UKBouldering.com

Denver (Read 4891 times)

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
Denver
June 09, 2014, 05:26:24 pm
Anyone been? Live there? Whats it like to get casual work?

I know the bouldering is good and extensive! Just trawling for some thoughts, are there any flat landings or do you need a team of organic pads?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: Denver
June 09, 2014, 07:34:18 pm
From my very limited experience I'd say Colorado Springs is a much better place to be.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Denver
June 09, 2014, 09:50:36 pm
Blunk of this parish (who showed me around when I stayed over in Boulder for a few days) would probably have some local knowledge... not sure how often he scans UKB these days (if you are Blunk hello!)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Denver
June 10, 2014, 11:29:06 am
I think you'd be lucky to get work without the necessary visas. Employees face heavy fines, and you can get deported.
Plenty of places to boulder around Boulder, and you will invariably find friendly folk about in the popular spots who will let you use a pad, esp at Flagstaff Mountain, Eldorado etc. there's averything from lowball to soloing. And I suspect you could hire pads in Boulder if needed.

andy_e

• forum hero
#4 Re: Denver
October 15, 2014, 01:30:36 pm
I'm (hopefully) going to a conference in Denver next May/June. I won't be able to take a mat but a colleague from the Houston office might be able to. What's some good beta for bouldering around this time of year? Planning on taking a few days around the conference to get some climbing in.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Denver
October 15, 2014, 01:39:46 pm
Hire a care - get to horseshoe and give Blunk a call...

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: Denver
October 15, 2014, 01:45:13 pm
Is there anywhere to hire mats from? I've just realised it's a 15 hour drive from Houston so we may not have the 4runner, mat and dogs after all...

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#7 Re: Denver
October 15, 2014, 03:29:29 pm
Disappointing. I was hoping for a thread about...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#8 Re: Denver
October 15, 2014, 04:50:15 pm
Hirecar for sure. So denver sits a bit out into the plains from the front range of mountains where all the climbing is located.  That means from downtown Denver(depending on traffic) you can go north to Fort Collins(1hr+), northwest to Boulder(30-45min), west to Golden(15-30min), or south toward Colorado Springs (1hr+) and there's stuff each way.  The lower elevation stuff tends to be less summery and the higher less wintery, but even that's relative to the winter/summer as temps can fluctuate alot. Typically by June the locals are heading to higher elevations like Mt Evans and RMNP. 

The popular areas generally have pretty good numbers of people with lots of pads, so you can likely join in on problems without a pad. 

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#9 Re: Denver
October 15, 2014, 04:51:03 pm
Is there anywhere to hire mats from? I've just realised it's a 15 hour drive from Houston so we may not have the 4runner, mat and dogs after all...

If you're in Texas go to Hueco, I went on the 5th July (yes it was rather warm) but conditions were actually rather pleasant until about 2 pm, provided you were in the shade.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Denver
October 15, 2014, 05:50:04 pm

If you're in Texas go to Hueco, I went on the 5th July (yes it was rather warm) but conditions were actually rather pleasant until about 2 pm, provided you were in the shade.

Did you wear a Stetson?

andy_e

• forum hero
#11 Re: Denver
October 15, 2014, 07:14:58 pm
Thanks, but as the title says, I'll be in Denver.

cheers sasquatch, some good beta there.

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Denver
October 15, 2014, 07:29:28 pm
OK,
Two years ago I had a conference in Boulder and scheduled 2-3 days on the end of it to go climbing.

As it turned out, I went and did some bolted granite rope stuff outside of Boulder on one day (met some climbers at the conference who I tagged along with) and on the second day met up with Blunk (of this parish) who lives in Fort Collins and showed me around Horseshoe (and had mats). I am super grateful to Blunk (if he's reading) as it was a great day out...  but based on this:

1. Boulder has 2-3 walls - one ''The Spot' is pretty cool - and I'm sure you could hook up with some folk there who would take you along somewhere. Its also now legal to buy pot in Boulder... not if that may or may not sway your destination choice :) Its an interesting town, that for me swung between being really cool - or up its own arse ;) Theres stacks of spots along the roads and trails out of town up into the mountains.. (you can also climb the Flatirons if you like.. google em - and you'll recognise them)

2. Horseshoe was great - a classic destination - though Fort Collins was much more suburban/regular than Boulder.. We went on a busy Saturday (first decent day in a while) and it was fairly busy. I'm pretty sure I could have rocked up with a pair of boots and tried problems with random people/used their mats etc..

Weather. I went in late May - and they'd just had a huge dump of late snow (ie 60cm+ in 24 hours) that they were still cleaning up from - so a week before - climbing was out... but it had all melted by the time I had time to climb.... While I was climbing - others at the conference went up into the mountains and had a mental days ski-ing by all accounts..

Pads - a climbing shop in Boulder claimed to hire out mats (forgotten the name) but they didnt respond to a question of mine about it on their facebook page... doesnt mean they don't though... I would have thought you could rent them somewhere there...

Car - seemed essential... or hooking up with someone with some wheels...

If I was in your position - I'd hire a car, book a cheap motel in Boulder and head there for 2-4 days.. possibly sample some of the newly legal local produce, rent a pad and have an explore... maybe drop into the Spot to ask some Q's about pad hire - where would be in condition etc... It is in a fantastic location...

Sasq has some great pointers too...

andy_e

• forum hero
#13 Re: Denver
October 15, 2014, 07:36:06 pm
Good knowledge, thanks Thomas. I'll probably be climbing with colleagues, some of whom live in Boulder, most of whom live in Houston and will probably be flying in. I'll find out nearer the time I guess...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#14 Re: Denver
October 15, 2014, 10:27:32 pm
What grades, styles, stuff would you be looking for? 

Horsetooth Reservoir (not horseshoe  :chair:  ) and flagstaff mountain have loads of classic John Gill problems in the v3-v6 range that are stellar and have some level of historical significance.  Also problems like Meathook, Trice, etc. are pretty significant, although it'll probably be a bit too hot for most of the harder ones there unless you're a total mutant...  Alot of the front range stuff is sandstone, and not the slopey curved font stuff, but blocky sharp stuff.

Clear Creek Canyon just outside of Golden has a few gems, although they're generally roadside.  Boulder Canyon the same. 

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Re: Denver
October 15, 2014, 11:51:08 pm
Sorry :(

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#16 Re: Denver
October 16, 2014, 12:55:06 am
No worries :)

Just would hate to someone look up Horseshoe and be seeing the stuff in arkansas at Horsehoe Canyon Ranch.

Otherwise your beta seemed spot on  :thumbsup:

andy_e

• forum hero
#17 Re: Denver
October 16, 2014, 08:18:36 am
I'll hopefully looking at problems up to V8 (but maybe get some holiday grades in), steep, crimpy walls/aretes/roofs/prows. Is it a big hike to Mt. Evans?

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#18 Re: Denver
October 16, 2014, 04:21:26 pm
Yes/no.  To Area A is maybe 2miles, but at like 9-10K feet so it can be rough depending on how you manage altitude.  Most people manage between .75 to 1.25 hrs.  I doubt Lincoln Lake will be open by then, but you never know.

Hmm, can't think of too many holiday grades.

Horsetooth may be a really good bet, especially if you can contact Blunk.  Quite a few classic problems in the v3-v6 range, with a good bit of history, aesthetics, and quality.  Lots of aretes and crimping.  Most of the landings are quite reasonable with a pad or two.  A few harder lines as well if the urge hits :)

andy_e

• forum hero
#19 Re: Denver
October 17, 2014, 12:44:28 pm
How likely is Lincoln Lake to be not in? It looks beautiful and the problems look amazing:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#20 Re: Denver
October 17, 2014, 04:52:14 pm
Dunno.  I was there June 7-15, 2013 and I was told it wasn't open yet, but I don't know if that was road or snowed in.

Here's the road info:
http://www.mountevans.com/MountEvansCom/Mount-Evans-PlanningRoadOpenClosing.HTML

My understanding on the lincoln lake stuff is that it's mostly talus landings so loads of pads are standard. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#21 Re: Denver
October 23, 2014, 09:26:16 am
Alot of the front range stuff is sandstone, and not the slopey curved font stuff, but blocky sharp stuff. 

I wasn't crazy about it TBH, but still got over it and got some good problems done.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#22 Re: Denver
October 23, 2014, 04:15:33 pm
Alot of the front range stuff is sandstone, and not the slopey curved font stuff, but blocky sharp stuff. 

I wasn't crazy about it TBH, but still got over it and got some good problems done.
I'd agree.  In general the problems were not very high quality, but there are certainly a few gems in the mix :)  Also, It'll probably be HOT then 25-30C, whcih is way too hot for fun on sandstone :)
That's why all the Colorado boulderers go alpine in the summer.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal