UKBouldering.com

New climbing wall slabby shock (Read 3474 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
New climbing wall slabby shock
May 04, 2015, 02:08:56 pm
I was at a newly opened local wall at the weekend, one of three owned by the DAV in the Greater Munich area, and in comparison to other modern walls it’s amazingly slabby. Most of the terrain is from just below to just above vertical with only a few much steeper sections.

I wonder what has prompted this and if less steep walls are going to be a general trend. I suspect the DAV have looked closely at the visitor traffic at their other walls, both of which have large fairly newish sections (about five years old) and noticed the less steep terrain is always crowded and the big overhangs often much less so.

If so then this has a lot to do with beginners – especially the majority of beginners who aren’t strapping young blokes – finding the steep stuff intimidating, and rather less to do with providing more realistic training opportunities for actual climbers. But I wonder if it might benefit us as a side effect too. In reality I rarely find myself hauling huge jugs on massively overhanging terrain except indoors. Our local setters also tend to be actual climbers, and I found that they’ve generally done a good job of setting technically challenging not so steep routes.

There was a crimpy 6c with a just barely overhanging crux on which I managed to get quite adequately pumped despite the lack of steepness. But also a slabby 7a that had nice thin moves, but I decided not to adopt it as a project for fear of losing a kneecap to one of the jugs on the adjacent Yellow 4+. That is a big problem with lead walls that aren’t overhanging.

(There was an IFSC standard speed route to, but I didn’t get on it for fear of not being able to do it at all. Those red starfish blobs are more rounded than they look on the telly)

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: New climbing wall slabby shock
May 04, 2015, 03:05:15 pm
people do tend to take at least ten times longer on slabby stuff than steep though, which could be exacerbated by the fact that people like to gravitate towards climbing together (generally; and beginners especially). that being said more less steep stuff is probably better suited to beginners and the majority of climbing wall patrons. 

fried

• forum hero
#2 Re: New climbing wall slabby shock
May 04, 2015, 05:02:09 pm
My wall in Paris has a lot more vertical, slightly off vertical, etc type profiles than the other wall in the city. I found that most of the other walls leaned heavily towards banks of overhangs and roofs.

I personally prefer climbing on vert/ slabs/ just off vert problems, especially if they're well set. I reckon they translate better into oudoor gains on the stuff I like. I do however try to do a session a week ( or 2 just on steep stuff).

I notice that indoor slabs are busy when they're set, but interest in them dies off quickly as they get greasy. Beginners don't seem to find indoor slab climbing especially easy and much prefer vertical walls on jugs which is where the easy money probably is.

I don't have any facts or figured but I'd bet that in many city walls cases their general users are midday office workers looking for a quick exercise fix. A large percentage of my walls users especially when it opened a few years ago had never climbed before. Thankfully it's run by climbers who set for everyone.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#3 Re: New climbing wall slabby shock
May 04, 2015, 07:04:01 pm
I personally prefer climbing on vert/ slabs/ just off vert problems, especially if they're well set. I reckon they translate better into oudoor gains on the stuff I like.
I reckon that too, but I wonder if I'm just pandering to my strengths and avoiding my weaknesses. I'm fine with standing around figuring out tricky sequences, but fall apart mentally as soon as the pump clock starts ticking.

fried

• forum hero
#4 Re: New climbing wall slabby shock
May 04, 2015, 07:52:20 pm
You sound exactly like me. I was posting in hope that someone was going to call me out for being a lazy bastard.

I start off thinking 'go steep or go home' and end up going vert so I don't have to go home.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#5 Re: New climbing wall slabby shock
May 04, 2015, 08:17:03 pm
Outdoors, I favour vertical and slightly overhanging techy-ness but indoors, I favour the kind of steepness that leaves you utterly beasted but incredibly satisfied.  Indoor slabs often  seem a good way to get hurt - with harder problems being a combination of skin-unfriendly, tendon snapping handholds with slippy smears for feet.  Usually with volumes and the jugs of easier lines ready to impale you when the smear "blows".  I personally avoid them like the plague.  I guess that I am possibly not the customer most walls aim for - my ideal wall would just be lots of steep, flat boards (no volumes) - from around 20 to 55 degrees overhanging with lots of crimps and crap footholds.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal