UKBouldering.com

Burbage South — Rubbish and Graffiti (Read 4018 times)

Pod

Burbage South — Rubbish and Graffiti
July 18, 2014, 10:33:34 am
As posted recently on the other channel:

I went out for an early morning walk along Burbage South today (Wednesday) and came across what looks like the aftermath of a recent party, just above the Cioch Block.

It's a bloody mess — rubbish left everywhere and graffiti sprayed on boulders.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=242806

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=242807

I collected some of it together and removed a large black bin bag (which they'd actually filled themselves but obviously decided was too much trouble to carry out).

There's plenty more though, both above and below the block, so if anyone is going out there in the next few days please take a bag and do your bit...

Gloves are advisable for some of the more unsavoury items!

Anyone got any idea what to do about the graffiti?

Pete.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Get Moose to go clean it off himself :)

This is an act of extreme cuntishness.

SamT

• forum hero

:(   :wall:

Was in Lawrencefield for the first time in a while and noticed various bits of graffiti on the rocks - a worrying trend  :(

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
There are quite a few "parties" in Lawrencefield of late, I tend to run up through the woods from Grindleford on my Saturday morning run and have come across tents, fires and sound systems twice this year now. I've thought about calling the old bill but then thought am I just being a miserable old bugger. Perhaps not in this instance and I think if I spot a group again I'll do something as I don't want to be a kill joy but trashing what we've got as countryside to enjoy so close to a large city like Sheffield is just moronic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
It's funny how the 'ravers' always deny that there was any damage caused or rubbish left (ignoring the fact that their party disrupts the sleep of hundreds of other people) and yet at virtualyl every rave the place is trashed.

Outdoor raves, simply no excuse.

Pod

The rubbish has apparently been collected.

'Just' the graffiti to sort out now.

Pete.

a dense loner

• forum hero
I've passed a burnt out car, not the same one, on 2 occasions recently in the little burbage sth car park. Latest was last thurs. May not be a good idea to park there. Bastards!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Aren't they usually joyriders driving out of town, then torching the car when there is just a little fuel left?

a dense loner

• forum hero
I've no idea I don't follow them and none of my prints have survived the infernos. I for one wouldn't park nx to a burnt out car but it seems some people lv it

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
Most proper peak district parties or "raves" as you call it (which by the way makes you sounds about a thousand years old!) usually leave the place in a better state than when they arrive, obviously the bit in the middle is disruptive to some but you can't please everyone!

The photos here are just local youth/ joyriders/ general dickheads by the looks of it?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
If thats the case then fair enough but I am not convinced everyone is quite so diligent, and the unavoidable fact is that often the parties take place on "private" land with public access permitted. Lawrencefield unless I am mistaken is National Trust land as an example?

To be honest the bit in the middle doesn't really disrupt me as a) the parties are usually in the middle of the night when I am fast asleep and b) if I do come across them in the morning (as I did one solstice near the Snake Pass) the last few standing were that off their faces stumbling around it was actually a nice bit of morning entertainment  :)

Pod

'The photos here are just local youth/ joyriders/ general dickheads by the looks of it?'

I'd agree with that — just a small, probably local (including Sheffield-Southwest) group of lads and lasses having a bit of fun.

The fact that, to get to the Cioch, you have to walk about ten minutes from either Fox House or the Burbage South parking area (loaded down with beer and burgers!) probably rules out the majority of city-dwelling ravers.

If they'd cleaned up after themselves and hadn't spray-painted the rock I wouldn't have any problem with it, but they didn't/did.

Pete.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Nice knee jerk stupidity from the resident Tory idiot when it's bloody obvious that cans of Fosters and a disposable bbq aren't the hallmarks of an outdoor party (or "rave").

Went to loads of free parties in the Peak when I was younger and I can guarantee anyone spray painting boulders etc would have been lynched.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal