berry head DWS (Read 3491 times)

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
berry head DWS
August 09, 2014, 02:52:28 pm
Looks like I'm going here next Friday.
Got me no. to inform the coastguard, low tide is at 4. formulating a few ideas.. But:

what information do I really need to remember when trying Rainbow Bridge? (my new routers head has trouble absorbing guidebooks..)

was thinking this first, then onto MMT as the tide (and energy) fades was thinking of reversing it from Cradle rock to arrive at the Great cave at lowest tide...

What are your thoughts?  :shrug:

Duma

• forum hero
#1 Re: berry head DWS
August 09, 2014, 04:20:02 pm
Start late morning, after the days warmed up a bit, and just do Wizard of Oz, its fucking mega, and you get to do MMT as a warm up into it. Swim the great cave. Maybe stash a towel and dry t shirt here? Remember to rest up in the crystal grotto (obvious, beautiful, stinks) and check out the hard bit by leaning round the arete. straight up the groove after this (only 6b/+ but felt quite tricky as you're pumped, and you're getting high). If the tide's low and you're feeling strong still, then tricky to find downclimb (look before you leap) to cave (hands off rest)and great, but wave washed/greasy section to the rope climb across the zawn (the cauldron, needs mid to low tide). Alternatively scramble up leftwards from the 6b and walk round the top of the little zawn. bit intimidating but v easy downclimb (Eight Ball). more fun to stay high on next bit (The Wave 6c), but also fine lower. tide should be low enough by now to do the low way across terminal zawn, or swim it.Stash lunch on the terminal ledge?. Oz wall traverse only has one tricky section about a third of the way along, but you'll be tired by now... don't miss out on cavewoman, its awesome. Chill out on the ledge before failing from high on White Rhino Tea, which will feel pretty damn high now the tide is low! Stagger out well pleased with yourself.
TBH if the weather's nice I'd be surprised if there aren't other parties to follow on it, though its a work day so maybe not...
If you do decide to do MMT separately I'd start at the great cave - as it just gets better and better in this direction.

Enjoy, we had an amazing time.

Duma

• forum hero
#2 Re: berry head DWS
August 09, 2014, 04:33:55 pm
though thinking about it MMT is better at low to mid tide. hmmm

from Simon's comment on UKC WoO appears to have taken 4hrs, but this was with 5 of us, a competent party of one could prob manage the whole thing in 2 or 3 without too much trouble. How happy are you at F7a ish?

Also if you get the chance and are feeling burly, Cod Tympani is amazing, esp at lowish tide for a bit more spice!

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#3 Re: berry head DWS
August 09, 2014, 05:39:48 pm
Sounds good, going to be a wuss and use my shortie wetsuit, so can always just sunbathe a bit so I don't drip too much on my boots. I'm not in the finest fitness at the moment, as I've 3 under six boys, I've hardly climbed this year. But keen and optimistic, last week saw me onsighting V4 outdoors and a f7a+ at the Beacon last week, much to my surprise. Does WoO start at Cradle rock then?

Duma

• forum hero
#4 Re: berry head DWS
August 09, 2014, 06:20:01 pm
Yes, if cradle rock is where I think it is... scramble/walk down, maybe slightly tricky to locate, I'd done MMT before in the other direction before so was ok. basically you go down the slope on the other side of this headland: http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=225&with_photo_id=100222126&order=date_desc&user=7884411
then awesome fun stepping across zawn and through the arch in the blue grotto (just about visible as first cave in from right on photo above), you'll need to swim a couple of metres across green grotto.

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#5 Re: berry head DWS
August 11, 2014, 01:11:32 pm
If it's anything near sunny and nice weather, ditch the wetsuit as you'll fucking boil yourself to death!!

Tides really aren't much of an issue on Rainbow bridge, as you're never very far above the soup, but as mentioned mid tide is good for Magical mystery tour, it's actually quite steep/pumpy in places and is as good a warm up as any! Tie your boots/chalkbag to your head and either swim or wade across the cave bit.

The two 6c's "Rainbow Scoop" and "Aeronautics" are totally waddage, but whatever you do don't head up "white meat" expecting a 7a, more like 7b/+!

After heading up the groove at the end of rainbow bridge, it's worth heading right and continuing down onto "the cauldron", even if you fall in the soup it's better than doing the slightly harrowing climb out!

Whatever you do, don't think about how long the swim back is on those last moves of the rainbow bridge crux pitch....... SOOOUUUP!  :tease:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal