UKBouldering.com

Manchester: Walls and evening grit for a lonesome Southerner (Read 3880 times)

Durbs

• forum hero
Howdy,

So I'll be working up in Manchester from the 30th Sept - 3 Oct, staying in one of the no-doubt outstanding Premier Inns in the city centre. Should be finishing work around 5, so was looking for some evening entertainment. There seem to be a fair number of walls in the area, so just wondered which would be a good place to visit in the evening.

Alternatively/Also - would it be realistic to head into the Peak for an evening - gets dark around 9 at the moment, how long a drive is it from the city centre to nice low/mid-grade (6b max) boulders?

tomtom

• forum hero
You and dunnyg should hook up xxx ;)

But... Wall wise, rockover nearer city centre and Stockport are best options..  Peak venues are 60-80 min away traffic depending...

Cheshire (Harmers, Helsby, Frodsham) are 35-45 min away.. And very good options..

Brownstones (nr Bolton) similar distance but I'm not taken by it...

JamieG

• forum hero
Hi Durbs,

If you want an evening on real rock. I'd recommend the Cheshire venues over peak from Manchester, solely because the traffic in that direction is usually much easier (pinch of salt). Second Rockover as a good choice from the city centre for a wall session.

Wimberry is also an option for bouldering. Usually quiet up there, and plenty good lines to have a go at.

Cheers Jamie

tomtom

• forum hero
Yes Wimberry is a good shout. Pm me nearer the time and if I'm about and going out etc... Weather depending blah blah..

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
I'd agree with the above, getting to the Peak from Manc of an evening is a mare

As has been said, Cheshire, Wimberry, Hobson Moor or any of the Lancs venues.

Durbs

• forum hero
Wicked stuff - thanks for the info - no lone hotel-drinking for me!

I think I've been to Wimberry, got thoroughly spanked on everything, then midged out, then harrased by some knobheads in smoking it up in a car... First impressions an' all.

tomtom

• forum hero

I think I've been to Wimberry, got thoroughly spanked on everything, then midged out, then harrased by some knobheads in smoking it up in a car... First impressions an' all.

Thats can be fairly typical.. plus the rock is mega rough and I always seem to leave with no skin!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Pex is 30 mins down the 62, don't miss it!

galpinos

• forum hero
I'm in SW Manchester and will happily join you for a wall/Cheshire session on a Thursday night if you pm me nearer the time. Sam, erm sam is noally out and about on a Wednesday as well.

Durbs

• forum hero
Wicked stuff - cheers all.

Prepare to be dazzled by some amazingly mediocre climbing skillz

JamieG

• forum hero

Thats can be fairly typical.. plus the rock is mega rough and I always seem to leave with no skin!

Hmmmm, I've been to Wimberry quite a lot and never got any grief. I'd agree the midgies can be bad, especially on the lower boulders.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
I'd be keen to get out one of those evenings but don't drive into work, if the weathers shit there's always beer, personally I'd avoid Rockover, but each to their own

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
You could reach a few of the S Lancs quarries fairly easily. Lots to do at Brownstones and the Wiltons plus other stuff scattered around.

If you prefer natural grit, you can also get to Blackstone Edge in under 30min (traffic allowing) by heading east on the M62. Loads of lower grade stuff there. Here's a write up of Blackstone http://www.lancashirebouldering.com/blackstone-edge/

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
agree with all the above but it gets dark before 9 now (and rapidly closing)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures

Durbs

• forum hero
Sorry if anyone was expecting contact from me - 3 days of training wiped me out Thursday afternoon so didn't make it out.

Had a good weekend on the rock though - great weather after a soggy start to Saturday. Still didn't get bloody Strawberries though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal