UKBouldering.com

Carrock Fell (Read 2729 times)

dave k

• obsessive maniac
Carrock Fell
May 25, 2014, 09:59:03 pm
Spending next week at Centre Parks near Penrith! Hoping to get a session or two at Carrock Fell. Got the mini guide.

I read its pretty fast drying and there are some areas/problems that might even stay dry after rain.

Is it likely I will find some dry rock this week?

Any tips on areas to visit? If a local was keen to give me an evening tour then that would be ace.

thekettle

• menacing presence
    • johnkettle.com
#1 Re: Carrock Fell
May 26, 2014, 08:52:57 pm
You'll definitely find dry rock at Carrock. Take lots of skin as it can be greasy in warm weather, if there's no breeze prepare for midges in the evening. Tons to go at, Northern Group is the classic place to get started but it's all really good. Only rain-proof problems I know of are Mint Wall problems (7A-7C+) and Generation Text/Punks Life (7B+, 7A+). These might feel pretty nails in warm conditions.
If it's warm and windless like today - and you have the time -  I'd go higher up eg Gillercombe boulders (Borrowdale), Garburn Pass boulder (Kentmere), Swindale Boulders (Shap), Lad Stones (Coniston) etc
Otherwise there's tons of excellent easier stuff at Carrock to charge about on. Enjoy!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Carrock Fell
May 30, 2014, 09:53:23 pm
Cheers for the info John Kettle. Great surname! Know Kettle is pretty common name (which we share), but never met one who is not a relation and definitely not a climber Kettle.  :offtopic:

Got an evening at Northern Group on Thursday. Rough crystaline gabbro is now my fav rock! Fricken loved the stuff at Carrock Fell. Shame I only had 3 hours. All the problems I did were 2 or 3 stars about 10 in 6C to 7A+ range. Really suits my style of fingery powerful moves. Kind of like limestone edges on grit. Conditions were probably unusually good for this time of year. Quite cool with a slight breeze. My skin held up really well. My fingers got a decent workout, mainly because I was running between problems

Recommended highlights were Slopey Arete, Boardmans L and R arete, Nova Scotia Arete and Canada Dry.

Hiked up the hill and had a few goes on the classic 7C Leopold von Buch - really impressive problem. Steep wall positive small  holds. Unfortunately a party just packed up as I arrived. They said the crucial foothold was now wet. I was left with just my small pod mat. Decided to have look anyway and managed to hold what I reckon was the crux move to a gaston with the LH. Was too chicken to try the top section sans spotters.

Anyway think I might be agreeing to another few trips to  Center Parks Winfell over the next few years. Perhaps an October visit! Although my missus will see straight through that one. Only a bit over 2 hours from Macclesfield, do do-able as a day trip. If any locals (John?) fancied giving me a tour of its other areas then I would def make a trip up.

SA Chris what were you doing on Mum-net?    ;) Made me (and my missus) laugh ALOT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal