UKBouldering.com

[Cheshire][Harmers Wood][The Dark Ark][7A+] (Read 15163 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
How high is this problem? Will it be reet with two mats and no spotters?

Scroll through the thread reading it and you'd have got to...

Thanks. Yes, this is the one discussed in the other thread. I was very pleased to do it. I really think its 3*

The grade is possibly soft if anything. I haven't been climbing at all well this year. More importantly I found a better sequence for the top half since Ally spotted me on it; same holds just different hands etc. This has definitely dropped it at least a notch. Given the height 7A+ could be fair.

Will, its at least 25', possibly a touch more. I fell off the last move once and maybe three times just below that, always with at least two pads and mostly with three. I definitely felt the falls. I had three pads when I did it.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
How high is this problem? Will it be reet with two mats and no spotters?

The problem is the same height as this:
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,25951.0.html

The fall would be clean and straight down I think, so two mats stacked would suffice I think.

andy popp

• forum hero
Will absolutely walked up this! I was very pleased to see it repeated.

This is, without question, a flawless wall climb of the utmost perfection. I can't think that any of the problems I ever did at Pex in my youth match this in terms of quality. It does not deserve neglect. The quarry is dry and the holds are chalked. Get to it.

Just to be clear, The Dark Ark is the righthand chalked line on the wall left of Harmers Arete, the lefthand chalked line is my ongoing project (more progress today. Very frustratingly both Tom and Will can simply reach where I have a really hard move near the bottom). I'd really appreciate an ongoing chance to do this - especially as I gladly showed Will the cleaned and ready line he climbed today as Prodigal Sons  :-[
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:19:06 pm by andy popp »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

Will absolutely walked up this! I was very pleased to see it repeated.

It's a very good job you were talking me through it. I was aware that I'd been moving well on the warm ups and getting dialled back into the Cheshire Feel. I definitely clicked into that special zone. Had I had to have a second go after a big fall I think the commitment might have left me at the top! Great stuff. 3 stars!

andy popp

• forum hero
Dolph has just climbed my long standing project left of The Dark Ark at Harmers. He seems absolutely made up with it and says it thin and hard all the way. Comments he made suggest its at least 7C+. Its not as good as The Dark Ark as there's a perma-damp patch (which doesn't really effect the climbing) but this is another very good highball. problem. Will update with name and grade when he gets back to me. There's a video too, which I'll ask if I can share. I'm really made up someone's done and feel like a bit less of chump now for not being able to do it.

Btw. I've put together a short document detailing new problems climbed at established crags since the 2012 guide; happy to share with anyone who might want a copy (obviously it needs updating now).

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
That's great news. I had been meaning to get round to trying this. I seem to remember the lower crux that you were trying didn't feel impossible with a bit of lank. If it's as hard as Mike says then it sounds like I've been saved a wasted trip!

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
Great news Andy - i had an ab down it earlier in the year and thought it was desperate!

I'd be keen for a copy of the local updates document too

andy popp

• forum hero
I seem to remember the lower crux that you were trying didn't feel impossible with a bit of lank. If it's as hard as Mike says then it sounds like I've been saved a wasted trip!

Yeah, I had the rest sorted but was really struggling with reach on that move. Even Mike said it was reachy. Anyway, I think you could definitely do this problem Will.

Ally, sent you the updates thing via FB. I decided to chuck in a couple of the "new" crags too. It now has 60+ new problems and variant, some of them as good as anything in the guide.

andy popp

• forum hero
Mike is calling it Northern Voodoo and is finding grading this style tricky but has reluctantly settled on 7C+:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

Duncan campbell

• junky
So Dark Ark goes up to the right of this? Visited Harmers after work over the summer. Lovely spot.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Yes, there's two lines on this wall. The wall right of the corner (Mike's new thing) and the wall left of the arete (The Dark Ark).

Duncan campbell

• junky
Looks mega! I have just realised this is in the other quarry, which I didn’t visit the night I went to Harmer’s.

Will have to hope for more work in Liverpool or link it up to a trip to see my girlfriend’s parents.

Would like to do catalepsy at pex too...

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Catalepsy is mega, the best problem at Pex (in my opinion anyway) and one of the best things I've ever done.

a13c

• regular
Hi Andy, can I have a copy of your updates please? Do I need to pm you my email address? Cheers.

andy popp

• forum hero
Of course! Yes, pm me your email. Unless I'm mistaken I don't think you can add attachments to messages here. I've added in Stonehills Lane and Overton Neb as "new" crags, but not the Heath, which is all a bit of mess in terms of claims, descriptions etc. Would love to know if you have more to add anywhere.

tomtom

• forum hero
Got a google drive/Dropbox/OneDrive account Andy? Then you could just post a link? Or I can make it a google doc so anyone can edit it etc..?

andy popp

• forum hero
That would be better. I'll send you the latest version and you can put it up perhaps?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
If you're looking for some permanent place to put it then I can pop it on Unknown Stones.

tomtom

• forum hero
That would be better. I'll send you the latest version and you can put it up perhaps?

Sure. Email it to me?

andy popp

• forum hero
Just sent it to your Hull address.

a13c

• regular
Cheers for the reply/offer Andy. I'll save you the bother of sending them out to all us keen locals and wait for tomtom to put it online!

tomtom

• forum hero
Here you are:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/107tkNf11Yu49hhjrwGU3qbYJQIhc167RE4rc255nhbw

I’ve not made it editable - but you can comment. So people can put comments on there if there are updates/changes required. Feel free to share on FB anywhere relevant etc..

(PS I can make it anyone can edit if that’s easier? Doubt anyone would hijack it etc.. but thought easier to go with comments only to start with)

andy popp

• forum hero
Cheers Tom.

tomtom

• forum hero
Cheers Tom.
no prob. 2 min job. Stuck it on FB too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal