UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307471 times)

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
#1175 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2021, 08:59:52 am
Written with cyclists in mind, but the cook book Feed Zone Portables by Dr. Allen Lim and Chef Biju Thomas is full of tasty recipes designed to be eaten on the go.

Stabbsy

• junky
#1176 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2021, 09:11:06 am
Depends how long long is. Up to 4 hours-ish racing, I’ve never had anything beyond gels. Did the 3 Peaks on about 8 gels - 4 with me at the start and 2 strapped to water bottles at Ribblehead and Hill Inn. Didn’t try Tailwind until this winter, but I’d probably use that now and reduce the gels.

For some of the longer Lakeland stuff, I’d probably have something else that’s  easily digested - rice omelette cut into blocks is what I’d take on a long day out training. However, I’ve never raced with it so no idea how it sits when you’re trying hard.

The only race I’ve done with food stops (LDWA thing near Skipton), I ran past the food stops as I was just behind 3rd place and was chasing a podium. The pork pies looked good though.

Stabbsy

• junky
#1177 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2021, 09:12:11 am
Written with cyclists in mind, but the cook book Feed Zone Portables by Dr. Allen Lim and Chef Biju Thomas is full of tasty recipes designed to be eaten on the go.
This book is where the rice omelette idea came from.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1178 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2021, 09:26:00 am
Under 4 I'm fine with gels and wine gums, thinking anything over. I like having something in my stomach I find running and feeling hungry rally saps my morale. 

Cold egg would just make me bowk, but I will look a the book. Chorizo slices taste amazing mid race though..

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1179 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2021, 09:28:06 am
On anything longer (10 hours plus) I’m similar to you- pork pies, cheese sandwiches, scotch eggs, biscuits. Plus anything at the checkpoints (I particularly like soups).

I think the main thing is to avoid anything you haven’t eaten on previous training runs or events. I don’t use gels (there is a physiological reason plus my guts don’t always like them).

I only do the Lakeland 100 for the food stops. It’s just a trot between picknicks really  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1180 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2021, 09:44:37 am
I'm ok with mild flavour SiS Gels, GU ones are too claggy.

I read a food of choice for Bob Graham round is jam sandwiches

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1181 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2021, 09:49:35 am
I really rate the sainsbury oat flapjack squares. Moist, tasty and easy to digest.  Might try tailwind if I ever do anything long ever again.

P. S. Good effort on the 50km Chris!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1182 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2021, 10:23:11 am
Any radical ideas on nutrition on long races?

My food is normally; 2 x small quality pork pies, small butter madeleines, chorizo slices, a few flap jacks, wine gums, one bladder of tail wind, one with SiS elecrolytes. Plus a few SiS gels of which I might have 1. And whatever I fancy at food stops (usually just have half bananas).

Used to have Chia Charge bars but really gone off them.

If you can find a way to portably carry rice pudding Chris, that's worth a stab. Soreen in little packets are also good. I always think about Nicky Spinks eating that massive fish and chips halfway through her BG double and I think Joss Naylor had two cans of Mackesons/bacon butties on one of his long endeavours.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#1183 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2021, 07:56:41 pm
When I was into long trots I had M&S all butter sausage rolls. 1 every hour. They hit the calorie numbers that I'd read about and tasted great. Salted peanuts to snack on in between and emergency snickers bars.

Heard good things about ham and cheese croissants too.

Ged

• junky
#1184 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2021, 08:06:43 pm
The general rule seems to be whatever you can stomach! I rate peanut butter and jam sarnies. A mate once brought along baked bean wraps in white tortillas. They were ace and went down really easily. But just eat, whatever it may be!

Dac

• player
#1185 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2021, 08:24:33 pm
Not tried it myself (it’s years since I ran for more than about 2 hours), but how about chip drink?

https://semi-rad.com/2021/10/how-to-make-chip-drink/

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1186 Re: Fell running
October 14, 2021, 07:45:26 am
If you can find a way to portably carry rice pudding Chris, that's worth a stab.

Cold rice pudding would make me bowk too.

sausage rolls could be a winner too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal