UKBouldering.com

Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats (Read 711064 times)

Palomides

• forum abuser
#800 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 04, 2006, 02:25:29 pm
Possibly the best cover of all time, IMHO of course, is The Gourds' cover of Gin 'n Juice. Saltbeef knows what I'm talking about..

Do you mean THIS??

S'ok I suppose, but I don't really get it.

There's an impressive collection of covers over at http://www.prankster.it/ (click on "COVER MANIA")

Some of my favourites include
Mojo Nixon doing "Girlfriend in a coma"
New Model Army doing "New England"
Nick Cave doing "Disco 2000" (strangely tear-jerking)
Untergangskommando doing "Girls just wanna have fun"
Johnny Cash doing "Personal Jesus"
and

Rolf Harris doing "I touch myself" - disturbing ooh-ahh wobbleboard version. With screaming.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#801 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 04, 2006, 03:12:40 pm
I have to agree that Will Oldham doing Ignition is totally banana's. Just two opposite ends of the spectrum meeting at 100mph (or should that be 1mph) and creating something that is more that the sum of it's parts.

Whilst on here, I want to reccommend;

VA - Idol Tryouts Two Ghostly International Vol Two This is a label compilation, but moves between ethereal abstract beat noises to more traditional techno. More info can be found at http://www.idoltryouts.com/. If you're into your electronic music it's worth getting.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#802 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 04, 2006, 06:51:09 pm
Overheard a couple of tracks from this last night http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B6GIV8/qid=1146735232/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-0971389-4763659

It's fucking hilarious, although I don't think it's supposed to be. The swing version of "Smells like teen Spirit" is excellent. Worth buying to hear "Black Hole Sun" as well.

That's a funny album :lol:

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#803 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 04, 2006, 10:41:51 pm
Quote from: Palomides
Do you mean THIS??

Genius! :D

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#804 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 04, 2006, 11:37:51 pm
Ok, so it's not funky, but it is fresh, the new Tool album 10,00 days, is the most innovative, challenging, complex, dark and twisted record I've heard in a long time. Well since the last Tool album, Lateralus, to be precise. So it's Metal Jim but not as we know it. A must buy. Listen to bits at http://www.toolband.com

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#805 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 05, 2006, 08:28:47 am
I've got Ben Folds covering "Careless Whisper" with Rufus Wainwright, that's pretty decent.

Apparently my mate found UK indie band like Embrace(?) doing a cover of D12's "How Come", thought that would be weird.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#806 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 05, 2006, 08:54:13 am
Embrace were doing the D12 cover on the last tour. Strangely likelable. Wouldn't call them indie anymore though.

steven82

• player
#807 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 07, 2006, 03:27:15 pm
i'm looking for some really good drum and bass found a few bits but just wondering if anyone out there can drop me some names so i can beef up me collection alittle

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#808 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 07, 2006, 08:05:48 pm

Fiend is the forum D&B expert - check his posts in this topic for lots of recommendations...

steven82

• player
#809 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 07, 2006, 08:07:09 pm
thanks for the tip

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#810 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 08, 2006, 12:49:28 pm

Fiend is the forum D&B expert - check his posts in this topic for lots of recommendations...

Cheers  ;)

Steve, give me some ideas what styles you like, what stuff you have already, and what you might be after...

P.S. Have mostly been listening to instrumental hip-hop and dark classical this weekend.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#811 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 08, 2006, 05:40:43 pm
If we're on the subject of quality and/or comedy covers, we've got to mention Snuff, the 80's punk band who brilliantly covered Tiffany's 'I think we're alone now' on the album Snuff said. On other albums you can find such classics as a 'cover' version of the 'shake and vac' advert.  ::)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#812 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 08, 2006, 10:03:50 pm
Or indeed Lawnmower Deth's charming rendition of Kids In America.... (Kim Wilde??)

steven82

• player
#813 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 08, 2006, 10:28:06 pm
i've only got a few mix cds that me mates have given me, i dont really know wot type of d&b i like i've just heard bits and pieces i really like. i'm not really into stuff too fast but somethin abit dark and funky any names or some pointers to get me started would be much appreciated if poss

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#814 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 09, 2006, 08:09:20 am
Yo steve82

Been out the drum and bass scene a few years now, but when I was buying records every week Ed rush and Optical were the drum and bass brothers. They had a label called Virus that only  put out quality, bubbling, intricate dark beats but always with a certain twisted funk to them. They commercially  released an album called wormhole on CD which must be out there to download somewhere. Know the scenes moved on since then but reckon Ed Rush and Optical will stand the test of time and'll still be producing the goods probably...

8)

steven82

• player
#815 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 09, 2006, 11:12:04 am
cheers lorentz for that i've just downloaded some of ed rush and opticals stuff and its pretty good i'm liking it so far.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#816 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 09, 2006, 12:11:28 pm
Hmph. I'm not a fan of Ed Rush and Optical - their individual stuff was great (The Raven etc etc) but together they ended up sounding pretty mundane with a few exceptions (Slip Thru, Alien Girl, Kerbkrawler).

If you like dark and funky stuff, try the following:

Maldini & Vegas - Bad Taste (ex-Bad Company members compilation of good techstep)

Teebee - The Legacy (quality groovy techy stuff)

Dom and Roland - Chronology (dark cinematic stuff)

Calyx - Moving Shadow 05.2 (good compilation of techy beats)

In addition, you really should own the following CDs:

Black Sun Empire - Driving Insane
Blame - 720 Revolutions
Big Bud - Fear Of Flying
Dieselboy - Dungeonmaster's Guide
Klute - No-one Is Listening Any More
Bad Company - Digital Nation

because they are all f---ing awesome

steven82

• player
#817 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 09, 2006, 12:17:19 pm
cheers fiend i mite just have to purchase some of them

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#818 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 09, 2006, 12:38:57 pm
can i get some feedback on the new chilli peppers stuff. everyone is wailing about it but i aint really heard none yet. :-\

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#819 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 09, 2006, 02:37:17 pm
Yo Fiend.

Good stuff, man. TeeBee's quality. Got the black sciencelabs album. Bad Company kick(ed) ass as well. I'm well out the loop now on the D+B front but good to hear the old names knocking around. If only I still had the disposable income to buy vinyl and the undamaged hearing to appreciate it how it should be - LOUD!

Moving shadow and Blame always good for the lighter tech funk side (as opposed to BCs hard n dark) If you want a true classic tho Doc Scott's mixmag live breakbeats experiment (vol22) is a quality dj'd journey thru dark, techy beats with some lighter omni trio chucked in to lift the spirits. Showing my age a bit there - it's 1996.

Still think Ed rush + optical kicked ass (when I were a lad). Agree about alien girl, but also check (hang on while I dive in my record box!) Zardoz and Satellites double a side (Virus002) not sure which is which but one of them is a black cauldron of bubbling dark sci-fi funk. D'ya ever hear
Ed Rush's Kilimanjaro? Also a blinder.

Anything Ram Records also used to have a finger on the pulse  in the hard and fast vein.

Cor feeling all inspired now! Off for a (quiet) mix!

8)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#820 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 14, 2006, 06:44:43 pm
Something that I've been listening to and really enjoying...

Nordic Lounge - This is a triple cd compilation type thing that's so good sounding it's been awarded a new genre by my girlfriend and I. House music is all well and good (not as good as techno or folk) but this new genre is Souse music (so named because it is sexy house). It's music that make you want to groove as well as make love. It's a dichotomy between dance and sex. I made another recommendation previously about a band called Plej. If you liked that, you'll love this. Infact, they feature on it. It's available on a certain pink palace and probably at amazon etc. This is definitely worth checking out...

//enjoy

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#821 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 09:37:39 am

That's very nice uncle - I'd just call most of that "Deep House" but there we go ;)

It'll definitely be on my "Ibiza poolside" playlist later this year :)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#822 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 10:04:06 am
This week I have mostly been listening to early Bonkers-era happy hardcore.

AND I SAY THAT WITHOUT ANY SHAME!

Duma

• forum hero
#823 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 10:21:07 am
Rediscovered 'In Your Gun' (Gomez) last night, got it years ago and was dissapointed, but listening again it deserved reassessment. Maybe not up there with 'Bring It On' but pretty fine nonetheless. Bit of Zutons-esque (whose latest album is also going down well) horns on the opening track anall..

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#824 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 15, 2006, 10:25:04 am
A good album, but not great considering what went before it. I felt the same on first acquaintance with "Split the Difference", but it grew on me even more than "......Gun". Is the live album worthwhile, or not really?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal