UKBouldering.com

North Wales Campsite (Read 6347 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
North Wales Campsite
May 20, 2014, 02:08:04 pm
I've had a look at a couple of other threads on this and the verdict was that the campsite opposite the Vaynol was a good bet. However, I've heard that the Vaynol is now a complete shithole and so doesn't quite meet the criteria. Has anyone got any other suggestions for a good North Wales campsite that can do the following (in an approximate order of importance)

1. Is within stumbling distance of a pub that does decent food and drink at non-astronomical prices.
2. Is within easy striking distance of the trad in the Pass and Ogwen.
3. Doesn't need booking, just turn up and pay in the morning.
4. Is cheap (£5 a night would be good but a couple of quid more probably isn't a deal breaker). Minimal facilities required but a hot shower might be nice.

Does such a combination exist?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 20, 2014, 02:19:14 pm
Vaynol's really not that bad, and fulfils all your wishes (are you a climber or some kind of perfumed ponce?).

Midges were horrendous last time I was there, even getting into the pub, but it was later in the year and very humid.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 20, 2014, 02:19:40 pm
Bit of an uphill slog after the pub(s), of which you have a choice in Llanberis to stumble down to, but up the hill behind Llanberis Llwyn Celyn Bach, Llanberis, Caernarfon LL55 4SR was ok.

Don't think it was that expensive either, but can't recall exact details, we rocked up late and paid the next morning.  Downside is its not overly flat.

Don't think there are any campsites in Ogwen that are near a pub (as I don't recall there being any pubs in the valley, but I was probably driving along with my eyes shut).

Stubbs

#3 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 20, 2014, 02:57:33 pm
Stayed at the Vaynol one over May Bank, never seen so much soft shell material in one place!  It's still £5/person which seems quite reasonable for its location these days. Pray for a breeze up the valley or you'll get midged to fuck.

The Vaynol food is perfectly acceptable, they even had four veg options on which must be some sort of record, meat options looked good too, especially the lamb (locally sourced).

As with most pubs were the majority of the locals drink lager, you have to choose your ale by the one that is being drunk the most to avoid dodgy pints. That being said I think the beer is better kept there than it used to be.

There is limited camping next to the YHA in Ogwen and I believe they have a shop were you can buy beer, but it ain't cheap!

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 20, 2014, 03:06:24 pm
Pray for a breeze up the valley or you'll get midged to fuck.

Ha - I remember going for a piss in the night outside the tent there and wondering (in by still drunk state) why it felt like my legs were being sand blasted!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 20, 2014, 03:22:47 pm

As with most pubs were the majority of the locals drink lager, you have to choose your ale by the one that is being drunk the most to avoid dodgy pints. That being said I think the beer is better kept there than it used to be.

They're a Robinsons pub though, which is manifestly shit beer (or so my ale drinking friends say).  The selection of lagers (which is my preference) is pretty piss poor too (Carling and Fosters I think the last time I was there).

Stubbs

#6 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 20, 2014, 03:29:03 pm
I think they may have been taken over, or at least broadened their range, as three out of the five ales they had on were not Robinsons, and were all pretty tasty!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 20, 2014, 03:38:38 pm
That sounds promising.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#8 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 20, 2014, 06:34:15 pm
are you a climber or some kind of perfumed ponce?

Do you fuck arses, JB?

It sounds like we'll take our chances with the Vaynol. Incidentally the horror stories came through via Mark Reeves on Facebook. Apparently people stood round at the bar for 15 mins waiting for service (no queues, just lazy staff) and food taking hours to come out.

Cheers for the beta!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 20, 2014, 06:41:32 pm
Apparently people stood round at the bar for 15 mins waiting for service (no queues, just lazy staff) and food taking hours to come out.

New owners must be the ones who run the Fox House Inn as thats exactly the service we had when foolishly going for a drink after an evening at Burbage South the other week.

Stubbs

#10 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 20, 2014, 09:50:26 pm
We were in on Saturday of the bank hol, packed, lots of people eating, we all got our food within half an hour and the bar service was efficient as could be expected considering the crowds!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#11 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 20, 2014, 11:11:36 pm
Fair enoughskis. I do hope I haven't got my Llanberis pubs confused. Maybe it was the Heights!

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#12 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 21, 2014, 12:37:25 pm
are you a climber or some kind of perfumed ponce?

Do you fuck arses, JB?

It sounds like we'll take our chances with the Vaynol. Incidentally the horror stories came through via Mark Reeves on Facebook. Apparently people stood round at the bar for 15 mins waiting for service (no queues, just lazy staff) and food taking hours to come out.

Cheers for the beta!

Reeves wasn't talking about the Vaynol, he was referring to a certain pub in Llanberis which has recently changed management. The Vaynol is a good pub with decent beer. I've only eaten there recently at various BMC meetings (perfectly fine chilli and chips).

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#13 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 21, 2014, 12:40:18 pm
Balls. Apologies to the Vaynol!

galpinos

• forum hero
#14 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 21, 2014, 01:08:05 pm
They're a Robinsons pub though, which is manifestly shit beer

The are responsible for the world's best beer.......

http://www.oldtombeer.co.uk/

Yum!

The only issue with the Vaynol campsite is the chance of pissed up twats keeping oyu awake all night.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#15 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 21, 2014, 01:16:51 pm
They're a Robinsons pub though, which is manifestly shit beer (or so my ale drinking friends say)
I'm surprised at you Slackers: posting based on anecdote and second hand opinion.

If you ignore shite like Trooper, Robinsons makes some passable ales: Unicorn, Dizzy blond etc.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#16 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 21, 2014, 01:42:33 pm
The only issue with the Vaynol campsite is the chance of pissed up twats keeping oyu awake all night.

Oh I shouldn't worry about that. We normally sleep quite heavily in campsites on account of tiring ourselves out with staggering about and singing loudly.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#17 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 21, 2014, 02:12:49 pm
They're a Robinsons pub though, which is manifestly shit beer (or so my ale drinking friends say)
I'm surprised at you Slackers: posting based on anecdote and second hand opinion.

If you ignore shite like Trooper, Robinsons makes some passable ales: Unicorn, Dizzy blond etc.

Oh I've tried them, but all ales taste equally shit to me (just as all lagers taste crap to others).

Stubbs

#18 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 21, 2014, 02:34:06 pm
Will, I think you need to punter yourself for starting a topic based on second hand gossip, and then getting that completely wrong!

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#19 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 21, 2014, 04:52:23 pm
I presume you can still camp at Y Friscan (sp?) good pub, good beer and a good atmosphere despite the chance of a proper fight at closing time (50% of the time in my experience)

In my experience the Vaynol is worth 2/10, very poor quality overpriced food, very average Robinsons beer (and let's be honest Robinsons isn't exactly top flight to start with) I'd avoid it like the plague.

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 21, 2014, 05:21:54 pm
I take it you always go 'incognito' when visiting the principalities - attired in your England rugby shirt and medium grade brogues ;)

Sloper

• forum hero
#21 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 21, 2014, 05:30:34 pm
Bloody hell a gooner with a sense of humour, what are the odds?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#22 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 21, 2014, 07:07:42 pm
I thought tomtom supported Man United and Sloper was Scottish.

Classic thread fuck up by the way Will!

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 21, 2014, 07:30:49 pm
:D

Pantontino

• forum hero
#24 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 22, 2014, 10:38:17 am
After a great session up the Pass last night I was kidnapped by Andy Scott and made to go to the Vaynol where, for research purposes, I drank beer and ate peanuts, pork scratchings and crisps. All hit the mark perfectly. The other drinkers I spoke to seemed very happy with their beer. Dai Lampard was on the XB, somebody else was on Unicorn and we had some Dizzy Blonde which was both flavoursome and thirst quenching.

Minor midge attack for twenty minutes while climbing, but they soon disappeared. It's not full midge season yet.

Sloper - the Fricsan pub has been closed for a while, although the campsite is still in operation. I mourn the passing of this great pub, but it is a dangerously close walk to my house so it's probably for the best (the temptation to nip down for a pint or ten was often too much to resist).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#25 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 22, 2014, 11:32:08 am
Robinsons beer was terrible until about ten years ago, then they had a massive makeover and nowadays it is pretty damn good. Post-surf Unicorn in the Rising Sun, Llanengan has never disappointed.

Sloper

• forum hero
#26 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 22, 2014, 11:35:56 am
After a great session up the Pass last night I was kidnapped by Andy Scott and made to go to the Vaynol where, for research purposes, I drank beer and ate peanuts, pork scratchings and crisps. All hit the mark perfectly. The other drinkers I spoke to seemed very happy with their beer. Dai Lampard was on the XB, somebody else was on Unicorn and we had some Dizzy Blonde which was both flavoursome and thirst quenching.

Minor midge attack for twenty minutes while climbing, but they soon disappeared. It's not full midge season yet.

Sloper - the Fricsan pub has been closed for a while, although the campsite is still in operation. I mourn the passing of this great pub, but it is a dangerously close walk to my house so it's probably for the best (the temptation to nip down for a pint or ten was often too much to resist).

Bloody shame about the Fricsan.

Perhaps I need to try a Robinsons again (just for research purposes)

What about the campsite near the tyn y gowed or what ever it's called (on the A5)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#27 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 22, 2014, 12:57:03 pm
Classic thread fuck up by the way Will!

I've subsequently lowered my own expectations of myself when I put finger to keyboard on here. I think I might really be a complete div.

We'll be at Pritchard's, opposite the fine establishment that is The Vaynol.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#28 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 22, 2014, 12:59:52 pm
Robinsons beer was terrible until about ten years ago, then they had a massive makeover and nowadays it is pretty damn good. Post-surf Unicorn in the Rising Sun, Llanengan has never disappointed.

I've had many a good pint in the Rising Sun over the years, but this last winter we started going to the Glyn y Weddw in Llanbedrog for post crag celebrations (Robins will only go to the pub if he has done an FA). It can be a bit like an old people's home at times but the beer is always excellent, and I mean really excellent!

Pantontino

• forum hero
#29 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 22, 2014, 01:02:27 pm
What about the campsite near the tyn y gowed or what ever it's called (on the A5)

Presumably you mean the Tyn y Coed in Capel? Not sure - wrong side of the mountain for me.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#30 Re: North Wales Campsite
May 22, 2014, 01:10:09 pm
but this last winter we started going to the Glyn y Weddw in Llanbedrog for post crag celebrations (Robins will only go to the pub if he has done an FA). It can be a bit like an old people's home at times but the beer is always excellent, and I mean really excellent!

Way the wrong side of town for me, and too far to stagger home...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal