UKBouldering.com

Carrock fell boulders (Read 4731 times)

LJ

• addict
Carrock fell boulders
July 21, 2004, 09:18:01 pm
Not sure which forum this really belongs in!

Basically this weekend will be visiting family up near penrith, hpoefully will be able to nab a few hours bouldering and this looks like the most likely venue due to its location (after looking on lakesbloc). Basically im just after any info at all about the place - how to get there, where to park, paths etc? How obvious are the boulders? And of course which problems should i try!?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers, Laurie

Nigel

• forum hero
#1 Carrock fell boulders
July 21, 2004, 09:35:46 pm
Takes about 15-20 minutes drive from Penrith. Go down A66 eastwards for 8 (ish? guess!) miles until you see a signposted right turn to "Mungisedale" and "Caldbeck". Take this, after about 3 miles and having passed through a few small hamlets you will arrive at a VERY obvious boulder strewn hillside. Drive to the far end of this until you see three obvious large boulders; pull over anywhere here, big grassy lay-by.

These three boulders are the main attraction, the problems are all fairly obvious and well chalked. Have fun!

LJ

• addict
#2 Carrock fell boulders
July 21, 2004, 10:29:46 pm
Why thank u very much good man, what are the quality of problems like, anything i should definately seek out up to V5-6

Nigel

• forum hero
#3 Carrock fell boulders
July 21, 2004, 11:00:50 pm
OK, the quality:

On the top boulder, there are lines all over the high flat face between V4 and V7 and all are excellent. The downhill arete of this face is also a top V6 from a sitter.

Not done anything on the middle boulder i'm afraid.

The bottom boulder has an obvious roof facing the road, the left hand sitter in it is a great V4 from the jug in the roof and V6/7 from the slightly lower holds. The face round to the left has some V5/V6 lines aswell.

The rest of the hillside is dotted with problems but I couldn't tell you where they are so I'll have to leave it with you!

LJ

• addict
#4 Carrock fell boulders
July 21, 2004, 11:10:23 pm
Cheers it all sounds quality, the few pics i have seen look quality. Will prob only have time to look round the main attractions, cheers for the beta

webbo

• forum hero
#5 Carrock fell boulders
July 30, 2004, 05:14:24 pm
nigel. i visited as you suggested.great spot, i did the headless chicken routine running round trying every thing and not getting up much :oops:  do you know what the left arete is, the one just left of the v4 on the lower boulder.

squeek

• junky
#6 Carrock fell boulders
August 13, 2004, 09:32:35 am
Are these boulders fast drying?  I might have a look tomorrow as the forecasts ok for tomorrow, but it's been raining pretty hard the last few days.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#7 Carrock fell boulders
August 13, 2004, 10:50:05 am
squeek, wouldn't bother mate. the landings will be soaking. as 8-9 inche deep pools of water under at least 2 of the main boulders. plus its midge hell. i climbed for about 20 minutes then i literally ran to the car cos it was so bad.

squeek

• junky
#8 Carrock fell boulders
August 13, 2004, 11:12:40 am
Ok, cheers for that I'll save my energy for the traverse at Wilton next week, or I'll try and stop at the Bowderstone and try Picnic Sarcastic again.

squeek

• junky
#9 Carrock fell boulders
August 16, 2004, 12:32:28 pm
Quote from: "Fingers of a Martyr"
squeek, wouldn't bother mate. the landings will be soaking. as 8-9 inche deep pools of water under at least 2 of the main boulders. plus its midge hell. i climbed for about 20 minutes then i literally ran to the car cos it was so bad.

Went into Keswick to get a new bouldering mat yesterday (POD XL :) ) so I went to look at them on the way, didn't do any climbing though.  Midgies weren't too bad, but there was a little breeze and it was raining a little.  There were a few small streams running down by the boulders as well.  They look good though, the problems on the overhaning wall on the first boulder.  There must be quite a few other problems scattered all over the hillside as well.  Think I'll pop in next time I'm up and the weather's good.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#10 Carrock fell boulders
June 30, 2005, 08:25:56 pm
Thanks for the Carrock guide Greg, looks good. I'm staying near Keswick this weekend and hopefully will check out the fell on Sunday or Monday. Anyone around if it's not too hot?

Forecast looks good and there might be some breeze to keep the midges away.  I like the idea of the swimming hole, whats the knowledge? is it super cold even in summer? We regular jump into Black Moss Pot in Borrowdale, which can be a bit nippy!  :shock:

tc

• junky
#11 Carrock fell boulders
July 01, 2005, 01:49:44 pm
PM me if you want some company Monday evening as I should be back from Sheffield by then. But only if there's a breeze. That is, PM me if there's a breeze rather than I should be back from Sheffield if there's a bre...oh, fuck it - you know what I mean. :roll: Make sure you check out the stuff that's not on the main 3 boulders at the northern end.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal