UKBouldering.com

Indonesia in November - your insights please. (Read 1236 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I know many of us do nothing but climb, but for the rest of you who maybe have done some non-climbing travel, I need some hints and tips for a trip to Indonesia this autumn.

So, we have a flight booked to Jakarta on the 22nd of October and then we're flying out of Sulawesi on the 17th of November, so we have around 3 weeks.

Things we would like to do:

1. A few days of easy & safe (ish) surfing. I've surfed for 1 weekend, 8 years ago! (Could catch waves on a big foam board, similar for the lass) So we'll need somewhere with no reefs and cheap rental. Would rather avoid Bali-stralia, but might go if it's the only option.

2. Maybe climb Mt Rinjani?

3. See the Komodos

4. Sea Kayak (either around the Komodo Islands or sulawesi) We have only pootled around in one in Amsterdam lakes, so not very experienced but I have sailed off the West coast of Scotland for years so navigation and weather should be ok. Would rather avoid organised tours, but it might be the only way?

Drink cocktails and eat nice food  :icon_beerchug:

Anyone been before, any insights?

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
Tip 1 - Get out of Jakarta quickly, it's a dump (the misses is from Indo so I get dragged there once a year).

Surf wise you could try Batu Karas, friends have been and it sounded one of the more beginner friendly spots

Jogjakarta / Solo is worth a few days as there's plenty of UNESCO sites to visit - think small scale Angkor Wat type stuff

Then it sounds like you'll be Bali / Lombok bound, which'd keep you entertained for a week or two. North Bali (Lovina) will help you avoid the crowds. Also, I'd recommend heading towards Seminyak/Canngu when down south to avoid the mayhem of Kuta

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal