UKBouldering.com

Southern Sandstone Conditions (Read 6122 times)

andyh

• stalker
Southern Sandstone Conditions
September 20, 2014, 10:22:24 pm
Was thinking of making the driving down the M4/M25 tomorrow, but wasn't sure with the rain we've had.

Anyone been or know if it'll have stayed dry? Thinking maybe Stone Farm but open to other suggestions...

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:52:30 pm by andyh »

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
September 21, 2014, 02:14:20 pm
There already is a thread for this:  http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=16630.0

It probably makes more sense for this to become the thread though so people find it when they search for 'southern sandstone.'

I'm in Scotland so can't help you on conditions though.

csl

• junky
#2 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
June 27, 2016, 03:13:43 pm
Now, good idea or not, i'm keen to check out some southern sandstone bouldering. I'm aware that it shouldn't be climbed on when even remotely damp, but also heard Fandango wall at Bowles was ever-dry. Is this the case?

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#3 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
June 27, 2016, 04:27:03 pm
Now, good idea or not, i'm keen to check out some southern sandstone bouldering. I'm aware that it shouldn't be climbed on when even remotely damp, but also heard Fandango wall at Bowles was ever-dry. Is this the case?
Was dry on the single day I have been there (not overly psyched to return). I think there was overnight rain and a lot of the rest of the crag was wet at the time?

TheTwig

• stalker
#4 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
June 27, 2016, 07:12:01 pm
I'm committing blasphemy here but as a long-time local my opinion is that the sandstone is utter shite. I would rather go to one of the (excellent) local gyms than waste an afternoon top-roping 4 climbs, or trying to find some non-elbow wrecking problems  :worms:

That said, there has been tons of rain. I'd be amazed if anything other than Fandango, but is that really worth a trip?

csl

• junky
#5 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
June 27, 2016, 07:30:54 pm
'but is that really worth a trip?'

I don't know yet. I've been told its shite, but since its an hour from my house and i'm a rock starved Londoner, i'd rather just make my own mind up.

And although i know it will be wet, some of the stuff at Eridge looks of reasonable quality?

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#6 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
June 27, 2016, 09:00:37 pm
Give it a bash. I've been a few times and its not bad.  Bowles OK, theres loads of bouldering at other venues too.   free guides online. I think people give it a hard time.  I beats yet more time in a chalky wall...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
July 04, 2016, 02:52:31 pm
If it's that close, it's actually OK on a good day. Hard to do anything hard, but good for a potter, and makes you appreciate other rocks more.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#8 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
July 08, 2016, 10:58:16 am
'but is that really worth a trip?'

I don't know yet. I've been told its shite, but since its an hour from my house and i'm a rock starved Londoner, i'd rather just make my own mind up.

And although i know it will be wet, some of the stuff at Eridge looks of reasonable quality?
Despite what I said above, I'm thinking of heading this weekend as the weather up North looks terrible.

Was Eridge any good csl?

Also, if anyone wants to join me, I have a space and pads heading from London

petekitso

• player
#9 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
April 18, 2018, 08:11:57 pm
Has anyone been out this week?

I am wondering particularly about Eridge and Under Rockes for the weekend after this current dry spell.

Thanks

Yossarian

• forum hero
#10 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
April 18, 2018, 08:44:42 pm
Both Harrisons and Bowles are pretty dry. Was meaning to pop to Eridge tomorrow or Friday if I have time. Might make it out Sat PM or Sun AM too, if you need a belay...?

csl

• junky
#11 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
April 19, 2018, 08:18:49 am
Eridge looks like its dry at the moment, this is from Monday. https://www.instagram.com/p/BhjBhSnj3E-/?taken-by=ben.can.read

petekitso

• player
#12 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
April 19, 2018, 07:17:43 pm
Thanks both of you - Eridge it is . . .

Yossariam, belay offer gratefully received - will have a couple of erratic children with me on Saturday but another time?

petekitso

• player
#13 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
April 19, 2018, 07:18:39 pm
Sorry - N

Yossarian

• forum hero
#14 Re: Southern Sandstone Conditions
April 19, 2018, 08:05:18 pm
Sure - drop me a message whenever.

I went to Harrison’s this afternoon and it was like an oven. Still some wet streaks here and there, but I would imagine there won’t be many left by the weekend.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal