UKBouldering.com

Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats (Read 715969 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#825 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 10:32:49 am
I've mainly been listening to Stereolab albums "Margerine Eclipse" and "Emperor Tomato Ketchup" over the last few days. Just suits my current mood, though I can't understand half the lyrics coz they sing lots of stuff in French!

Duma

• forum hero
#826 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 10:47:00 am
I agree its probably the lowest point, was more suprised how much I enjoyed it after relegating it to the back of the box for ~ 5 years. Split the Diff is great, total return to form as far as I'm concerned. Wouldn't bother with the live album personally, not that it's not good, it just doesn't add much to the studio stuff.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#827 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 11:45:15 am
On the subject of Cover Versions, the free CD with the new Q mag has some great ones notably Flaming Lips doing Kylie and Editors doing REM. Good fun.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#828 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 11:47:03 am

Corinne Bailey-Rae covering Razorlight's "Golden Touch" live on R1 was pretty damn good.

BenF

• forum hero
#829 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 12:12:41 pm
This week I have mostly been listening to early Bonkers-era happy hardcore.

AND I SAY THAT WITHOUT ANY SHAME!

And good on yer Fiend. I was round at a mates house the other week and borrowed some seriously cheesy triple CD classic rave anthems or something similarly scary (obviously I hid the case out of sight whilst it was round at my flat).  I can't say I've hammered it but I ripped a bunch of tracks off it and created a reasonable old school playlist.  Not quite as happy hardcore as you've been sampling, but some cheesy classic stuff from circa 1992.  More Altern8 than Helter Skelter.
Enjoyed it muchly though.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#830 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 12:23:53 pm

I've got lots of quality old-skool mix tapes from back in the day.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#831 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 12:30:30 pm
I recently discovered an original tape of the New Years bash at the 'Drome in Birkenhead from 94/95.
Absolutely classic. Need to get into some other format before the tape falls apart, any suggestions?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#832 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 09:18:31 pm

Depends on your soundcard - some will take an analog input so you can just feed a tape deck in, set the levels and record using something like Soundforge.

It's a shame a lot of old mixtapes were made before digital recording was the norm, otherwise we wouldn't be left with shitty sounding tapes. Ah well.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#833 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 10:03:00 pm
have been mostly been listening to MFDoom / Dangermouse stuff lately, quality. Oh, and the Prodigy Experience as well.

Pemb

• regular
  • probably injured
    • Longest Mile Records
#834 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 11:11:52 pm
Never got to experience the magic of the Drome unfortunately, was well too young at the time. Heard a few tapes though and they were absolute quality.

I've been listening to quite a lot of MF Doom and Dangermouse as well recently. Downloaded The Mouse & The Mask, Operation Doomsday and Ghetto Pop Life recently and they are all quality.

JR

• forum abuser
#835 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 18, 2006, 08:57:18 am

Been loving Lily Allen over the last few days.

It's sort of cheeky, rude pop music, but it's funny and interesting.

You can hear some tracks on her myspace page, including her single LDN, which is no doubt going to get a shit load of summer radio play.

been digging that too, got about 8 tracks, pretty variable but some of it is inspired. 

Just found KT Tunstall's self released 2000 album called tracks in july.  Its actually really good, nowhere near as poppy as eye to the telescope; quite folky and gentle and uninfluenced by record company men.  Worth a listen.

and you can get it here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/vibhda

Nordic lounge is pretty fly n'all. word
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 11:49:19 am by JR »

Stubbs

#836 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 18, 2006, 09:31:43 am
For all you Hip Hop peeps out there, may I suggest you turn your ears to Lupe Fiasco, if you ain't already www.lupefiasco.com/ a few mixtapes out at the mo, fahrenheit 1/15 probably being the best, album on the way.

Also Ghostface's new album Fishscale is also heat

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#837 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 18, 2006, 10:26:32 pm
cheers fiend i mite just have to purchase some of them

If you want some dirty tech funk, add this to your list:

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/219516-01.htm

JR

• forum abuser
#838 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 21, 2006, 10:34:13 am
breaks co-op - the sound inside.  zane lowe's band, pretty good.  Not too sure where to categorise it.  has electronica, funk, house, influences of a bit of death in vegas, bit of dj shadow, bit of zero 7 n a bit of shit thrown in...  worth a listen though.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#839 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 23, 2006, 07:57:23 pm
If anyone out there is not already familiar with him, I'd like to recommend Johannes Heil (the surname should give his country-of-origin away quite quickly).  A techno artist that has always seen fit to move you with melody, strings, and sometimes quite beautiful and unsettling vocals - rather than this :wall:  But he can turn on the diapham-wobbling sub-bass in quite a way.

This is his latest:  http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/216115-01.htm

He's one of those people I've always kept up with, and for me, rarely disappoints.  "The 1st", man, this brings a tear to my eye.

I also like the way that he has sampled Charles Manson, "Hell, I shoulda killed a hundrid people, and really offered society sumthin'".
:jaw:

And how could I forget:  http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/206254-01.htm

I've been shaking my glut's to this fine mix CD from the talented Swede, Samuel. L. Sessions for a few weeks.  Really puts a bounce in my step.  The kind of CD that makes the old grumps in the street mutter under their breath as you groove while you wait for the bus.  This dude is far from ungenerous wit da funk!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 08:50:53 pm by Houdini »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#840 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
June 03, 2006, 10:39:36 am

That's some good dirty dancefloor techno - I like it.

Just found a nice bittorrent site that has a pretty huge archive of dj mixes including all the essential mix / breezeblock and lots more. Am downloading some Derrick May mixes at the moment. Good shit.

http://themixingbowl.org

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#841 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
June 03, 2006, 06:35:11 pm
Woah Bubz!

What have you unleashed here?

See I'll be needing that external harddrive sooner rather than later.

I'm keeping it Kraut with the Tiefschwartz for the mo.  Might need a whole day to scan this site!

And without further ado, let's continue our tour of World Techno, bringing-it back home with the awesome Englander, Dave Angel.

This is the first mix of his that I've bought and it's seeing some pretty heavy rotation here in the Technarium.  Alas, not on Juno.  Perhaps that's as it's pretty old - 2003.  Yet all the tracks are fucking wicked, as I used to say when I was 15.  His site daveangel.com is down, so there's no snippets to hear hare here, but I'm sure the commited will find a way.  hell, buy it on my recommendation, you won't be let down.  Techfunk at it's best.

includes trax by, ROKU (that's Londoners Bens Sims & Mark Broom); Frenchman, OXIA; Yanx, Smith and Selway; Swede's, Adam Beyer & Henrik B; Austrians, Felipe & Nicholas Bacher; and Mr. Angel himself.

Myself and the strife, went out randomly in Hamburg one night a couple of years back, and were stumbled upon a set from Angel.  My kind of DJ: heads-up!   And had this curious habit of going kinda slack-jawed and shacking his head at the crowd in encouragement, plus, never dropped a beat in 6 hours.

Anecdote:  Dave used to be a car thief.  he got banged-up.  Where, he got hold of some pretty naff equipment and made a remix of "Sweet Dreams" which was put out on white label, which did very well.  Dave wotshisname from the Eurythmics got wind of it, dragged Angel to his studio when he was released, and made him re-record it on decent kit.  It went huge, and that's how Angel got his foot in the door.

EDIT - and yeah - you can find it in the "Trust The Dj" series: DA03.  www.trustthedj.com (only a fiver!)   Posting drunk....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 04:49:43 pm by Houdini »

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#842 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
June 03, 2006, 07:41:50 pm
Recently been sessioning Nathan Fake's album 'Drowning in a Sea of Love'. Great tune on it called Charlie's House. A bit Boards of Canadary, and very very good.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#843 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
June 03, 2006, 08:18:13 pm
mentioned above by yours truly, but so fucking good that i salute you for reminding everyone.
i love it, i love it, i love it...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#844 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
June 03, 2006, 08:29:58 pm
Funny that... I was just reading your original post.

I'm going to buy it on Monday.  That's a lie, it's another bank holiday here in the Reich. 

I'm going to buy it on Tuesday.

Nathan (I ain't no) Fake.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#845 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
June 14, 2006, 10:46:18 pm
Just got the Nathan Fake - sounds good of a quick listen.

Now this is my sort of Techno - get this mix if you like Hawtin kinda funky tech.

Thomas Brinkman - Blue Room Mix.

I got it on Soulseek and might oink it if it passes the site requirements - good shit.

* ps may also be under "soul center" / "soul centre" instead of "thomas brinkman"
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 10:51:49 pm by Bubba »

Monolith

• forum hero
#846 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
June 15, 2006, 11:52:38 am
Thomas Brinkman, nice recommendation Bubba, will get on the case. Have been gagging for a fresh hit of techno of late, been a bit in the musical doldrums!
I think Jim mentioned it a little while ago, but if you havent heard Jackson and His Computer Band's 'Smash' album, it is well worth checking it out. Some of you may be in that familiar situation I always seem to get myself into by hearing a track and then never knowing who it is. I'm referring to the latest O2 ad campaign on TV. It has obvious influences of Autechre's Gantz Graf which shine through. The whole explosive-view synchronised pulsing vibe.
Saw Jackson at Liverpool's Chibuku Shake Shake with Jamie Lidell last year and it was an awesome night with the best atmosphere at an electronica gig in ages.
But yeah the track is called Utopia and it is by Jackson  on Warp Records.

Anyone know much about Matthew Dear's work? Have his latest Audion offering but believe he might have done some other stuff that I'm having difficulty in tracking down.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#847 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
June 15, 2006, 11:54:31 am

Smash is awesome -  have you got the Smash Megamix too?

Monolith

• forum hero
#848 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
June 15, 2006, 01:49:38 pm
yeah I got the smash megamix as i pre-ordered his album. Very very good. Do you have a copy Bubba or do you want one? Think they may have released a limited number of them??

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#849 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
June 15, 2006, 02:00:07 pm

It's ok, I got it from Soulseek...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal