UKBouldering.com

Knee injury saga (Read 2710 times)

benno

• menacing presence
Knee injury saga
April 22, 2014, 04:02:42 pm
So, just before Christmas last year I tweaked my knee somehow. I don't remember a specific traumatic event, but it became very sore and inflexible, to the point where I was unable to sit cross-legged on the floor.

Putting my left ankle on my knee whilst sat on a chair would elicit some pretty severe pain in the back and lateral side of my knee, but it wasn't a 'point' pain, just generally my whole knee hurt. Also, pulling on heels and rocking over anything, or worst of all, rocking onto a heel caused SERIOUS discomfort and I had to just avoid anything that involved anything of the sort.

It wasn't really improving, but in the last couple of weeks it's got MUCH better since I've started doing some concerted stretching for my piriformis/general external hip rotation. The physio's and my current best theory as to what's wrong is an initial tweak of the lateral tendons for my hamstring and calf that's since been unable to heal due to too much torque being applied from my laughably inflexible hip. Really pleased to finally be seeing some progress, though :)

I know I'm just adding another ill-informed voice to the sea of vague internet advice about knee injuries, but perhaps improving your hip flexibility is worth a go if you've got niggles that aren't going away!

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Knee injury saga
October 10, 2017, 10:48:35 am
Hello benno, if you're still around! Did you also do any knee-based stretches for this or just piriformis? Ta!

benno

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Knee injury saga
October 26, 2017, 12:29:13 pm
I am still here, for my sins. I just did piriformis/hip stuff targeted at improving my passive external rotation and was careful to avoid anything that made my knee hurt, which was really difficult initially. I had to build up really slowly, basically just doing this (complete with gormless facial expression):

I've since started doing yoga and the active flexibility that I've gained is helping too, I think. The muscles involved (gluteus medius? some other bits too, no doubt) were very weak and difficult to activate before.

andy_e

• forum hero
#3 Re: Knee injury saga
February 22, 2018, 09:35:18 am
Whoops, only just come across this (whilst searching for knee problem solutions... Common theme?)

Thanks for this, I've been doing these pigeony piriformis stretches daily for a week now to help my lower back, good to know it will also help my knee too in the long term!

erm, sam

• forum hero
#4 Re: Knee injury saga
February 22, 2018, 04:28:21 pm
I find the pigeon type stretches really make my knees sore. So who knows!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal