UKBouldering.com

Whistler Ski Trip - Accomodation Tips? (Read 8341 times)

Turboman

• addict
Whistler Ski Trip - Accomodation Tips?
August 22, 2014, 09:05:35 am
Bit of a long shot....
Myself, wife and two young kids are heading to Whistler over Xmas and New Year.  :2thumbsup:

We're having a mare finding suitable accomodation in the village.  Just wondered if anyone has a  recommendation?

Everything on line is either a tiny studio or $$$$$$.

We won't have a car so it needs to be easy walking distance to lifts and village centre also needs to have kitchen facilities and preferably separate bedroom.

Any knowledge appreciated.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Moon on a stick!

Big ask what you are looking for. Trouble with whistler is everything is going to be either small or expensive, as you say. You might have to compromise and rely on the good bus service.  You not considered a catered chalet?

chris j

• forum abuser
IIRC there's a good cheap shuttle bus service around the village and outlying areas so not having a car is not a huge problem. For more affordable accommodation Whistler Creek used to be a good option, has a lift for ski-in, ski-out but is a bit quieter than the main village (note I stayed there pre-Olympics so it is probably busier now...). 10 - 15 minutes by regular shuttle bus from the main village.

Turboman

• addict
Moon on a stick!

Think you may be right.  Been trying to avoid the shuttle bus option as two tired kids, ski kit and buses are a not a marriage made in heaven. Might have to reconsider it though.  We're far too anti-social for chalets :-)

SA Chris

• forum hero
Alternative place to go maybe? As great as Whistler is maybe choose somewhere a bit smaller if the kids are going to struggle with busses etc? Leave it for a few years until they can appreciate it more? Just a thought.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Went for first time this summer, stayed in place you describe... On edge of village. Accross road from square with shops in that backs into Olympic plaza. Where the good supermarket and liquor store are. Though a small village, that's still 15 mins walk to get to the fitzsimons lift... At a shallow uphill gradient..  As you are selling a vital organ to pay for the trip I'm with Chris.... Consider going when the kids can manage ????

The central appts are killer pricing wise....

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
I'd also back Creekside as when i was looking to spend a season there, it was the only place that i recall was even vaguely close to being reasonably priced. as it was, i ended up stopping in the hostel for a week, bought a car and did a road trip across BC. much more fun.

Turboman

• addict
Cheers for comments . Managed to snag a half decent price for 1 bed studio in the woods near Blackcomb kids stay free!. Quiet and easy walk to centre and lifts. Not cheap.

Next on list is transfers. Any knowledge?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
This looks like a good option. Kids go free if book this month too http://www.whistler.com/getting-here/road/shuttle/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
I hired a v8 truck.. Avis.

Drop it off in whistler.

Our maths was 3 peeps.. Cost neutral.. Nearly.. And epic fun. With no waiting for buses etc..

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#10 Whistler Ski Trip - Accomodation Tips?
August 24, 2014, 08:31:03 am
Yeah if you don't mind paying a little bit more a car is a great way to do it. Means you can break the journey too even though it's only a couple of hours drive or so. Could stop at Shannon Falls maybe on route. And if your driving back at a reasonable time you could even ski at Cypress on the last day.

AndyR

• forum hero
Yeah if you don't mind paying a little bit more a car is a great way to do it. Means you can break the journey too even though it's only a couple of hours drive or so. Could stop at Shannon Falls maybe on route. And if your driving back at a reasonable time you could even ski at Cypress on the last day.

Pffft, after a week at Whistler, cypress could be a bit of  a let down! If it's cold and dry, could get a decent bouldering session in on the way back.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser

Pffft, after a week at Whistler, cypress could be a bit of  a let down! If it's cold and dry, could get a decent bouldering session in on the way back.
it's only a small hill granted but if you're short of time it's actually a really nice place for a day plus only 40 mins from the airport if that. Granted it's no Whistler but as a ski resort it gets crazily busy so I like a bit of variety. I think there are only two or three ski hills in BC I've not done at least a week in and whilst Whistler has vert and size, it really depends what you're after from a day on the hill. 

AndyR

• forum hero

it's only a small hill granted but if you're short of time it's actually a really nice place for a day plus only 40 mins from the airport if that. Granted it's no Whistler but as a ski resort it gets crazily busy so I like a bit of variety. I think there are only two or three ski hills in BC I've not done at least a week in and whilst Whistler has vert and size, it really depends what you're after from a day on the hill. 

2 or 3? Bloody hell - you must get about! I've lived here for 8 years, and still haven't touched most of the hills...

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser

2 or 3? Bloody hell - you must get about! I've lived here for 8 years, and still haven't touched most of the hills...
spent a season doing a road trip round BC about 10 years ago. Just some of the really far north places like Smithers and Powder King  if I remember the names right! Maybe 3 or 4 then.....!

AndyR

• forum hero

Yeah 8 years in theory but subtracting all that cumulative time spent on wholesome but peripheral family activities you have really only been here a few months  ;)
If I also subtract DIY, then I've only been here for a fortnight - that explains my climbing performance...

Turboman

• addict
 That coach with free kids looks to be the cheapest option. Reckon we'll go with that.

Now... The final piece of the jigsaw HELISKIING!

When misses asked me what I wanted to so for my 40th my immediate reply was Helisking in BC.
Now I know Whistler Heliski isn't up there with the big boys (CMH, Wiegele, etc) but anyone had experience of using them? Online ratings seem pretty much 5star. I'll only be looking at a days pass probably 4-6 runs advanced (not expert) level.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Now I know Whistler Heliski isn't up there with the big boys (CMH, Wiegele, etc) but anyone had experience of using them?
Yes, but it was a looooong time ago (> 10 years) so probably not relevant. 

They were first rate and it was one of the best days I've ever had bar none.  Perfect untracked powder all day with excellent guides and lunch on a frozen lake.

SA Chris

• forum hero
We were out for my 40th and always wanted to Heliski, but it was out of budget. Instead plan b was a day out with these guys http://powdermountaincatskiing.com might not have the bragging rights of heliskiing, but still had a brilliant day. We got 8 drops in on the day, each one excellent. We were chatting to a few guys on the cat and they said they had done heli- and cat- and much preferred the cat; more laid back, full day out, more vert for your money, less eather dependant etc. Easily one of the best days I've had on snow ever.

AndyR

• forum hero
Have also heard good things of cat-skiing. Sadly still unaffordable for me  :boohoo:
You could sell one of your kidneys?

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Have also heard good things of cat-skiing. Sadly still unaffordable for me  :boohoo:
You could sell one of your kids?
:P

Turboman

• addict
Now I know Whistler Heliski isn't up there with the big boys (CMH, Wiegele, etc) but anyone had experience of using them?
Yes, but it was a looooong time ago (> 10 years) so probably not relevant. 

They were first rate and it was one of the best days I've ever had bar none.  Perfect untracked powder all day with excellent guides and lunch on a frozen lake.

Thanks Bubba, that's all I needed to hear.  :dance1:
Thanks for advice everyone. Yet again UKB delivers!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Save whatever you choose - cat / heli until later in the trip; a) you'll appreciate getting your ski legs a bit and b) resort skiing will be a bit shit afterwards. But not too late, so that you might not get a weather window. Be flexible with your times, and try and keep an eye on forecasts and choose the best day. We sat for an hour or so in the library in Whistler, looking at long range forecasts, snow forecasts etc, chose a day one day after a good dump (expect Whistler to be tracked out in a day, unless you are hiking) and got bluebird.

http://chrissboggyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009_02_01_archive.html (from my defunct blog)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal