UKBouldering.com

Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats (Read 710967 times)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Just been sent a link from those nice guys at Highpoint Lowlife to something called Electronic Explorations. The blurb says the following:

"If you like your music experimental, uncompromising, hand crafted and eerie, mathematical and heavy on the bass then look no further than Electronic Explorations If you’re an admirer of records labels such as Planet Mu, DMZ, Tectonic, Hyperdub, Skull Disco, Tempa, M_Nus, Rephlex, Counterbalance, Dynamic Tension & Warp Records to name but a few then you’re in for a real treat."

Not investigated much other than looking at who is on there but it looks good.  I will add that there is a Surgeon mix available in case you need any more persuading though I suspect that it is not going to be necessary for most of you...  ;)

bluebrad

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Quite.

Heard that Surgeon month or so back - it's good, a worthwhile listen.  Not bothered w/ the rest.   :)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I was going to put this as a serious link in the tech thread but thought better - not wishing to sully such good copy.  Behold!  DJ Trainwreck in all his glory!

DJ Trainwreck ~ The Worst Mix Ever
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:36:00 pm by Houdini »

andy_e

• forum hero
one for chappers

Holy crap, here's a proper review...

I started listening to the first track and thought, oh my god, what is this horrific electro-crap that's been mistakenly put onto my 65daysofstatic CD? OK, it's not a bad tune and it is most certainly electro stamped with 65days' usual style. However, normal service is resumed in the second track and the epic noisemongers do their duty in knocking my little socks off. The third track is much lighter and more playful in style but still very epic. The fourth tune is a fitting finale for a 65days release, nice and epic as usual.

Compared to most music, I'd give this 4/5 for being sheer quality, but compared to other 65days releases, it'll have to be 3/5. Better than most of The Destruction of Small Ideas but not a shade on the first two albums.

Also, they played leeds recently and I missed them  :'( did anyone catch them?

Soon I'll be reviewing Youthmovies' new album Good Nature. More brilliance from these lads including the excellent TNGIAM (The Naughtiest Girl Is A Monitor).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Obviously Four Tet when you listen to it but subtly different to his earlier stuff - a bit more edgy I would say and very nice too.

Indeed. Good stuff.

Have you listened to the Kieren Hebden stuff? The Exchange Sessions and Tongues? Listen to them a bit, but need to do so a bit more.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
I'm currently enjoying the new Martina Topley Bird album...

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters

Indeed. Good stuff.

Have you listened to the Kieren Hebden stuff? The Exchange Sessions and Tongues? Listen to them a bit, but need to do so a bit more.

Got the first of the Exchange Sessions albums but very rarely listen to it - it's just doesn't work for me that much. To do improv well and not make it sound like awful noodling bollocks is very difficult and IMO it often takes the members of any improv band a long time playing together to get it to the point where they feed off each other naturally. What is your take on the later works out of interest?

Now for really good improv I would recommend either of the first two Shalabi Effect albums - The Trial of St. Orange or Shalabi Effect.

bluebrad

SA Chris

• forum hero
What is your take on the later works out of interest

Second verse same as the first. Not as good as it could be in theory.

dave

heads up, has anyone got that new portishead album yet - if so, any comment? I've not heard any of it yet, so will probably get it but if its shit tell me now, i'd rather not hear it than buy it and be disappointed. the previousl 2 albums were just so fucking good. question?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
heads up, has anyone got that new portishead album yet - if so, any comment? I've not heard any of it yet, so will probably get it but if its shit tell me now, i'd rather not hear it than buy it and be disappointed. the previousl 2 albums were just so fucking good. question?

I've listened to it a couple of times, and whilst it's certainly not shit, it's not exactly like their previous two. I would definitely say it's worth getting though. Haven't you read the glowing review on Pitchfork?

dave

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Its gets Bubba's seal of approval by the sounds of it....

On the same subject....I've just listened to an advance copy of Portishead's new album "Third". It's total quality.

I've just listened to the fourth track, "The Rip" over ten times in a row straight, love it.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
heads up, has anyone got that new portishead album yet - if so, any comment?

Uncle's summary is pretty much on the money - there are enough tracks there that sound like Portishead to make it feel like a Portishead album but it is not really in the same league as either of the previous albums. Worth getting but don't pay top dollar for it.

bluebrad

SA Chris

• forum hero
I get the feeling very few people pay top dollar (or indeed any dollar) for music these days.

BenF

• forum hero
Andrew Weatherall - Watch the Ridewww.myspace.com/watchtheride.  A mix quite unlike the last three Watch the Ride mixes (which were what roughly equates to DnB at the moment) and is pretty chilled out, but with a fair bit of mid tempo funky stuff too.  I haven't bought anything quite so relaxed as this for a long while so it was quite pleasant last night just listening to something that is more like music than just pounding bass.  Normal service resumed when I drove to work today listening to Skream's Rinse mix, which is probably the best dubstep mix I've come across.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
You'd be right.

Key releases of favourite cherished bands for me only (especially if I can buy them from the band at a gig).  The rest I steal ruthlessly from the internet (actually loads of downloads are put out by the bands themselves who see that mp3 previews of stuff actually promote people into buying hardcopy).  Some artists/bands don't mind that much as they rarely make € from records anyway - gigging being where the € is.  Many do mind though, but if record firms stop releasing on vinyl and make it CD-only as the margins are better then they've got it coming.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
I get the feeling very few people pay top dollar (or indeed any dollar) for music these days.

It was the best way I could come up with of putting across my opinion on said album but I know what you mean.

bluebrad

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
actually loads of downloads are put out by the bands themselves who see that mp3 previews of stuff actually promote people into buying hardcopy.

I linked to an article citing Radiohead's in Rainbows album as an example last week.

Some artists/bands don't mind that much as they rarely make € from records anyway - gigging being where the € is.

There are very few bands that I know of who make any money from touring full stop - they may make fuck all from records at times but unless you are huge you will do well to break even on a tour let alone make money.

bluebrad

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
Will someone DL SCOTT WALKER's ~ The Drift, and tell me how good it is!?  That I'm not imagining it!?   
This record has taken over my day, probably tomorrows too.  Thank fuck I'm unemployable.
How good it is!? It's not. You are imagining it. Luckily I only wasted driving time last night whilst listening to it. The only time it took out of today was the click of my finger to delete it. Thank fuck I'm employable.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
  :lol: @ Steve M

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
Don't get me wrong, I like stuff from his earlier albums, but this gets  :thumbsdown: from me. The last shadow puppets seem to have taken on his mantle and be running with it far more successfully.

dm

• regular
Clutchy Hopkins.  Get on it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
At last some drum'n'bass: This is a pretty nice listen, uplifting for the summer vibe, and the two guitar-sample tracks are well catchy (and don't mention f##king Pendulumn too me, this isn't the indie rock thread)

andy_e

• forum hero
Dubstep-heads: Anyone know of any good liquid dubstep mixes floating about on the internet?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Erm . . .   I've no idea what liquid dubstep is . . .  But I do happen to have this which has some nice off-beats sub-bass and what-not:

BUSHBY ~ You Can Never Have Too Many Weapons

Thatboytim - Midnite Creep [unreleased]
RAC - Tunnel Talk [Warp]
Thatboytim - Nightwatch [unreleased]
Mike Lennon - Click Factor [Wut Eva]
Thatboytim - Unknown Terrain [unreleased]
Senor Frio - Sub Noctum [Digital Distortions]
Mazzula - Bass Bias [Data Trace]
Senor Frio - Scran [Digital Distortions]
SmashBack - Ublerbruch (Ardisson Remix) [Data Trace]
Scanone - Trotter [Combat]
/Product.01 - Ready2Rage [unreleased]