UKBouldering.com

Manley Knoll (Read 10084 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#25 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 12:00:06 pm
Looks great, although Newman is massive isn't he? What does the arête go at?

Manley Virtues. 7A. All the difficulty is in the second half. There's a photo of TomTom on it in the guide which, if I remember rightly, shows off the steepness of the upper arete and the wall to the left nicely.

tomtom

• forum hero
#26 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 12:01:25 pm
Even better reason to mention it again. I didn't know when I wrote that chapter for the guide, but it would be great to get UKC and the BMC updated - thanks for doing that.
No absolutely, perhaps a phone number might suit the owners better - it looks like a separate approach march to the house.

Thats a good idea - as the house is a distance from the road etc... Though unless we get both a lengthy dry spell and an end to lockdown restrictions its off limits (I'd suggest - to keep access)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#27 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 12:30:18 pm
Would it be possible to drop a pin on the right house and maybe the access road that leads to it?
I'd assumed it would be this one, accessed by the drive coming in from the north west:
https://goo.gl/maps/dZEmj3TsGpVBLxBf8

However, looking on the map the house that's called Manley Knoll is the thing that looks like an old hall, accessed by a long drive that curves around from a more southerly point on the road.
https://goo.gl/maps/CqdPjpTpMP9YmcBfA

I confess that when I went I wasn't sure which house to ask at so ended up just accessing discretely.

m.cooke.1421

• regular
#28 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 02:37:45 pm
https://www.doogal.co.uk/FindPostcode.php
https://www.ukmapcentre.com/acatalog/2500_by_post.html#.VRk59PnF8dg
These are two useful sites if wanting to find the address for a property or find a property if you have an address

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#29 Re: Manley Knoll
March 03, 2021, 06:44:53 pm
I've tracked down an email for the owners of Manley Knoll and been in touch - he's still supportive of climbing ...I was a bit nervous of the current situation as it's seeing a bit of traffic currently and you can see chalk on the big roof from the road. Few new variants gone up for strong people. I popped up for some lockdown meandering recently and found 4 other people already there.

Anyways, permission sought and granted. He didn't answer the bit where I asked if he wanted access details publishing. I've strengthened up the wording on ukc and the BMC RAD. Let me know if you want an email address, rather than making it public.

andy popp

• forum hero
#30 Re: Manley Knoll
March 03, 2021, 07:33:29 pm
Thanks for doing that Steve. Seems broadly positive.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: Manley Knoll
March 04, 2021, 10:04:52 am
Just wondering if it might be worth considering if lamping is acceptable at this venue? Seems a few people have been up there at night and i am not sure if this is a great idea being visible from both the road and nearby houses. Would be a shame if goodwill with the landowner was lost due to night sessions.

andy popp

• forum hero
#32 Re: Manley Knoll
March 04, 2021, 10:13:19 am
I'm no longer local but I would say it is definitely not an appropriate venue for lamping.

To be honest, though I love the place, I'm surprised to hear of any level of popularity, there really isn't that much there.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#33 Re: Manley Knoll
March 04, 2021, 10:47:32 am
Never underestimate the potential popularity of a chossy, unpleasant roof if it's next to the road and you can do loads of eliminates on it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#34 Re: Manley Knoll
March 04, 2021, 10:48:19 am
Never underestimate the potential popularity of a chossy, unpleasant roof if it's next to the road and you can do loads of eliminates on it.
What, are people still getting in trouble at DWR area??

dunnyg

• forum hero
#35 Re: Manley Knoll
March 04, 2021, 10:56:23 am
Wash yer mouth out  :chair:

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#36 Re: Manley Knoll
March 04, 2021, 11:23:38 am
Ermm yes, really not the right spot IMO - https://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/dbpage.php?id=361060
Andy - you've changed :)

FWIW I took the landowner permission to be 'fill your boots Steve' rather than 'fill your boots everyone, and bring massive lights'.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal