UKBouldering.com

Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats (Read 711503 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#925 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
July 26, 2006, 01:45:05 pm
I've been listening to too much old timey music and country stuff of late so decided to dip my toes into some new(ish) electronica, house and beats.

The Beauty Room: The Beauty Room
: Kirk Degiorgio (Brit techno producer also known as As One) turns in something completely different on Peacefrog records - a live band with an unknown (to me anyway) vocalist, soaring harmonies, guitars, lush electric piano and drums.  Don't go anywhere near this unless you like Crosby Stills and Nash and neo-soul stuff like Dwele and/or Robert Owens vocal house stuff with Mr Fingers.  This really surprised me and it does actually sound like 'CSN' era Crosby Stills and Nash with Chick Corea on keys remixed by 4Hero with a few bleeps chucked in.  Trust me it works but don't blame me if you hate it  :-\

Francios K - Frequencies
: A kevorkian mix 2xCD of some recent house/tech/electro tunes that he's been playing at various spots around the globe.  I've only had it on in the car but it's pretty good as mixes go.. particularly the first CD which is real slow builder.

Gilles Peterson: Back in Brazil: Nice collection of old (CD1) and contemporary (CD2) Brazilian tunage - I'm not sure how good it'll sound driving through the drizzle over the Snake in Winter but it does the trick when I've nicked my wifes car and got the roof down bombing down the A6 in the sunshine with a stick clip sticking out the back and a rucksack of quickdraws, water and powerbars.

Rekid: Made in Menorca: Contemporary downbeat house music (sounds like a more electronic Theo Parrish) with a hint of dub.  Slow 'n moody... stoner house music for wearing sunglasses and lying down.

Nathan Fake: Drowning in a Sea of Love
- Bought on the strength of the recommendations on here - I've only had it on the once so can't pass judgment but it sounded good to me.

I also downloaded The Evens album from eMusic (nice one Monolith) and at the moment am listening to King by Belly (Tanya Donnelly's band post Throwing Muses) which is one of my favourite albums from t'early nineties...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#926 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
July 30, 2006, 01:55:41 pm
Rekid: Made in Menorca: Contemporary downbeat house music (sounds like a more electronic Theo Parrish) with a hint of dub.  Slow 'n moody... stoner house music for wearing sunglasses and lying down.

This is very good - Detroity feel to much of it, and as FD says, excellent horizontal listening.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#927 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
July 31, 2006, 01:38:13 pm
I used to be really into the Jade Tree record label, and they had a band called Jets to Brazil on who have some great songs. Very much worth checking out.

Just to go back to the Dischord chat, not sure if any of you Fugazi fans have seen their Instrument DVD? Well that was produced by a guy called Jem Cohen. If you liked Instrument, it might well be worth watching another of his films I have recently discovered:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0233315/

I haven't yet seen it, but I'm sure it should be worthy of a chance purchase.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#928 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 01, 2006, 02:50:26 pm
I've got a couple of Jets to Brazil albums. I really rated Orange Rhyming Dictionary.

I haven't seen the Fugazi dvd you mention, but I'll seek it out. I used to be really up on that whole scene, but have drifted off into other types of music of late.

On a different note, I read all these recs for dance/electronica on here, but I seem to have a mental block about this stuff these days (maybe because I don't go clubbing anymore). The nearest I've come to it in recent times is Vulnerabilia by a brilliant Manchester band called My Computer. If you liked Dubnobasswithmyheadman you'll love this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00006G9T9/026-1839493-8787626?v=glance&n=229816&s=music&v=glance

Monolith

• forum hero
#929 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 01, 2006, 05:11:51 pm
Instrument is a fantastic documentation of a band. My biggest regret was turning down a ticket to see them in my second year at uni as I had to go to a good friend's birthday event. Looks like I've missed the boat, or have I??

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#930 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 14, 2006, 08:39:46 pm
BUMP

I would like to urge you all to seek out a version of Snoop's seminal "Gin 'n Juice" by a band called The Gourds. Had this played to me over the weekend and haven't stopped listening to it since...Country n Western Gangsta y'all!

Duma

• forum hero
#931 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 15, 2006, 01:44:13 pm
Possibly the best cover of all time, IMHO of course, is The Gourds' cover of Gin 'n Juice. Saltbeef knows what I'm talking about..

Do you mean THIS??

S'ok I suppose, but I don't really get it.

There's an impressive collection of covers over at http://www.prankster.it/ (click on "COVER MANIA")

Some of my favourites include
Mojo Nixon doing "Girlfriend in a coma"
New Model Army doing "New England"
Nick Cave doing "Disco 2000" (strangely tear-jerking)
Untergangskommando doing "Girls just wanna have fun"
Johnny Cash doing "Personal Jesus"
and

Rolf Harris doing "I touch myself" - disturbing ooh-ahh wobbleboard version. With screaming.

back on page 41 TTT - you're slipping...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#932 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 15, 2006, 04:23:04 pm
 :guilty:

dammit! Bubba will never forgive me now...

I'm clearing out my social calendar for a full, page-by-page review of all topics so this doesn't happen again...I'm actually more gutted I missed the tipoff first time round, it's ace!

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#933 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 16, 2006, 12:36:46 pm
The fields     http://www.fieldsmusic.com/home.htm

I've not heard very much of their stuff but it sounds very promising definatley something to watch out for in the future

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#934 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 18, 2006, 08:28:59 pm
One for Fiend and some of the other D&B fans, particularly of the old skool variety...(following on from my posting on the Game for a Laugh thread)

I have a mix tape from Jungle Quake '94 feat. Roni Size and Mickey Finn.. one of the tracks is a very minimalist tune that sounds just like a Ray Keith/Terrorist effort that (unlikely as it sounds..) samples the lines '.... and I will always love you.. ' from Whitney's hit at the time and obviously never made it to a commercial release, yet it's set against a minor key and a really hollow bassline which completely flips the intent and feel of the vocal line... very good indeed.

Anyone (Fiend ?) got any clues as to the artist and where I might secure an MP3 or indeed a physical copy in vinyl or CD... Google turns up nothing of any note... and I guess we are going back a bit here....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#935 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 18, 2006, 08:48:45 pm

Probably best asking on one of the old skool forums - somebody will know unless it was something uber-rare.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#936 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 19, 2006, 03:39:18 pm
Just stumbled across this site here. 

Mixes of many a style for free download.

Monolith

• forum hero
#937 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 19, 2006, 04:34:38 pm
I have a mix tape from Jungle Quake '94 feat. Roni Size and Mickey Finn.. one of the tracks is a very minimalist tune that sounds just like a Ray Keith/Terrorist effort that (unlikely as it sounds..) samples the lines '.... and I will always love you.. ' from Whitney's hit at the time and obviously never made it to a commercial release, yet it's set against a minor key and a really hollow bassline which completely flips the intent and feel of the vocal line... very good indeed.

I have a funny feeling in my stomach that that very same Jungle Quake 94 mixtape was owned by one of my best friends at school John Horgan who introuced me to that very mix at the time.
The tune you are referring to might well be by Stevie Hyper D. I'm fairly confident he featured on the mixtape and didn't have quite as prominent a position in the Jungle limelight as Size and Finn. I'll ask him when I can via email, as I know he's somewhere in Malay at the moment, but is ideally poised to give you any old school Jungle info you might like.

You've probably heard of the shop and mail order company Dance Music Finder, but just in case you haven't, they're worth getting in touch with if you're on the hunt for any old school Jungle mixes. If they can't, they should at very least be able to put you in touch with someone who can help find what you're looking for.

http://www.dancevinylfinder.co.uk/

Best of luck with your hunt, I know how agonising it can be trying to find a tune with only the vaguest of bass lines in your head!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#938 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 19, 2006, 04:50:50 pm
Late in t'thread, but plenty of good mixes at http://www.themixingbowl.org/ its a torrent site, so you'll need the appropriate software.

Personally I like http://www.ugress.com/ as well  :whistle:

Monolith

• forum hero
#939 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 19, 2006, 05:28:45 pm
Forgot to ask..
Is anybody familiar with the Headcase Ladz? Welsh Hip-Hop posse featured on Radio One a fair while back. They're ace and I've just managed to borrow their album "Get a Life". It sounds incredible!

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#940 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 20, 2006, 11:00:21 am
for those who like to dig around old mix tapes, the dalston oxfam shop

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#941 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 22, 2006, 12:41:04 pm
One for Fiend and some of the other D&B fans, particularly of the old skool variety...(following on from my posting on the Game for a Laugh thread)

Anyone (Fiend ?) got any clues as to the artist and where I might secure an MP3 or indeed a physical copy in vinyl or CD... Google turns up nothing of any note... and I guess we are going back a bit here....

Black - Black (DJ SS on Formation Records)

It's available on the United Colours of Drum & Bass compilation (Formation Records), and probably readily available on MP3 given it's age, but I don't know where.

Edit: And yes, a bloody good track ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 12:46:08 pm by Fiend »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#943 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 22, 2006, 01:40:15 pm
 :great: Nice one fellas - have some waddage.  UKB knowledge strikes again!

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#944 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 22, 2006, 10:13:36 pm
you see, this is why i like UKB......
people voicing what there listening to and enjoying, from uber trainspotting to basic pop...and no one being a twat about it-i think you know what Im saying

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#945 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 23, 2006, 08:26:42 am
k.e.w.l.

currently murdering the shackleton ep - blood on my hands - SKULL003

here's a track from it: http://www.wordthecat.com/images/shackleton-naked.mp3

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#946 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 24, 2006, 08:18:15 am
this may appeal to those with industrial tastes:

surgeon's set at glade festy (100mb zip file)

surgeon's also appearing here for a night of heavy industry on 1st sept in birmingham, if anyone's up for it

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#947 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 24, 2006, 08:42:53 am
It's a good set from the man himself;  there is no-one making music like him in the UK, or anyone that will slam his mixes with Whitehouse and other ugly gems.  (Except Regis).  Good to see him getting back to grind.   You like British Murder Boys?  Tres bon.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#948 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 24, 2006, 10:30:52 am
Currently enjoying the new Twilight Singers album "Powder Burns" - it's Greg Dulli's (ex-Afghan Whigs) new band. I'm pretty biased though, as I've been a massive fan since the seminal Afghan Whigs' "Gentlemen".

If you like you rock dark, soul-tinged and a bit E-Street Band-ish in places, this is for you.

For those interested, they're playing the Sheffield Boardwalk tonight I think - I saw them at the Scala down here on Tuesday and I'd highly recommend going along...

Monolith

• forum hero
#949 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 24, 2006, 10:46:00 am
Greg Dulli hey? I've always meant to listen to the Afghan Wigs but never have for some idiotic reason. I'll get onto it. Greg Dulli played guitar on a track off the very first Foo Fighters album did he not? Man I adore that CD.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal