UKBouldering.com

How to make pads less slippy/mobile? (Read 2130 times)

benno

• menacing presence
How to make pads less slippy/mobile?
October 15, 2014, 04:52:10 pm
Hi all, did some searching, but to no avail. I seem to remember reading somewhere about someone using spray-on rubber of some sort on the back of their pad to make it less slippy on slopey landings, and was interested to know whether anyone here had done anything similar and could recommend some goop to use? I've got an Edelrid Mantle, which is fairly keen to skid about and this was quite a big factor in the utter trashing of my girlfriend's ankle on a seemingly innocuous fall a while ago. Failing any spray-based solutions, what else do people do to mitigate this kind of thing?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: How to make pads less slippy/mobile?
October 15, 2014, 05:38:28 pm
Some folk carry tent pegs. I tend to rely on trying to build a bit of a stack with a stable flat top, usually with one or two folded pads under the back. Spotter should act as a downhill stop too.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: How to make pads less slippy/mobile?
October 15, 2014, 05:53:25 pm
For mats with a slidy plastic bottom - I often flip them over when they're on a wet slopey landing (so likely to slide).. My little Snap Pizza mat thing is lethal for that..

Personally I think the plastic bottom advantages (rapid cow shit removal, and low water ingress) generally outweigh the disadvantages..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal