UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 304640 times)

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#1100 Re: Fell running
August 31, 2018, 03:26:35 pm
Ah I didn't initially spot that you're doing it again Chris. I just looked back to what you said about it last time. Psyched you're doing it again. Aiming to beat last years time?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1101 Re: Fell running
September 03, 2018, 02:47:07 pm
Yep, hopefully going in better prepared mentally (now i know the route) and physically for the effort involved. On a strict diet of vertical height in training runs at the moment. And hopefully it wont be a complete mudbath like last time..

Got a couple of mates doing Glencoe Skyline this year, will see how they get on.....

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1102 Re: Fell running
September 11, 2018, 08:20:35 am
I managed to complete the Edale 9 Edges in a little over 5 hours which was well within my projected time although weather put paid to our plans to do a route on each crag. We did do some random boulder problems and gullies to make us feel better but the weather wasn't the best. Annoyingly due to some Natural England interference (I think) they had to change the route to avoid Dovestone Tor. I don't think this altered the difficulty in the end but was a shame to miss that edge. In summary, I am very pleased! Legs are feeling great and I managed to run pretty much all the flat and downhill without too much trouble. Sandstone Trail in 2019 and Marsden to Edale in 2020?  :boxing:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1103 Re: Fell running
September 11, 2018, 09:33:42 am
Good going fatneck.

SA Chris

• forum hero

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1105 Re: Fell running
September 11, 2018, 01:54:10 pm
Top work Fatneck, sounds like a great event!
Tip: stay up late to enter the Sandstone - it'll be full by 7/8am

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1106 Re: Fell running
September 11, 2018, 03:00:32 pm
Annoyingly due to some Natural England interference (I think) they had to change the route to avoid Dovestone Tor.

Due to the new owners of the Moscar estate (Duke of Rutland) apparently. It was discussed at the last Peak Area meet. I can't remember exactly how they're allowed to do it as it's CRoW land.

Nice one on the run by the way.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1107 Re: Fell running
September 12, 2018, 01:46:41 pm
Yeah it's bizarre - they said the BMC had some hassle...

Cheers!

Also, good luck with the mud tomorrow Chris  :)

Stabbsy

• junky
#1108 Re: Fell running
September 12, 2018, 02:52:51 pm
Annoyingly due to some Natural England interference (I think) they had to change the route to avoid Dovestone Tor.

Due to the new owners of the Moscar estate (Duke of Rutland) apparently. It was discussed at the last Peak Area meet. I can't remember exactly how they're allowed to do it as it's CRoW land.

Nice one on the run by the way.

I think the CRoW land thing is to do with organised events. A few of the local fell races have had enforced route changes on a similar basis - Burbage Skyline, Totley Moor, GoBigMoor to name a few. If it's an organised event, the organiser still needs landowner approval I think.

Good run by the way. Uptown (formerly of this parish) also ran and was top 10 I think.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1109 Re: Fell running
September 14, 2018, 10:49:08 am
Quote from: -stabbsy
Good run by the way. Uptown (formerly of this parish) also ran and was top 10 I think.

Thanks! Yeah think he was 7th. Under 3 hours is so impressive...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1110 Re: Fell running
September 14, 2018, 11:17:23 am

Also, good luck with the mud tomorrow Chris  :)

Thanks, it's tomorrow now. The Ultra today has been shortened due to crap weather, and it looks like Skyline on Sunday will go the same way. We might have a weather window tomorrow, but it loos like it will be grim later, all the more reason to get round fast..

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1111 Re: Fell running
September 17, 2018, 11:05:49 am
7:10 and a bit. Got round 24 minutes faster than last year, but it didn't feel any easier. Utterly broken today, can barely walk.

Well done to Richie Betts, who smashed out an astonishing 5:16, good work mate!

Skyline was shortened, but still included Curved Ridge. When we drove past the queue at the bottom must have been at least a dozen deep.

Clova Duathlon next, some easy roadbiking plus a jog up a couple of Munros. Doddle by comparison.

Killian Journet got round in an astonishing 3:04. Course record.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 11:13:26 am by SA Chris »

richieb

• menacing presence
#1112 Re: Fell running
September 18, 2018, 09:02:56 pm
Cheers Chris and well done on your PB. What a brutal course.
Legs don't feel too bad but I did get golfer's from all the hands on knees uphill  :lol:

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#1113 Re: Fell running
September 18, 2018, 10:05:57 pm
7:10 and a bit. Got round 24 minutes faster than last year, but it didn't feel any easier. Utterly broken today, can barely walk.

Great stuff Chris!

It isn't meant to feel easier  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1114 Re: Fell running
September 19, 2018, 10:12:53 am
Legs don't feel too bad but I did get golfer's from all the hands on knees uphill  :lol:

I've still got serious DOMS. Scott M reckoned the weather shortened "lite" version they did is easier than RoS.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1115 Re: Fell running
September 19, 2018, 12:54:45 pm
Great effort Chris!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1116 Re: Fell running
October 23, 2018, 10:25:54 am
Managing to work condensed hours most weeks at the moment which gives me Fridays to get out. Hoping to take our Collie out running a lot more but she does have a strong chase drive and I'm thus looking for different route ideas around Cumbria and Snowdonia where livestock are at a minimum. I always have her on a waist lead but her recall is much improved and we've been working on some good off lead time on climbs and descents with no livestock around.

We went up Glyder Fach last Friday which was perfect in many respects bar the area around the very rocky plateau at the top.I wondered whether any of you had some good route ideas that might fit the bill? If it's a recce of a race route even better!

T_B

• forum hero
#1117 Re: Fell running
November 12, 2018, 05:04:03 pm
Looking at races to consider for 2019.

Anyone recommend any good uns? Short, Medium or Long. I like a lot of climb and steep/technical descents. That said, I'm probably going to do a HM in the spring, so won't be neglecting working on my speed (or lack of).

In particular, I'm looking for a couple of longer mountain races to try and build towards (I might do the Great Lakes again - it will be interesting in a big field as it's a British & English Champs race next year).

For climbers, this looks like an interesting new race in the Lakes, based around Pinnacle Ridge: https://www.lakedistrictskytrails.com/pinnacle-ridge-extreme-2019 (though the criteria seems very strict).

The only race I've currently got an entry for is Marsden to Edale Trigger, so planning to start the year off with some full-on gnarl (potentially).

Interested in races other people are targeting!

chris20

• menacing presence
#1118 Re: Fell running
November 14, 2018, 12:45:08 pm
The only race I've currently got an entry for is Marsden to Edale Trigger, so planning to start the year off with some full-on gnarl (potentially).

My hat is in the ring for this - I'm hoping for a nice sunny day, firm under foot......  :smirk:

Going to try and get on the lakeland classics table this year so looking at Ennerdale, Wasdale and either 3 shires or Langdale.

Also talking about trying the salomon vertical K

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1119 Re: Fell running
November 14, 2018, 01:02:55 pm
The Kinlochleven VK?

looks like a lot of the hard part of mountain running (going up) without the fun bits (flat and back down!).

chris20

• menacing presence
#1120 Re: Fell running
November 14, 2018, 07:11:38 pm
The Kinlochleven VK?

looks like a lot of the hard part of mountain running (going up) without the fun bits (flat and back down!).

The fun part is going up, I hate descending!

ajh

#1121 Re: Fell running
November 15, 2018, 08:26:36 am
I'm in for the Trigger too. I was meant to do it in 2017 but I fell over walking out from Malham the day before and bashed my knee up good and proper - looking at the photos from that year I think I dodged a bullet! Fingers crossed for a nice hard frost and hopefully a bit of fog to keep things interesting on the nav front.

Anyone recommend any good uns? Short, Medium or Long. I like a lot of climb and steep/technical descents. That said, I'm probably going to do a HM in the spring, so won't be neglecting working on my speed (or lack of).

I did Ennerdale and Buttermere this year both of those fit the 'lots of climb, lots of descent, not much of it easy' criteria. The drop from Whiteless Pike to Newlands feels ridiculous when you look down it, especially if you take it direct at the top!

The biggest hidden gem for me this year was the Cautley Horseshoe. Only really did it because it was a champs race but it was a total blast and properly tough for a 4 mile race. Really recommend this one, some great spectator fun to be had at the final river crossing too.

In particular, I'm looking for a couple of longer mountain races to try and build towards

The Mountain Trial  in September. Good (long!) day out guaranteed.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1122 Re: Fell running
November 15, 2018, 10:11:37 am
The Kinlochleven VK?

The fun part is going up, I hate descending!

Weirdo.

T_B

• forum hero
#1123 Re: Fell running
November 15, 2018, 12:32:18 pm
Thanks for the replies.

Interesting how many folk are in for the Trigger!

I spent a fair bit of time trawling through the Fellrunner website yesterday evening and am also looking at:

Doctors Gate in February. Heard good things about the first one that was earlier this year.

I will probably enter Edale Skyline this year. I think.

I'd like to do Coniston in May. The descent has a bit of a reputation I believe.

Good tip on Cautley, plus there's the Howgills race as part of the champs this year.

Eskdale Elevation looks like an interesting route in that it only has a couple of check points. It gets a small turnout.

Good to see someone's taken on the Anniversary Waltz and that this (now called Newland's Memorial Fell Race) will be running the same weekend together with the Teenager, in April. I have done the Teenager course as a recce as far as Hindscarth + AW and would love to be fit enough to do that as the time of year suits (it's the Easter weekend in 2019). Same crazy descent off Whiteless Pike as on Buttermere as ajh mentions above.

I'm not going to plan anything for after the summer so the Mountain Trial is out. I've found out twice now that I'm totally off the pace in September having been away all August on holiday. That said, I would love to do a race in Europe as part of the family summer trip with the Salomon Ubaye Trail being on the radar.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1124 Re: Fell running
November 16, 2018, 11:46:39 am
Good schedule Tom! So pleased to hear about the AW and TWA races.

I'm just trying to build weekly mileage and ascent up now we have our bridge pass for free travel to Frodsham. Finally have regular access to hills so a very happy chappy!

Take a look at the Ras Yr Aran race in March Tom. 5 miles out, 5 miles back, it's brilliant. The weather can get a bit spicy and being one of the first AM races of the season, this only adds to the excitement. Easy nav in the main.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal