UKBouldering.com

New driver car insurance (Read 919 times)

DaveyDave

• addict
New driver car insurance
August 30, 2014, 10:36:58 am
Hiya guys,

Venturing into the expensive world of driving, and looking at getting a Fabia as my first car.

Does anyone have any advice about black boxes, good companies and badgering tactics for getting insurance?

20 years old, passed a few weeks ago, don't mind driving slowly if it's cheaper.

Cheers!

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: New driver car insurance
August 30, 2014, 01:03:10 pm
Yes, the black box & pay as you go are worth it, the stats on time of day vs collision are clear, later at night = massively greater risk and therefore more expensive.

Don't get tempted by 'fronting' i.e. registering the car at your parent's address (unless you live there obviously) if that reduces the premium, if you have a prang the insurance co will avoid the indemnity and recover the costs from you.

Look at the cost of insuring a 'classic' car, I head a friend's son bought a classic BMW and the insurance was about 50% of the cost of a 3 year old Corsa.

Ian W

#2 Re: New driver car insurance
August 30, 2014, 07:51:33 pm
Shop around on one of the comparison sites with all sorts of different scenarios.
First up, dont think you are restricted to small hatches; as Sloper said, try classics if you are into that sort of thing - we did with our eldest, and found that insuring a mazda mx5 was just over half the eye watering amount he was quoted for a punto 1200 (£1,300 vs. £2,200). So at 19 he was knocking around in an mx5, which is clearly cooler than any hatch, but a bit shit for getting boulder pads in.
Also, put one of your parent on as a named driver - this knocked about £70 off, even if they go nowhere near the car, and we also oddly found that it was cheaper to insure the car comprehensively whilst parked on the street overnight rather than tpft in a locked garage. For an MX5 convertible? go figure, we couldn't........Admittedly vehicle crime is low round these parts, but still.
We also found a handy trick with admiral multi car. If you have you as the "lead" car on the policy, you get a 20% discount if other family members transfer their cars to admiral at renewal. this cost me an additional £40, and Mrs W an extra £25, but this extr £65 got youth 20% off a £1300 policy........ it might not work for you, but its worth looking into for the potential couple of hundred you can save.

Gallant

• player
#3 Re: New driver car insurance
August 30, 2014, 08:06:06 pm
If you're a student check out Endsleigh, they were the cheapest I found for my age having just passed my test. I think my first year was a smidge over a grand on a corsa. Not fantastic but at 21 you can't really expect to pay much less than that for full comp,

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal