UKBouldering.com

Val di Mello and surrounding area (Read 1914 times)

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
Val di Mello and surrounding area
May 28, 2014, 10:35:58 am
Going to be in the area the week after next with a few days to kill.

Anyone got any tips on areas to climb/visit, places to stay (have nowhere booked for five days), must-do problems up to mid-7's?

Heard mention that one of the valleys along from Mello is particularly good, but no idea which one?

Paul B

• forum hero
My recommendation would be eating Pizzocheri, drinking red wine and then coffee at the Luna Hut. Borrowing the owner's (Leica) binoculars to look up at Luna Nascente is optional.

The pizza place is also good.

In town the coffee bar is owned by a very active climber. The coffee is also good here.

oh sorry, is this a climbing forum? Whoops.

205Chris

• forum hero
#2 Re: Val di Mello and surrounding area
June 28, 2016, 07:32:38 pm
Thought I'd resurrect a thread rather than starting a new one.

Heading out to Italy for the first two weeks in September with my girlfriend, preference is for Val Di Mello (bouldering). We'll be driving down in our van, looking for beta on:

Places to stay (would prefer campsite with facilities rather than a van doss)
Problem recommendations
Things to do on rest days etc.

Anything else we should do while we're there?

Thanks y'all

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Val di Mello and surrounding area
June 28, 2016, 08:26:52 pm
It's probably a good thing you're after a campsite as Van dossing is frowned upon I think?

The one in Mello is reasonably average for an above average price (for our van I think staying was comparative in cost to buying the guide book daily give or take a few Euros).

simon40

• player
  • Sport climber, too weak to boulder
#4 Re: Val di Mello and surrounding area
June 28, 2016, 08:34:05 pm
Where do i begin. Mello is fantastic, we camped at san martino at the campsite sasso remenno, and think they take vans. Pretty incredible spot. We were mountaineering on the piz badille and sport climbing, although the boulders are within half hour max up the valley and in a superb setting. On rest days there is great walking everywhere, and some long routes in the valley, luna nacente etc etc. The village of san martino is great for just sitting around

And on the way you must go through Morbegno, which is hilariously twinned with Llanberis.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal