UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 306944 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1075 Re: Fell running
July 03, 2018, 11:51:15 pm
I associate stitches with having not digested your dinner?

DOMS is a conditioning thing is it not? If you're talking quads, you need to run more downhills.

With respect to the Double Ramsey, I'm with Ally Beaven. Especially given the hyperbole and seeing fell running stray into the same realms of b*llocks you see written about mountaineering/polar travel in the media. Obvs it's a massive effort/impressive physical feat, but her sponsors seem to have conveniently moved the goalposts as she didn't do it within 48 hours. Sorry!

I was wondering about food, I did have a snack fairly close to the run (closer than normal) but it wasn't big.

Chris, stretching....what's that???  Should really buy a foam roller at some point - might treat myself to a sports massage sometime.

To be honest, I can't expect any better for the amount of running I do, it just surprised me that it happened on a run I'm familiar with and have had no problems with before. Must have pushed too hard and it's probably been longer since my last run than I'd like to admit.

Nice one on the half Marathon Chris, how was that?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1076 Re: Fell running
July 04, 2018, 02:07:15 pm
Thanks mate, absolutely brutal in the heat. Don't know if you know it, but the last part of the hill to Swanley before you go onto forest section nearly broke me. Final bit of hard ascent, no breeze, no shade, and heat coming off the tarmac was relentless. Managed 1:54, only 6 mins of my pb, so no complaints.

Mate ran Lairig Ghru Race last weekend in under 5 hours, then clocked 1:36 in the half, bit of a machine.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm

JohnM

• junky
#1078 Re: Fell running
July 09, 2018, 09:38:16 am
Kilian sets a new BG record whilst his Mrs takes a day and a half off the Kungsleden trail FKT

I was coming down off Scafell yesterday after doing a route on Central Buttress and chatting to my climbing partner (who has done the BG). I said "I wouldn't like to do it in this heat" and he said "I don't think anyone would" and I said "Well maybe a Spanish guy wouldn't mind" and he said "Yeah like that Kilian Jornet". Literally minutes later 3 runners came past us pacing up Broad Stand, who we now realise were Kilian Jornet and two support runners. I couldn't believe the coincidence after getting back last night and reading the news!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#1079 Re: Fell running
July 09, 2018, 09:45:02 am
Kilian sets a new BG record whilst his Mrs takes a day and a half off the Kungsleden trail FKT

I'm confused by the Emelie Forsberg thing. Kungsleden is way longer than 450 km, at least 1300 km depending on what route you chose. (A friend of mine has the FKT on Kungsleden and he had 1316 km on his satellite tracker.)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1080 Re: Fell running
July 09, 2018, 11:16:39 am
I think this weekend's record says a lot about the sport. KJ apparently punted the idea last week without a support crew. Looked unlikely to assemble the quality needed until as late as Friday when Jebbie (and Carl Bell?) abandoned their own plans, deciding it was too hot for their attempts. They both then pulled their guts out helping Jornet smash the record and probably put it out of their own reach for the foreseeable future. KJ popped by to visit Billy Bland earlier in the week and BB was there at Dunmail and Moot Hall to support. Just great.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1081 Re: Fell running
July 09, 2018, 03:23:18 pm

I'm confused by the Emelie Forsberg thing. Kungsleden is way longer than 450 km, at least 1300 km depending on what route you chose. (A friend of mine has the FKT on Kungsleden and he had 1316 km on his satellite tracker.)

Wiki says 440km? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kungsleden

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#1082 Re: Fell running
July 09, 2018, 05:39:31 pm

Wiki says 440km? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kungsleden

Oh, embarrassing. I think I mixed it up with "Grona bandet" https://www.vitagronabandet.se/en-GB which starts with Kungsleden but continues all the way to the end of the Swedish part of the Scandic mountain range

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1083 Re: Fell running
July 30, 2018, 02:05:18 pm
How's everybody's season going so far? Living vicariously having had no time to train this year so keen to hear your reports!

Great to see Fatneck coming on leaps and bounds!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1084 Re: Fell running
July 31, 2018, 09:10:09 am
I'm not really fell running but managing to increase distance with no injuries or set backs! Think I've learnt to listen to my body better...

Managed my longest run to date last Friday checking out Mods and Diffs on Derwent, Stanage and Burbage for the 9 Edges in September. Great fun and I'm really psyched for the actual event!

Obligatory Relive here...

andy_e

• forum hero
#1085 Re: Fell running
August 05, 2018, 05:22:23 pm
Did my first fell race today, Round Hill up above Otley. Hot day and hard going when the breeze dropped, but I finished well within my target time! A great experience...

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1086 Re: Fell running
August 06, 2018, 10:22:37 am
Nice work youth! Will this be the first of many.....?

andy_e

• forum hero
#1087 Re: Fell running
August 06, 2018, 11:47:50 am
I definitely want to do some more, but I doubt it'll be a regular thing!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1088 Re: Fell running
August 06, 2018, 04:23:59 pm
No fell runs as yet, but done a few races;

Forfar Multi terrain half - 2:00:02 (still pleased as was ill all week, and almost didn't do it at all)
Balmoral 15 mile trail race 2:09
Stonehaven Half (multi terrain) 1:53:56 (hot beyond belief)

Still got
Aberdeen Half (road)
Ring of Steall (29km)
Illuminator (24km)

and one or 2 local fell races I'll try and do.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1089 Re: Fell running
August 06, 2018, 06:16:44 pm
Filthy day out at Kentmere last weekend, mist, rain and driving wind for most of the day. Made a stupid nav mistake and stayed high for too long (hello Strav fly-bys!), descending through a lost world of ferns, thistles and boulders. Barked my shin. Threw away all the places I'd busted a gut for. Came back with a sprained ankle that seemed ok but swelled up like a good un. Cankle now mostly gone. All good actually, one of those 'good to be alive days'!

About to venture a little trail run and see how it feels.

SA Chris

• forum hero

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1091 Re: Fell running
August 16, 2018, 10:36:56 am
https://www.fastrunning.com/training/ultra-running/dan-lawson-aims-to-break-874-mile-jogle-record/18573

Not fell running as such, but an amazing undertaking. Might be passing your way soon Southerners!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1092 Re: Fell running
August 16, 2018, 03:26:28 pm
Cool! Tracker here...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1094 Re: Fell running
August 30, 2018, 04:03:11 pm
Yeah shame...

Great effort on your Aberdeen Half PB Chris!

I've got the 9 Edges in 2 weeks. Very much looking forward to it!

Question - just got the kit list through (no problem with this, see below - all very sensible), have everything on the list bar a long sleeved fleece which I hadn't seen on an FRA list before. Will a long sleeved thermal top do or will I have to buy a new fleece?

Waterproof jacket and leg cover, both with taped seams
Hat and gloves
Warm layers appropriate for the weather conditions but the minimum is a long sleeved fleece
Whistle
Sufficient food and fluids for the duration of the event
Map and compass suitable for navigating the course. If you choose to navigate on OS 1:25000 mapping you need both Dark and White Peak maps to cover the course.
Survival bag or bespoke emergency shelter, lightweight polythene allowed, no foil blankets, foil bags acceptable, Blizzard Bags allowed.

Ta

T_B

• forum hero
#1095 Re: Fell running
August 30, 2018, 05:06:59 pm
Yes, good effort Chris. I'd like to do a road half but want to increase my flat speed first.

Fatneck - good question. When does a base layer become a fleece?! Seems excessive for a race in September, especially as fleece is quite bulky. Good luck anyway. I entered a couple of years ago but didn't run in the end as I always seem to be injured/unfit after the summer holidays. Looking forward to seeing how far I get on the Exterminator this Sunday before running out of gas ;)

Stabbsy

• junky
#1096 Re: Fell running
August 30, 2018, 05:38:33 pm
Looking forward to seeing how far I get on the Exterminator this Sunday before running out of gas ;)
I'm marshalling this year, so I'll see you on Stanage.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1097 Re: Fell running
August 31, 2018, 09:44:52 am
Cheers guys, still stoked.

I bought a  OMM Fleecy hoody as a requirement for a race. It's pretty light, and great for running in freezing cold, but would never wear it in September. It's fantastic for wearing on cooler days bouldering though, never leaves my pack.

Back round to Glencoe Skyline Series. Anyone else doing Ring of Steall or any of the other races, apart from me and richieb? Reeve, still out of action?

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#1098 Re: Fell running
August 31, 2018, 11:24:26 am
 Me?! Ha! I basically haven't run since last year. It was meant to be a year of climbing for me although due to various illnesses and injuries I have been on a continuous 12 month series of comebacks. Maybe I should have stuck with running after all

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1099 Re: Fell running
August 31, 2018, 02:56:55 pm
Ah well. next year...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal