UKBouldering.com

Sheffield Outdoor Economy survey (Read 5078 times)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
Sheffield Outdoor Economy survey
May 14, 2014, 10:36:30 am
Sheffield residents - Help us prove to Sheffield City Council just how important outdoor pursuits are to the city both in terms of health and wealth.

http://www.sircsurveys.com/votingmodule/s180/f/612316/5db3/

Cheers all….

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Sheffield Outdoor Economy survey
May 14, 2014, 10:46:37 am
Which group is conducting the survey?

When/how will the results be presented to the Council?

What difference can the results of the survey make to the way in which the Council fund (preserve or whatever else) outdoor pursuits in and around the city?

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Sheffield Outdoor Economy survey
May 14, 2014, 10:58:10 am
Seconded.
Which body/organisation or person is behind it? Bit unusual there is not mention of anything.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3 Re: Sheffield Outdoor Economy survey
May 14, 2014, 01:22:26 pm
Takes you to a Sheffield Hallamshire Uni webpage after completing.

Takes a bit longer than the stated 2 minutes to complete, but maybe I'm just a slow typer

rich d

• forum hero
#4 Re: Sheffield Outdoor Economy survey
May 14, 2014, 02:12:52 pm

Takes a bit longer than the stated 2 minutes to complete, but maybe I'm just a slow typer
or did you list you provide a list of your favourite boulder problems in the what do you like about the great outdoors bit?
I put gritstone down, but obviously left out the slimestone.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#5 Re: Sheffield Outdoor Economy survey
May 14, 2014, 02:21:44 pm
The survey is the result of me and Jon Dallow wondering one day what a list of Sheffield outdoor legends would look like.  That list evolved from the usual suspects, Steve McClure to Steve Peat, into a kind of "This is what outdoor pursuits contributes to Sheffield" crib sheet. Jon D then began to make influential members of the council aware of our initial findings and all of a sudden, it developed a head of steam.  Much of the interest was probably directly related to the fact that we managed to get turnover figures from a number of businesses that are directly or indirectly related to outdoor pursuits - just shy of £40m for 13 firms.  Now SCC have commissioned s study of which this survey forms a part.  Your question as to what is to be gained from greater recognition of the part adventure sports play in the social and economic life of Sheffield is a beaut.  I think that the answer is that there is much for Sheffield to gain from being recognised as the Outdoor Capital of the UK in terms of greater tourism and national recognition.  Equally, if they realise we're all over the city like rash, they might be prepared to invest more heavily in the sector - there's approx 2000ha of green space in Sheff that could form the basis for bike trails, more boulders etc etc.  Honestly, I think there are lots of beneficial economic and health benefits that could accrue from this, but the first thing is to make SCC wake up to what is going on in their midst!

Hope that makes some kind of sense.  Sorry that isn't all made plain on the survey site.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#6 Re: Sheffield Outdoor Economy survey
May 14, 2014, 02:29:11 pm
did that include any consideration for the Sheff based Rope Access people/businesses ?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Sheffield Outdoor Economy survey
May 14, 2014, 02:49:48 pm
Thanks for the fuller explanation John, it sounds worthwhile so I'll spend the time completing the survey and will forward to others with your explanation.

If there's a way of including this information at the start of the survey I think it would be beneficial.

rich d

• forum hero
#8 Re: Sheffield Outdoor Economy survey
May 14, 2014, 02:52:15 pm
not exclusive to living in Sheffield either, so worth doing if you use the peak.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#9 Re: Sheffield Outdoor Economy survey
May 14, 2014, 02:58:23 pm
did that include any consideration for the Sheff based Rope Access people/businesses ?

Yes, I sent them a list of every single outdoor related company that I knew of, guides, instructors, access companies. I even told them that Sheffield was so good it attracted cockney w*nkers by the boat load  :tease:

(Not aimed at you obviously lagers)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
John, legend behaviour.

I can see the survey spreading accros social media.... Should get a fair few respondents.

I share your view that this can only be beneficial to the spectrum of outdoor activity loving people that either use the peak or live in south Yorkshire.

Maybe you should break your thumb more often, your productivity is up!!!

Seriously, heal fast mate.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive

Sure did!  Only a sample, including Eurosafe, in the original effort, but that should fleshed out in this version….

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive

Maybe you should break your thumb more often, your productivity is up!!!

Seriously, heal fast mate.

Damn! You noticed Doc!  Normally mate, sun's out, I'm out!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Yes, I sent them a list of every single outdoor related company that I knew of, guides, instructors, access companies. I even told them that Sheffield was so good it attracted cockney w*nkers by the boat load  :tease:

Cupboard has moved back to London so I'm not sure what your point is Graeme.

Seriously, that's a good point lagers. The amount of cash that's being brought into the city and spent here on property, local businesses, and coffee just from my rope access client list is enormous.

People come here to climb and end up funneling oil money into the city.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive

Cupboard has moved back to London so I'm not sure what your point is Graeme.

Seriously, that's a good point lagers. The amount of cash that's being brought into the city and spent here on property, local businesses, and coffee just from my rope access client list is enormous.

People come here to climb and end up funneling oil money into the city.
Yeah, I can read between the lines Jas - he's an arse that Alderson geezer and no mistake   :tease:

However any completely anonymous data you can give us on the rope access sector would be absolute gold dust to the study.  Any chance?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yeah no problem mate. I'll fill the survey in when I've got time and if you need any other info just let me know.

Mind, I reckon Johnny Brown or Bonjoy will have a better idea of the numbers of RA workers in the area. I only deal with a small proportion but still know the benefit to the economy of the city is large.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
SIRC = Sport Industry Research Centre at Hallam Uni
http://www.shu.ac.uk/research/sirc/

Looks like SCC have commissioned SHU to carry it out. Probably should have branded this SCC or SHU, although it looks like a 5 minute job, pretty badly done.

Completed it anyway.

Dolly

• forum hero

Looks like SCC have commissioned SHU to carry it out. Probably should have branded this SCC or SHU, although it looks like a 5 minute job, pretty badly done.

Completed it anyway.
I've been trying to get into them for ages to sort out their branding after we did one successful (branded) project for them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal