UKBouldering.com

Snowden Crag - Update (Read 1632 times)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Snowden Crag - Update
August 31, 2022, 10:17:16 am
What exactly do you propose the BMC "does" to negotiate access to Whitehouses? Given that it's on private rather than access land. Also given the holds are gone it's likely to be very very limited potential for climbing now right?

As far as Snowden goes, the reps have been discussing our right to be there with the council and raised the fact there are no clear access points to the access land. There have also been discussions with locals as we try and work out who greased the crag up. As far as I know nobody has gone in to clean up yet which is in line with the softly softly approach generally advocated back when it happened a few months ago. I think it's reasonably likely its washed off to be honest. If anyone goes up for a walk and sees what the situation is PM me. It will have been quiet over summer but night start getting a few visitors again come autumn.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 11:47:24 am by Bonjoy »

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1 Re: Re: Whitehouses- JCB
August 31, 2022, 10:29:14 am
The very clear access point to the access land is the 5 bar gate here
https://goo.gl/maps/Nf8TTFqh9U9yXui76 which you can access by walking down the road a bit from the massive lay-by to the south. Would suggest this is the most appropriate approach rather than the half lay be nearer the crag.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#2 Re: Re: Whitehouses- JCB
October 18, 2022, 09:30:07 am
Just updating this on here despite the thread being about the wrong crag!

North Yorks County Council have been replying to emails at glacial speed...but we have now finally established with them that there is no optimal existing access point to the crags despite maps suggesting otherwise, that we do have a right to be there as its access land, and that as per access land rules we can access the land by climbing over gates/fences as long as no damage is done. The council have submitted a land registry request to try and ascertain the owner of the land, upon which they say they will try and discuss with both them and any tenant farmers to see if a stile can be installed. Based in current reply times I doubt this will be speedy!

In the meantime I will arrange for the RAD to be updated with the parking and approach info detailed below by Stubs. Hopefully people will start going back in dribs and drabs, having parked correctly, and there will be no repercussions. The RAD will also advise no lamping as there are houses nearby.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: Re: Whitehouses- JCB
October 18, 2022, 10:11:59 am
Mods, can this have a thread split to give the posts about Snowden Crag access their own thread, please?

Bradders

• forum hero
#4 Re: Re: Whitehouses- JCB
October 18, 2022, 11:06:57 am
Has anyone been to Snowden since it was axle greased? Is it still there?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#5 Re: Snowden Crag - Update
October 18, 2022, 12:52:09 pm
I'm not aware of anyone going up. The original plan was to leave it for a while to let whatever the tension was die down, then it got really hot and nobody was climbing on grit over the summer! I'd guess the weather has largely cleared it up by now but would be interested to know. Always thought it looked like a decent little crag.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#6 Re: Snowden Crag - Update
October 18, 2022, 01:01:54 pm
Cheers for the update. Im keen for a few things there this winter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal