UKBouldering.com

Bullet holes on rock (Read 4935 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 05:42:54 pm
Hello all,
I was chatting to a researcher at a conference yesterday who is looking at how bullet holes interact with rock - what size holes they make, patterning etc.... theres a science reason somewhere but I've forgotten it.. They've been looking at bullet holes/marks on buildings (spain, dublin) as a starting point (you know when they happened etc..)...

So over a beer, I mentioned that there are several climbing places where there are bullet holes/marks and they are often an integral part of a problem (I thought of BBG West at first) and they were really interested in where these might be... I've a feeling there are loads - so does the collective mind of UKB any suggestions?

I guess one of the Wiltons as there is a firing range up there (but not been there for 10 years or so - so forgotten) - isnt one of the southern sandstone crags in a former shooting range too?
Cheers,
T

galpinos

• forum hero
#1 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 05:45:01 pm
I always thought the "pocks" on the pock block were from bullets.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 06:03:02 pm

Where's da pock block?

andy popp

• forum hero
#3 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 06:08:52 pm
Pex Hill is riddled with them. They make Pisa Wall the Mecca for super open drag pockets.  I think one of them still has the bullet embedded in it.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 06:10:43 pm

Where's da pock block?
I was always led to believe that too. That and a few other boulders at Burbage south apparently.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 06:11:13 pm

Where's da pock block?

Burbage south boulders.
Some shot wounds at Thorn.

rossydoodle61

• player
#6 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 06:21:50 pm
Burbage South boulders are the most obvious.

Could be wrong but from memory I think there are some on Dick Williams at Secret Garden? May even be used as holds.

dave

#7 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 06:32:47 pm
There's bullet wounds all over burbage west, south, higgar etc. Think the valley was used for training during one or both of the wars. Read somewhere it was the home guard.

dave

#8 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 06:33:54 pm
There's no bullet wounds on dick Williams that I can remember.

There is one that looks like it could be on hairpin boulder at froggatt.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 06:42:18 pm
Pretty sure there are a few visible at Bowden Doors too, especially in the Y Front area.

fried

• forum hero
#10 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 06:48:32 pm
I'll have to check with my contacts, but Canche aux Merciers used to be heavily used by the army, was in a terrible stater for a long time. Hard to believe they didn't get up it on Pastis and start shooting boulders. Never thought about it before, interesting. I'm sure some of those finger pockets could be bullet holes.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 06:57:50 pm
another shout for pisa wall at pex hill, loads of them

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 07:03:35 pm
Some good shouts there - thanks - keep em coming... hadnt thought of pex... are they not all partially rubbed away now/smeared out due to the years of shuffling?

Its probably quite important that they can constrain the dates of when the occurred... for example Pex might be a nightmare if it was used on and off for 50 years (just an example - I don't know) - whereas BBGWest might be great as this was just during WW2 - so we know they're 70 years old etc... this also gives you an idea of what weapon was used (relating to the size/velocity of the projectile etc..)

Also good to have them on a range of materials (sandstone and grit so far)..

galpinos

• forum hero
#13 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 07:38:15 pm
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=28801

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=158670

Can't believe you've not done it Tom. Pretty tough 5c. The boulder is riddled with billet holes, as are most of the boulders around there.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#14 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 07:41:40 pm

Can't believe you've not done it Tom. Pretty tough 5c. The boulder is riddled with billet holes, as are most of the boulders around there.

pretty obvious why he's not done it

SamT

• forum hero
#15 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 07:47:22 pm
Barring nearly every boulder in burbage valley (daves right - it was owned by the MOD for training in the WW2 and Sheffield City Council did quite well to buy it off them in the 50's by all accounts)..... most obvious to me would be the wall to the right of Cordite crack in Lawrence field. There's a clue in the name of the routes round there.  The gun that made them was an Anti Aircraft gun mounted on the concrete pillar with a stainless steel pin in the top that you pass as you walk away from Gingerbread slab towards the said routes.  I'm guessing the lads in charge of it thought they'd better just test to see if was working like.
Gives you a date, quite possibly an accurate guess at the gun and they are fairly untouched I guess.

interesting post.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#16 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 07:52:38 pm
 :wave:

:lol: trouble is a lot of them are a lot bigger and worn than they were twenty years ago, this one in particular. 

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#17 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 08:23:28 pm
I'll have to check with my contacts, but Canche aux Merciers used to be heavily used by the army, was in a terrible stater for a long time. Hard to believe they didn't get up it on Pastis and start shooting boulders. Never thought about it before, interesting. I'm sure some of those finger pockets could be bullet holes.

Canache aux merciers was not a live fire area, there used to be loads of brass but they would have been using BFAs, and I can't remember anything like a bullet hole either.

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 09:12:28 pm
I'm fairly sure there's an old video with James Litz and co. chipping a problem by shooting it.  Presumably (and hopefully) a rare example of it actually being done deliberately by climbers.  Possibly on an old Momentum thing or something like that.

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 10:42:19 pm

I have been there - in fact I believe it was with Mr Bieretoilepoisson... I didn't know it was called the pock boulder.

I think I did the 5c.... Thanks for the link Galpinos and other info people. V. Useful. Let me know of any others and I'll pass on if it comes to something or not... (Science wise)

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#20 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 03, 2014, 10:58:13 pm
White edge has some obvious ones

dave

#21 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 04, 2014, 12:04:18 am

Canache aux merciers was not a live fire area, there used to be loads of brass but they would have been using BFAs, and I can't remember anything like a bullet hole either.

The big starting jug on the La Puce dyno has a blank 5.56mm round lodged behind it.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#22 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 04, 2014, 12:20:50 am
The imaginatively  :thumbsup: named Colt in brownstones  :lol:. Wilton wall/Pigs on the wing is shot to bits now, shot hole climbing in the making.

Palomides

• forum abuser
#23 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 04, 2014, 08:48:06 am
According to this page : http://teessidewandering.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/ml-training-burbage/

The Burbage Valley was used for military training during World War 2 by a number of units between at least 1941 and 1944. There are numerous earthfast boulders scarred with bullet holes, mortar shell scars and at least four filled-in foxholes. Some of the boulders give the appearance of concrete pill boxes. The majority of boulders are usually hit only on one side. The troops were British and Canadian.

Which narrows down the dates, and might help with the weapons used?

tomtom

• forum hero
#24 Re: Bullet holes on rock
September 04, 2014, 08:53:36 am
Fantastic!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal