The Roost is banned (Read 11349 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
The Roost is banned
September 12, 2014, 04:18:06 pm
https://twitter.com/Team_BMC/status/510435248099045376

Thanks to the sheer fucktardery of some feckless jizzweasel(s), The Roost is now banned. There was no excuse for not approaching from the bottom and now the guilty party have pissed on the chips of all the other hard climbers in Yorkshire (of which I am not one).

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1 Re: The Roost is banned
September 12, 2014, 04:25:54 pm
Whoever it was should have their rack run over. Morons.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#2 Re: The Roost is banned
September 12, 2014, 04:29:24 pm
Un-fucking-believable. Who climbs past a lower off and who on earth would think its ok climb over a fence and across someone's garden?

csl

• junky
#3 Re: The Roost is banned
September 12, 2014, 05:28:24 pm
Wankers, only went once but would have liked to go back!

JohnM

• junky
#4 Re: The Roost is banned
September 12, 2014, 05:53:36 pm
If the land owner didn't like the idea of people climbing there in general he could just be saying that people have done this.  I have never been so I don't know the layout but it is it likely that people were going to the top do put a top rope down some of the routes?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 09:21:37 am
If the land owner didn't like the idea of people climbing there in general he could just be saying that people have done this.  I have never been so I don't know the layout but it is it likely that people were going to the top do put a top rope down some of the routes?

Remotely possible, but unlikely. R

Regardless of what they were doing it was clear that you shouldn't top out or go to the top of the crag regardless of circumstance. If they weren't capable of leading they should have gone somewhere else.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#6 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 01:37:26 pm

You mean like the owners must have made up that some boulderers were shitting, swearing and leaving litter at Eagle Tor (which was effectively their back garden where their kids played), as we are all too angelic to be involved in stuff like that and risk a ban (which of course happened)? I think some climbers do some really dumb things and clearly don't care about consequencies and before we blame the landowners we need to ensure we are not the main problem.

T_B

• forum hero
#7 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 02:49:38 pm

You mean like the owners must have made up that some boulderers were shitting, swearing and leaving litter at Eagle Tor (which was effectively their back garden where their kids played), as we are all too angelic to be involved in stuff like that and risk a ban (which of course happened)?

Really? Says who? I'm always sceptical (for which I've been puntered) about these reports (including this recent Roost report) as you only ever seem to hear one side of the story. I was at Cratcliffe the other weekend. Honeypot bouldering venue and I didn't see one piece of litter, finger tape or fag butt. Certainly no sh*t. Which is more than can be said about venues in the Peak that attract the 'general public'.

Boredboy

• menacing presence
#8 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 03:15:37 pm
I remember seeing used bog paper littering eagle tor before it was banned. Not as bad as your average Spanish crag tho.

kelvin

• forum hero
#9 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 03:17:37 pm
I'd back the Cratcliffe thing up - not a jot of rubbish there last week. We had a bag for ours (bloody packaging) and I was happy to have a nose around and take some extra home but found nothing.

Curbar the day before however, was covered in litter but non of which I'd associate with climbers - tape etc. What there was could just as easily have blown over the top from dog walkers.

Nowhere in Britain is as bad as Spain.

T_B

• forum hero
#10 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 03:22:29 pm
I remember seeing used bog paper littering eagle tor before it was banned. Not as bad as your average Spanish crag tho.

It's a very popular easy punter walk past the boulders, so it could easily have been walkers doing the pooing. Boulderers don't tend to sh*t by boulders for obvious reasons.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#11 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 03:49:31 pm
Well I've cleared climbing tape from Cratcliffe that your average rambler wont be dropping and seen plenty of turds and t.p. on areas only climbers go (like for example mid route). The footpath btw goes round Eagle Tor not over it and with the boulder being quite close to the house you need to be desperate as a walker to pretty suddenly need to go in there.

I think the behaviour of climbers is getting better in the UK but to deny we have any bad eggs is not sustainable given the smell and is pretty stupid if we want to maintain negotiated access in sensitive situations.

dave

#12 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 04:31:54 pm

Boulderers don't tend to sh*t by boulders for obvious reasons.

Except in Albarracin.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#13 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 05:59:53 pm
I really hope people aren't suggesting that climbers don't shit at climbing destinations? I've shat at many

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#14 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 06:50:39 pm
I have a photo of a 13 inch effort at the top of a UK route that shows virtually every section of that poo chart the doctors use. It's creator had recently won a big boulder comp (...now relax). So this idea that climbers only ever shit on their patch in continental europe is really very cute in a similar way to men who think women don't fart.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#15 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 06:53:10 pm
I'm sure that climbers do their best to do their number twos before they leave the house, but I'm not sure what makes people think that climbers are in some way exempt from the Rules of the Bowel which everybody else is subject to. I've pooed at a couple of crags (Sron na Ciche, Ravensdale and perhaps another) when I've been caught short. Rest assured, I did not sunnily leave the house that morning thinking "oo I can't wait to drop my kecks and squat behind a bush today"

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#16 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 07:04:41 pm
No point leaving the house until you've lightened the load. Have patience :coffee:

joeisidle

• addict
#17 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 08:34:28 pm
In a strange and pretty rank coincidence, someone took a shit under razor roof at Cratcliffe yesterday, not bothering to try and bury it or hide the reams of toilet paper they'd left behind. Probably not climbers, at least I'd hope not as it was right underneath where you'd fall, but still not exactly the greatest advert for public access...

danm

• junky
#18 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 09:17:58 pm
I think we need to split this thread, with a new thread called "Dumps I have done at the crag."

This year me and Grimer helped out with an innovative way of sorting out the bird ban at a Peak crag. We were to climb routes starting far left, and carry on until the birds started getting upset, all under the watchful eye of a binocular-equipped wildlife warden. I'd already shat myself getting into the van in the morning, and although I'd cleaned myself up I still felt decidedly off-colour.  On arrival I discretely informed Grimer that he might prefer to do all the leading to avoid any nastiness from above. Walking up to the crag unfortunately set things off again, leading to a frantic sprint for somewhere, anywhere, that the warden couldn't see me from. God help me but what came out  has probably killed the poor tree I ended up crouched behind.

Humorous anecdotes aside, climbers are pretty much the same as everyone else - some don't give a toss about anyone else, others are paragons of virtue, and most sit somewhere in-between. Maybe we'll get The Roost back eventually, but in the meantime all we can do is behave the best we can where access is sensitive.

scooba2cv

#19 Re: The Roost is banned
September 15, 2014, 09:29:27 pm
In a strange and pretty rank coincidence, someone took a shit under razor roof at Cratcliffe yesterday, not bothering to try and bury it or hide the reams of toilet paper they'd left behind. Probably not climbers, at least I'd hope not as it was right underneath where you'd fall, but still not exactly the greatest advert for public access...

Yup, Disgusting. There is also a good sized log or two under Look at Me. We assumed it can't have been climbers and it didn't look that fresh. We managed to flick the one underneath Razor down into the woods but the smell put us off staying around to actually climb.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#20 Re: The Roost is banned
September 16, 2014, 11:28:44 am
I think we need to split this thread, with a new thread called "Dumps I have done at the crag."

Thread going to the logpile?

I've been at a seacliff (it was Reiff I think) and found a small suitable seawashed gully to take a dump into longdrop style and the sea dispose of it at the next tide. I hadn't factored in the minor swell running though, and got a saltwater jet douche for my troubles, almost fell into the inlet in fright!

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: The Roost is banned
September 16, 2014, 12:26:38 pm

Thread going to the logpile?

I've been at a seacliff (it was Reiff I think) and found a small suitable seawashed gully to take a dump into longdrop style and the sea dispose of it at the next tide. I hadn't factored in the minor swell running though, and got a saltwater jet douche for my troubles, almost fell into the inlet in fright!

Free saltwater enema's !!! Vote Yes!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#22 Re: The Roost is banned
September 16, 2014, 12:27:58 pm
With enemas like that who needs friends?

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: The Roost is banned
September 16, 2014, 12:28:42 pm
With enemas like that who needs friends?

Is this how Alex Salmond lost so much weight recently?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#24 Re: The Roost is banned
September 16, 2014, 06:32:23 pm
I see you've puntered 2 of us for having a shit Lund. You absolute genius

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#25 Re: The Roost is banned
September 16, 2014, 07:11:12 pm
Does a bear shit in woods?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#26 Re: The Roost is banned
September 16, 2014, 07:26:41 pm
I have a photo of a 13 inch effort at the top of a UK route that shows virtually every section of that poo chart the doctors use.
I compel you to post it.

Lund, have you never had the shits before? You really must try it sometime.

tomtom

• forum hero

petejh

• forum hero
#28 Re: The Roost is banned
September 16, 2014, 10:14:16 pm
I once had to take a shit half-way up Memory Lane. Best thing for it.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#29 Re: The Roost is banned
September 17, 2014, 01:05:57 am
I once had to take a shit half way along the long ridge traverse, left no paper though

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#30 Re: The Roost is banned
September 17, 2014, 09:56:41 am
Unfortunately some of us do shit in our own back gardens. This seems to have increased in the last 15 years or so in the UK. Take a look in the cave at Quarryman's Wall, Winspit Quarry which had an in situ bog roll when I was last there. It is unlikely to be non-climbers at fault here.

Lightening the load before getting to the crag is clearly optimal but, in case you can't manage this, I suggest people carry a children's hand trowel (and a cigarette lighter for the paper).

tomtom

• forum hero
#31 Re: The Roost is banned
September 17, 2014, 01:30:29 pm
Lightening the load before getting to the crag is clearly optimal but, in case you can't manage this, I suggest people carry a children's hand trowel (and a cigarette lighter for the paper).

Or a plastic bag...

kelvin

• forum hero
#32 Re: The Roost is banned
September 17, 2014, 01:43:57 pm
I tried burning the toilet paer but it's usually covered in damp shit. Takes ages to burn and smells like shit unfortunately. Nappy sacks for the paper works a treat.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#33 Re: The Roost is banned
September 17, 2014, 10:33:41 pm
Lund you are a fucking disgrace. The ridiculous idea that everyone can shit on command is beneath even UKC.

T_B

• forum hero
#34 Re: The Roost is banned
September 22, 2014, 09:09:25 am
Anyone walked down Burbage Valley recently? Pottered down towards Remergence yesterday with small children and there was literally a dog turd on every piece of grass lining the path. It's a f*cking disgrace. Maybe an 'end of summer' thing, but I've never noticed this being an issue before. There's literally a turd every few metres. [ kind of :off: rant ]

tomtom

• forum hero
#35 Re: The Roost is banned
September 22, 2014, 09:20:20 am
Anyone walked down Burbage Valley recently? Pottered down towards Remergence yesterday with small children and there was literally a dog turd on every piece of grass lining the path. It's a f*cking disgrace. Maybe an 'end of summer' thing, but I've never noticed this being an issue before. There's literally a turd every few metres. [ kind of :off: rant ]

I blame the weather...

Sorry - being half serious - its barely rained in the last 3 weeks - and I suspect the natural physical processes (biological ones are probably going full pelt) that help 'disperse' said poo have been running a bit slower than usual..

Either that or a bunch of fuckwit dog walkers are about (likely too)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal