UKBouldering.com

Cheshire (Read 8305 times)

clm

• forum hero
Cheshire
July 09, 2004, 06:43:33 pm
i do like frodsahm, but i popped a tendon at pex.
recommendations of your finest please.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1 Cheshire
July 11, 2004, 10:09:54 pm
nothin anywhere near there is good for man or beast. i wouldn't pass water on any of them areas :shock: Bzzzzz

Gee_dude

#2 Cheshire
July 22, 2004, 01:37:15 pm
How can u say that, i may b a bit biased by living on HELSBY HILL but it offers some great bouldering just below the top.

The bouldering @ the top of the cliff is usually low and easy but there are some really challenging slab routes and many roofs and you can find an overhang here and there but you need to scawer the whole hill to find them! Its good for the beginners.

Also there are the climbs at Helsby if you don't want to do the bouldering.

I also like Frodsham but most of it is too high for bouldering and too low for ropes, but there are some lower crags near the path that you go up 2 get to the crags in the first place.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#3 Cheshire
July 22, 2004, 02:28:01 pm
I did a good problem on the very top tier of Helsby once. Kind of a steep pocketed traverse into a hanging arete thing. Couldn't find anything else of much interest though.

In the centre of Chester there is some pretty good problems on a steep/vertical sandstone wall (not man made) right by the side of the canal. Good landing if I remember rightly.

There is also a secret sandstone crag somewhere near Altrincham that Martin Boysen and Tom Leppert have developed. Tom always teases me about it when he sees me - he says they might reveal it one day. I get the impression it is close to a river, if that helps any local lads.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#4 Cheshire
July 22, 2004, 03:18:26 pm
Pex hill is a most excellent crag with many uber fine micro routes/problems though I have to say I've never much liked the Pisa wall eliminates section.
Frodsham is a great bouldering crag with the Hoopla buttress eliminates being the pick of the bunch-fine problems upto about V10.
Have to agree with Si that there doesn't seem to be much quality bouldering at Helsby although I've heard rumours of some craglet being developed in the woods. The upper level stuff I've played on was all a bit chossy and/or very easy although I'm sure there are some good problems up there.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#5 Cheshire
July 25, 2004, 11:03:16 am
There is also a secret sandstone crag somewhere near Altrincham that Martin Boysen and Tom Leppert have developed. Tom always teases me about it when he sees me - he says they might reveal it one day.

Well thats my neck of the woods... and I suspect they are winding you up :shock: There's a decent sized crag at alderley edge, but its too soft to climb on. The only other exposure is in the Lymm dam area - sounds more likely but the rock is equally soft.

Tim Heaton

• addict
#6 Cheshire
July 25, 2004, 12:14:30 pm
I`ve lived in Altrincham all my life - except time at university - and never heard of such a secret crag. Can`t think where it could be, what other rivers are down there other than the River Bollin which from what I remember is only good for getting blood poisoning. Would be cool if it was true though

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#7 Cheshire
July 27, 2004, 12:00:15 pm
Can vouch for Pex being superb, it's my local  :D
Frodsham is lovely on a sunny afternon, just take some good/big spotters!
As for secret sandstone crags in Cheshire, I have heard rumours of some development, but it's all on very private land and I haven't a clue where it is, so just fuel for the grapevine then!

Gee_dude

#8 Cheshire
July 28, 2004, 03:35:42 pm
There is another place that from the road looks very good for bouldering, i think its called Simmons Hill, but i don't know if its on private land and i have been told that they do clay pigeon shooting nearby so i don't really want to get to the top and mistaken for a clay pigeon!

clm

• forum hero
#9 scousers required urgently
March 24, 2005, 04:25:18 pm
been to pex today and got absolutely spanked.
i really dont understand.  at the bridestones two weeks ago i flashed virtualy everything i tried until jerrys arete (ahem)
at pex today everything above about 5b was a mystery.  usually ended up stood in a break with a shit crimp either reachable on tippy toes or down by my knee wondering what to do next.  the eliminates section was equally bewildering.  problem by the tree on there meant to be 6b - shothole or sumthin - cant touch it. catalepsy - see the standing in a break comment above.  bermuda triangle - as above but scarier.  6a by an arete on the far side - spanked again.
please tell me i am not that shit and pex either has whack grades or a party trick.
need a local to show me the knowledge please.  should make it out some evenings soon once the clocks change cos i work in irlam.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 Cheshire
March 24, 2005, 04:59:36 pm
I think the Pex grades are notoriously hard, plus its a bit of an acquired style. Makes the locals a bit handy though.

dave

#11 Cheshire
March 24, 2005, 07:38:18 pm
stick to the dynos at pex, they're all piss and good fun.

cofe

• forum hero
#12 Cheshire
March 24, 2005, 11:14:20 pm
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
Makes the locals a bit handy though.

scouse being the exception to the rule...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#13 Cheshire
March 29, 2005, 12:04:40 pm
I've been climbing there for a couple of years and only did my first 6a the other week! Definately an acquired style, can take a couple of sessions to feel back in touch with the place after a break of any length!
CLM said; "need a local to show me the knowledge please" PM me lad, we'll sort something out!

Scouse D

• forum hero
#14 Cheshire
March 29, 2005, 01:22:51 pm
Quote from: "cofe"
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
Makes the locals a bit handy though.

scouse being the exception to the rule...

I've been sitting here for 10 minutes trying to think of a witty response but failed...
I have done all the problems Calum is on about numerous times though, so look at me.

Can't really offer any advice, they feel easy when you do em and desperate when you can't.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#15 Cheshire
March 29, 2005, 03:31:36 pm
word, hart arete at pex isthe hardest 6a problem anywhere bar none, I've only managed it once. I've always been a fan of the breck on the wirral, not sure why cos its a complete shit hole but its got some good probs. Have to sort out some evening sessions clm, can't wait for some dirty top out action on hoopla butress.
Have never found any good bouldering on helsby hill mind...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal