UKBouldering.com

Saudi Arabia (Read 2160 times)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 02:30:59 pm
So, work might be just about to deal me a hugely depressing hand and sending me to Saudi for a couple of months. I am guessing that;

1. Climbing there in the summer heat would be pointless even if there are places outdoors to go as evening temperatures often are in the thirties and peak at mid-40's this time of year.

2. Even if climbing were theoretically possible, I imagine that the somewhat strict rules over behaviour, western activities and clothing will limit me anyway

So, do I just accept that I throw in the towel, assume I am not going to climb for the entire time out there and probably scrap this years target of bouldering consistently at 7a, or do I hit the hotel gym and do some convoluted training plan to return stronger than ever??

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 02:54:45 pm
Chris Webb-Parsons took a finger board with him when working of the African coast with Dense and did hangboard training...

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 02:57:59 pm
Thanks Slackline, great idea actually. If I can get a BM or the small Snap board in to my luggage and then somewhere to nail it to then I reckon it will stave off the impending lunacy.

One silver lining, no drink for a few months will no doubt drop the weight a bit too, who knows I may return to the UK an absolute beast. Then again....

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 02:59:55 pm
So, do I just accept that I throw in the towel, assume I am not going to climb for the entire time out there and probably scrap this years target of bouldering consistently at 7a, or do I hit the hotel gym and do some convoluted training plan to return stronger than ever??

The training method has got to be the better choice- I find even if I can't do climbing-specific training then general strength/ fitness has a benefit even if it's just the endorphin release.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 03:03:43 pm

The training method has got to be the better choice- I find even if I can't do climbing-specific training then general strength/ fitness has a benefit even if it's just the endorphin release.
I can see myself doing an awful lot of running I think if I end up getting shipped out there, but it will mostly be on treadmills, as apparently running in the streets is something that only criminals fleeing the scenes of a crime does, and hence attracts an awful lot of attention, and not in a good way. The fingerboard idea though is definitely an option and one I am pinning quite a lot of hopes on just now. That, or the trip being cancelled of course.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 03:05:43 pm
Save space with a UKBouldering Wedge

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 03:14:45 pm
Save space with a UKBouldering Wedge
Like the look of them. Bookmarked for decision day. Thanks!  :thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 03:36:51 pm
Unfortunately currently out of stock, but you could try contacting shark (who helped design them) or I think Probes (who if I've got the right person makes them).

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 03:48:34 pm
Will do thanks. Once i know for certain if i am going or not these will definitely be on the shopping list...

Motown

• regular
#9 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 03:58:18 pm
In Qatar and climbing extremely limited. Beware the overtraining route. In an attempt to get as strong as possible for my two months back in the Uk I knackered my elbows and am now facing two months recovered but as weak as ever. NNFN. Hang board and fingers a better focus than pull ups and gym... Worth noting that although rock rings have nothing like the holds of a reasonable hang board, there are a lot more opportunities for use in gyms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 04:20:30 pm
Cheers Mowtown  :)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#11 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 06:02:05 pm
Are you getting weekends off?
If so head for Dubai. There is a fair amount of good climbing in the Hajar (quite high and slightly cooler than the lower ground and a fair amount of shade to be had in the canyons and DWS galore) and there are a couple of walls in Dubai. The flight is short and not too costly. Habrich is more current than I am (having moved back in '08) and may even be able to point you at contacts still in the Sandpit.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#12 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 06:53:22 pm
OMM: yes, more than likely getting weekends, or the equivalent off so Dubai is a definite possibility; hadn't considered flying but if its cheap enough then I can look to make the trip at least a couple of times a month. Might also do the same to get some kitesurfing in too.

Habrich: yes, likely to be based in Riyadh and the immediate area. great that there is local wall and at least one ex pat there. if i do end up there i will drop you a DM so i can hopefully get in touch.

By the way, this is what I love about UKB, its ability to be super helpful  :)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#13 Re: Saudi Arabia
June 10, 2014, 10:52:29 pm
So true.

Mrs S has gone from "why are you always on UKB?" to "can't you find that out on UKB?". *group hug*

In relevance to the OP don't be scared about just going to the gym for a couple of months. At your level (which I'd love to attain at the moment) it'll only do you good. Plus if you can do a bit of fingerboard stuff you'll probably come back stronger than ever.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal