UKBouldering.com

West Derby Cuttings (Read 5529 times)

BobbyBear

West Derby Cuttings
September 03, 2014, 10:37:42 pm
As a noobie yet to touch proper rock I've been considering possible nearby spots that I can alternate with the gym. Planning a trip to RAC in NorWal in a week or so with a work friend who can actually climb as a starter but couldnt help wonder if the sandstone I clambered on as a child could offer something decent.

Well growing up on the Wirral: Bidston Hill, Thor's Rock (spent a nite on there full of acid convinced there was no way down) and along the way. But the general consensus seems to be too soft. So seeing an ancient post citing a place 5 minutes  away has got me pumped for getting the mat in the banger.

Anybody been near the place of late and is there beginners routes etc etc Beta I believe is what's required....   

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 03, 2014, 11:20:31 pm
I too were a Wirral lad - what a majestic peninsula. I digress....

I used to climb a fair bit at West Derby Cuttings and possibly the post you refer to might be one from when we were trying to get hold of an old topo. In the end, I just used to go down there, do all the easy stuff listed and I added a few harder things. There was a fellow in Cumbria (?) selling or distributing this topo at one point in time though I can't remember his details nor find my copy.

I know a Wirralian who keeps hold of esoteric climbing nostalgia and paraphernalia so I'll try to ask him this week if he has it lurking on his '92 PC. In all honesty, if you were looking to get some outside time, for a comparable (or very very slightly longer journey) travel time, I'd advise you to go to Pex Hill in Cronton (near Widnes) instead. You'll be able to warm up much more easily on Pisa Wall and work your way through the harder eliminates and routes on Lady Jane Wall.

If you're ever at The Hangar in Liverpool, come over to the 50 degree board area (in the main) and say hello of a Tuesday or Thursday. I'd be happy to give you some local beta though until I crack a few immediate work tasks will be avoiding climbing for the next week or two.

As an aside, was that night you spent on acid on top of Thor's Rock the night the helicopter came to shut down the rave? Just ignore me if this makes no sense. You'll know what I mean if you were there.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 07:39:44 am
At the risk of sounding like Dense, the cuttings are shite and as Tom said, Pex is a far superior option...

There is some bouldering on the Wirral (check the UKC crag database) but be warned that most of it is not a patch on Pex. Well worth buying the Merseyside and Cheshire Sandstone guide IMO...

BobbyBear

#3 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 08:32:25 am
Cheers Gents,
I can be at Pex in about 20 minutes so I'll be checking that out next weekend. Clocked the guide and that will get bought today. I'd hoped for something that offered easy routes as 40, fat as a lord & stiff as a board.

I started out at the Hangar a few months back but life generally dictates 21.00 week night slots or first thing Sunday morning. Currently doing green/orange circuits with occasional blue routes, hard to miss, tall bearded chap falling off a lot. Stupid question but is the hall at the entrance classed as the main area? Haven't ventured any further with my virgin hands, apart from the pirate ship with the littlu'n.

There was a chopper out that night (which incidentally removed the LCD fear of gettin off the thing) but this was pre decade of chemical love. Yeah, don't really remember much about the 90s...

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#4 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 10:12:42 am
I lived in West Derby for a while ...and used to go to Pex :)
More 'acquired tastes' - cathedral walls, Otterspool prom, the Breck on the Wirral, Frodsham and of course the Mighty Harmers Wood, though short on beginner-friendly stuff.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 10:33:35 am
I'd suggest Harmers as pretty beginners friendly (though some stuff is a bit high).. Nice location and in fine condition ATM.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 11:36:35 am

BobbyBear

#7 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 12:29:53 pm
Glad I posed the question, I understand as a beginner the sooner I get out of the gym the better and in honesty was only contemplating North Wales and the Peak with the obvious ability restrictions and travel. Looking at Liverpool/Cheshire/Wirral as a whole there is more than plenty to be getting on with. Thank you all for the eye opener and advice. Harmer's sounds good as well as Pex. Some nostalgia and minutes from a weekly family visit is this...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=15525

No grades anybody here would be interested in but will have a dig for a topo. The UKC link is dead.

BobbyBear

#8 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 12:42:21 pm
Got an interview tomorrow for a new grindstone. 20 mins from Harmer's...No pressure then. :blink:

tc

• junky
#9 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 12:55:23 pm
Forget the climbing wall and definitely forget the Arno. Go to the Breck, Frodsham, Harmers (if dry) and Pex and you'll get fingers of steel.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#10 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 01:11:42 pm
If you are prepared to do trips to Wales or the Peak, Lancashire is also worth considering. Brownstones is great for easier grades, or if you carry on up the M6 you can have an ace day at Thorn Crag or Bull Stones. Heading east, you could also get to Blackstone Edge or Stony Edge in an hour, both of which have loads of friendly lower grade stuff.

BobbyBear

#11 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 01:56:59 pm
I'll be needing those fingers of steel to pull my carcass, The August Lardathon...Jesus, I've eaten fry ups that weighed more. Guidebook ordered and pass out for Harmer's or Pex next Sunday. Will definitely keep Lancs in mind but think I'll need to calculate mileage against digit development. Only going to RAC as planning some surf and have a static in Conwy.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#12 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 02:18:23 pm
Great stuff, hope you enjoy it. You can combine Harmers with a walk up to the top of Helsby Hill and have a potter along the very top tier just under the trig point. I gardened the Harmers V0/V1 back to life recently, on the left as you go into the Classroom so that's one to look at. Watch out if the rock's at all damp - it gets brittle and doesn't grow back  ;)

Muesli

• addict
#13 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 02:53:27 pm
A repository for wirral esoterica/topos etc can be found here.

http://doggiedoofiver.wikifoundry.com/page/Other+Bouldering+Venues+in+Wirral

The traverse-a-thon at Neston cuttings has intrigued me in the past when I used to spend time at Leahurst.

The Breck is a great place but don't go alone

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#14 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 04:24:08 pm
The Breck!!! How could I have forgotten the Breck!! :spank:

Second the advice to forget the Arno, proper :shit:

BobbyBear

#15 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 04, 2014, 07:37:13 pm
It'll be hard to avoid places I frequented as a kid simply for nostalgia reasons, even if its a one off. The Breck is minutes from an old girlfriends and as I will only get late weeknights and early morning weekends I'm sure Ill be OK for 'why yer got dem fukkin gay shoes on lad' interruptions. Besides nothing a bowie and cosh can't correct. I imagine being chased through the trees with a mat on my back by a gang of scrots to be less then desirable. Good cardio though :strongbench: Besides if I wear a black cap and a north face jacket they probably wouldn't bat a lid anyway...

tc

• junky
#16 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 05, 2014, 03:48:41 pm
The Breck is a great place but don't go alone

Nonsense. It's Wallasey not Detroit.

BobbyBear

#17 Re: West Derby Cuttings
September 05, 2014, 07:37:03 pm
 :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal