UKBouldering.com

Shoulder the responsibility (Read 2106 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero
Shoulder the responsibility
July 13, 2004, 06:07:16 pm
After fuckin up my shoulder over a year ago I have finally got a date set for an operation (Thank you BUPA).  Question is I have 2 options.

Open Surgery- 92% chance of not re-dislocating but reduction of movement by 2/3 degrees

Closed Surgery - 86% chance of not re-dislocating and no reduction in movement.

The recovery time is the same for both operations.

Do you guy's know of anyone that has had a similar operation and what was the outcome.  Does 6% make that much of a difference?  I can't seem to find owt on't  t'internet.

Cheers in advance :D

dave

#1 Shoulder the responsibility
July 13, 2004, 07:08:20 pm
think jimbo had some shoulder thing done - he's the man to speak to.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Shoulder the responsibility
July 13, 2004, 08:18:26 pm
If it were me, I'd go for the 85% and no reduction in movement - you never know what you might get up to in your future life, and that extra bit of movement might make all the difference for when you take up synchronised swimming or whatever!

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#3 Shoulder the responsibility
July 14, 2004, 10:25:14 am
Larascopic or key hole surgey is slighly higher risk in some areas (kidneys, guts etc) than open surgery as the surgeon doesn't have 'the bigger picture' but is lower risk for other things (post operative infection and other post operative complications).

The thing I'd be asking about before signing the consent form is wheter either method has any known associated risks of capatilitis or frozen shoulder.  

My gut reaction would be to go for the key hole, but then I'm a lawyer (NP) not a doctor  :lol:

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Shoulder the responsibility
July 14, 2004, 11:04:58 am
Having partially dislocated my shoulder about 5 years ago I went about trying to find out as much as possible about operations (In the end I decided not to bother as after an investigative operation the damage was relatively small and I decided that the op wasn't worth it - since then it's been fine until just recently when I've had the odd twinge and it's felt weak on occasion - I think this is cos I've not done any strengthening excerces for a couple of years - better start)

Anyway. There used to be a massive thread on planet fear that a lot of people added to that had some very good advice on it. It's probably worth checking to see if it's archived. It went on for over a year during which time some of the people that had first posted in your position had the operation and reported back on the outcomes, where they had it done, who by etc.

Hope this helps.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#5 Shoulder the responsibility
July 14, 2004, 06:34:55 pm
Cheers guys.

I checked out the thread on Planetqueer.com about a 8 months ago and found a really good Physio, Karen Sibillia.  She has been a god send as far as finding an excellant surgeon and not ripping me off by getting me to come back every week for treatment.  Its unusual to find someone that will tell you the truth.  In my case ' your shoulders fuck, you will need surgery and yes physio will but only by about 10%'
I think that i will go for the arthroscopic operation especially after I read this
http://www.shouldersolutions.com/disloc_3.php

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal