UKBouldering.com

Best place to find rental properties - Sheffield (Read 23626 times)

cha1n

• forum hero
Yeh, I've looked at my current area which is pretty bad. Whist I was growing up, your bike would be nicked in about 10 seconds if you left it outside the shop. Burnt out cars on the grassy area opposite was standard (although not seen any like that for like 10 years), etc, etc.

Average crimes in my area were like 76 incidents in may, most areas I was looking at in Sheffield are like 200+ and lots of burglary, robbery, violent / sexual assault. Many of them in my area are anti-social with bits of vehicle crime.

Does Sheffield have a particularly bad rep for crime?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Does Sheffield have a particularly bad rep for crime?

No.

A year old and possibly biased reporting source
This year but still a possibly biased reporting source

Both are based on Home Office data though.

Sheffield Ranks 10th in this list of English University cities

You could probably scare yourself into not moving anywhere by having a look at the Office for National Statistics - Crime and Justice pages.

Worth bearing in mind also that rates fluctuate year-on-year when they change what can actually be recorded as a crime (or what falls into different categories).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
sheffield has a similar amount of crime as other cities, but a lower incidence of violent crime

it must be true, it was in The Star

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-officially-safest-large-city-in-uk-figures-reveal-1-5578578

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Rather than looking at the stats (which as pointed out are remarkably good for one of the largest cities in the country) I'd go by first hand experience i.e. what people on here who have lived in Sheffield for 20+ years are saying! I know where I feel safe and where I don't and most of Sheffield is pretty tame with the odd notable exception (like every town / city). Especially when compared to Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham etc.

Re S2, there are good bits and bad bits and it's pretty obvious which are which. Slate Street is sound as are the surrounding streets of terraces, I lived there for a while as lagers said and still own the house we lived in there. Heard about the odd burglary but that was it and our tenants (a family who've been there for years) love it there.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Its also worth bearing in mind that you may move somewhere that you think is great based on stats/recommendations, and then decide after living there that you want to live somewhere else, or even that you don't want to live in Sheffield at all.  You're planning on renting at the moment so its not such a big step as buying to up sticks and move within the city, try and go for six month contracts to give you this flexibility.

Thats sort of what happened to me when I took a job offer in Perth (Australia).  Figured it would be a great "career" opportunity so headed out there all hopeful, dragging my then long-term girlfriend along with me.  Stayed in an apartment for the first two-three weeks trying to find somewhere to rent, took a place that seemed great (right next to Queens Park looking over it from near the top floor, walking distance for girlfriend to get to where she'd found work, cycle through the park for me).  Decided we didn't like the noisy fuckers who lived above us so when the three (or six) month lease was up we looked elsewhere and found somewhere further out but a lot quieter and next to Herdsmans Lake which was nice for walking/jogging around.

In the end though I'd been mis-sold the job.  Plus there is fuck-all climbing near Perth that is worth mentioning (Blackwall Reach was fun for DWS) so we moved back to Sheffield.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Rather than looking at the stats (which as pointed out are remarkably good for one of the largest cities in the country) I'd go by first hand experience i.e. what people on here who have lived in Sheffield for 20+ years are saying! I know where I feel safe and where I don't and most of Sheffield is pretty tame with the odd notable exception (like every town / city). Especially when compared to Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham etc.

In 25+ years I have been burgled twice, once in S11 (escaped jail bird kicked door down and knicked the rented telly) and once in S7 (window broken, no locks on them and door didn't have 2nd lock in those days, cheapskate landlord, laptop gone but nothing else. Plus 1 car (Astra van) knicked from S11, recovered next day.

Only time I have ever really felt threatened was on Brunswick St when I was negotiating not buying a small piece of liquorice for a fiver and in-side/just outside Bramall Lane.

tc

• junky
I once bought quite a large piece of liquorice for fifty guilders*. I couldn't get it to burn but it tasted ok.

(* the currency of the Netherlands from the 17th century, when I was last in Amsterdam)

cha1n

• forum hero
We're awaiting confirmation but hopefully found somewhere. It's only for 6 months, which in my experience - flys by!

It's on Fulmer Road, just off Ecclesall Rd. This spot OK? I'm sure we'll manage for 6 months regardless of where we'd found.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
It's on Fulmer Road, just off Ecclesall Rd. This spot OK?

Not bad apart from all the bird shit & vomit :clown:

I'm sure you'll enjoy it and before you know it you'll either be looking to renew or for another spot somewhere you prefer having got to know the city a bit better.  :2thumbsup:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
That's a great spot. Hunter House, Cowlishaw, Neill Road.. countless climbers have lived there over the years.

PS I think Slackers' spelling is out by one vowel.

Wood FT

• forum hero
It's on Fulmer Road, just off Ecclesall Rd. This spot OK?

Yeah spot on, quite a steep hill mind but getting back in after work with a good sweat on was one of that street's charms. 24hr shop at bottom of road and the area is in general student central, which is great or horible dependant on how bitter your feeling at any given time. easy walk to works/matrix/broomgrove road.

enjoy!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero

Yeah spot on, quite a steep hill mind but getting back in after work with a good sweat on was one of that street's charms.

enjoy!

I recall dossing with Zips and Andy Pollitt and no one (but me) would brave the hill in the morning to fetch milk for a brew. Yorick lived in the cellar IIIRC.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
PS I think Slackers' spelling is out by one vowel.

It was a deliberate play on words, hence the use of the clown.  ::)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
I know   :)

Wood FT

• forum hero

Yorick lived in the cellar IIIRC.

Poor Yorick

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Handy for the Saturday morning Endcliffe Park run (and the parkour equipment)

Lescar and Porter Cottage just down the road  :2thumbsup: (rest of Eccy road as well)

good place to be

oh, and less than 15 mins from Burbage  :great:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yeah plenty of decent places to eat round there too.

You'll have to update us on how you and the girlfriend find it. Best of luck.  :2thumbsup:

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM

Yorick lived in the cellar IIIRC.

Alas Poor Yorick

I knew him well

(Anyone heard of him in the last 25 years!)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
Luckily for Yorick Andy always left massive butt ends and Yorick would get half a days roll ups for free. Unfortunately they were Silk Cut butt ends but beggars can't be choosers  :)

cha1n

• forum hero
Phew, glad it's a good spot. I'm not getting my hopes up until I have something in writing this time though as we were let down on the last house!

Thanks for all the help, will definitely let you know how we get on. I'm sure I'll love it being so close to the climbing, 5 minute drive to work (will probs cycle). I'm sure I'll meet up with some of the UKB lot whilst I'm up here.

I'm keen to get training hard now as I've generally just climbed at my limit rather than trained specifically. If you get chatting to someone with a slight SW accent at the works from late August who seems obsessed with climbing shoes then you're probably talking to me!

cha1n

• forum hero
Oh, just remembered that the property won't be available until 1st-2nd week in Sept so if anyone knows of a house share with a spare room for 3-4 weeks then let me know. I'd rather stay with climbers, you know what you're getting!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
otherwise, check Airbnb for short term room rent

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Phew, glad it's a good spot. I'm not getting my hopes up until I have something in writing this time though as we were let down on the last house!

Thanks for all the help, will definitely let you know how we get on. I'm sure I'll love it being so close to the climbing, 5 minute drive to work (will probs cycle). I'm sure I'll meet up with some of the UKB lot whilst I'm up here.

I'm keen to get training hard now as I've generally just climbed at my limit rather than trained specifically. If you get chatting to someone with a slight SW accent at the works from late August who seems obsessed with climbing shoes then you're probably talking to me!
Hunters Bar is a great area to live, nice food (Greedy Greek), good pubs, and as the others say, everything is within easy reach. Just watch out for the hipster market once a month  ;)

Will keep an eye out down the works too, I'm easy to spot as just about the only person I've ever seen down there in Boreals...

cha1n

• forum hero
The deal has fallen through already...  :(

This is turning out to be a nightmare. At least I know that Sheffield has a booming rental market for if I buy a house in the future!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal