UKBouldering.com

Flashed Ronin UKB bulk purchase (Read 2186 times)

petejh

• forum hero
Flashed Ronin UKB bulk purchase
October 11, 2014, 01:23:40 pm
Anyone have any long-term feedback on the Ronin air pads?
I've recently become interested in thinking about how best to protect some highball lines which I'm inspired to try and, other than lots of big pads, these seem like a good option, assuming you land on it...

Also, would anyone be interested in putting together a UKB bulk purchase of Ronins? I'd be prepared to do some leg-work to find out if would be worthwhile, if say ten people were prepared to shell out. The exchange rate has dropped in the pound's favour since these were last available in the UK (see thread: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,17852.50.html) and I'm assuming we'd be talking somewhere around £250. Regards the VAT - I'm registered for VAT on the flat rate scheme, someone correct me but I think that means I couldn't offset the VAT on purchases such as this? I have a Canadian bank account which might be useful.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1 Re: Flashed Ronin UKB bulk purchase
October 11, 2014, 01:34:06 pm
You can only reclaim input VAT on the flat rate scheme on capital items over £2k.

I'm not sure how you'd persuade HMRC that 10 air pads were a capital item & purely for business use (especially as you'd only own one of them!).

petejh

• forum hero
#2 Re: Flashed Ronin UKB bulk purchase
October 11, 2014, 01:53:52 pm
I manage rope access for an industrial services company - collective fall protection? :shrug:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#3 Re: Flashed Ronin UKB bulk purchase
October 11, 2014, 02:07:59 pm
They'll know doylo can't fall

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4 Re: Flashed Ronin UKB bulk purchase
October 11, 2014, 02:11:14 pm
YHM Pete.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Flashed Ronin UKB bulk purchase
October 11, 2014, 05:38:41 pm
On the  performance rather than tax avoidance side, I've had one for 3 years. They are a significant improvement over standard mats, and mine is still going strong. They are particularly good if you're not landing on your feet as there is a direct relationship between the area which impacts on the mat and the dispersal of fall energy, if that makes sense.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: Flashed Ronin UKB bulk purchase
October 11, 2014, 08:29:49 pm
Graeme sold all his then? Must admit I was tempted in the past, they do look heavy though?

Collective fall protection sounds more convincing to me than, say, a mobile office?

nic mullin

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Flashed Ronin UKB bulk purchase
October 11, 2014, 11:34:43 pm
Anyone have any long-term feedback on the Ronin air pads?

I've had one for about 3 years.

Good points are that they're really good to land on, and they don't go soft/thin like foam pads do - mine's still as good as when I bought it. They don't have an abrupt step at the edge to roll your ankle on if you land with a foot half on the pad. When carrying it sits low on your shoulders when so doesn't get caught on trees. It's comfy to sit or sleep on, fit in the boot of most cars and can be taken apart and packed up to go on a plane as regular luggage. Apart from the carrying straps/buckles (see below) the casing is pretty well made (mine's a bit ratty, but has seen quite a bit of use) and I like the wraparound/flap bit that holds it closed - if you carry stuff in the pad, it doesn't fall out.

Bad points are that they weigh a ton, the buckles for the carrying straps are cheap generic plastic (as oposed to the unbreakable buckles that hold the pad closed when folded) and a) slip down the straps so the constantly need pulling tight while you walk and b) break. These are sewn onto the straps/casing of the pad, so are hard to replace. Bear in mind that I carry quite a bit of stuff in the pad and often carry another regular sized pad on the back of it, so there's a lot of weight on the shoulder straps of the air pad - if you carry less this might not be a problem.

Anothere issue is that the foam and air cell layers slide around in the pad on sloping landings, and all bunches up at the bottom end. Also, the closed cell foam on the upper layer tends to crease when the pad is folded up, and doesn't fully unfold when you open the pad out, leaving a 10cm wide line of triple-folded foam in the middle and a soft spot at one end. When the foam moves about you have to open the pad up and sort it out or put up with it, which is a pain.

When I replace mine, I'll probably get two medium size pads or something like the big trangoworld air pad (which I've used and is very good, but quite different and also heavy) for similar money, rather than get another Ronin.

Hope that's of some help.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#8 Re: Flashed Ronin UKB bulk purchase
October 12, 2014, 04:53:29 pm
i have the Mk1 and the mk2.

There are heavier, but i dont have the problem with the shoulder harness slipping, in fact i think its rather good. you can get a lot of weight onto your hips.

i also dont have the problem of the foam cells skewing to one end of the pad in sloping ground.

the mk2 is a lot lighter than the mk1.

downsides... yep, they are heavy... sit starts are true sitters, as the air cells deflate in the area u sit on....

upsides.... there work brilliantly for big distance falls and as joe says uncontrolled sideways landings. the highlight of my mk1s career was my then 10 year old eldest slipping of the top of a 30ft VS arete solo somewhere near impossible slab at stanage... full flight from the top... he got up and then did it. with my aged legs i defo rate them. however ive not used any other type of pad for many years, so foam tech may have come on in recent times.

would i buy again... yes, my pads are not used all year long  - i dont boulder much in the summer - but iirc the mk1 is 6 winters old. it does not need replacing... so for £250 you get a long lasting product.

*disclaimer, I was one of the importers with Graeme for the last batch*

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal