UKBouldering.com

Dogs at Crags (Read 75873 times)

gme

• forum hero
#225 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 01:24:32 pm
And i really do think there is no comparison to the environmental impact of them chasing a few ducks

At this time of year some ducks are likely to be nesting or have dependent young, so a dog could easily wipe out the next generation.  Disturbance by humans, while unwelcome, isn't going have such a direct affect.
Thats the problem with peoples idea of the environment, its all about the fluffy little critters. If a dog was to catch a duck (that rarely happens) and wipe out a generation the impact is absolutely minimal and balance would be restored in a matter of years. But its very visual.
Humans driving out there. going down the dale, polluting the river via the fields or sewage works (all of Buxtons sewage goes in the river, i wouldn't drink it), the other pollution linked to the production of all the climbing gear we use etc etc. has a million times more effect than anything a dog can do.

And cars are the biggest killer of wildlife in the UK by a long long way.

Of course the world faces bigger issues than ducks being mauled by a dog at a crag: climate change, war in the Middle East, starvation, grotesque inequality, the various types of pollution you mention. But they are all complex problems which will require complex ways of managing them. If there is a dog which is causing disruption to wildlife at a crag this has a very simple solution: put it on a lead. Nothing else is okay.
I was being factious as the environmental slant was used by the original poster when it clearly does not come into this argument. The dog sounds like it was just having fun and no damage other than a bit of mud and water was splashed on some kit that is generally designed to survive a bit of mud and water. To describe it as some kind of environmental issue was a joke, hence my joke of an answer.

One persons annoying dog is anothers friendly pooch having a good time. People just dont seem to have any tolerance these days.

I personally dislike power screaming, babys at crags, large crowds of people, slackliners, permadraws, bongo drums, clip sticks and knee pads and find them all far more annoying than a dog running about chasing ducks. And as for those fucking fingerboards hanging in trees they really do spoil my day. But i tolerate them as i do a dog that shakes itself next to me and gets me and my rope/pad wet.

SamT

• forum hero
#226 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 01:39:56 pm
The mallards are the least of the wildlife concerns.

its the Grey wagtails that were feeding there prior to arrival of dog, the river dippers, king fishers, cray fish, water voles.  The type of wildlife that can get spooked by carnivorous predators charging about  and abandon nests etc.

To argue that its doing less damage than humans, as an excuse for its behaviour  is just laughable. 
Anyway, gavs just trolling.

I posted this in the hope someones out there reading it and the message might just filter through that having out of control dogs careering about at the crag, particularly in sensitive areas such as the cornice is not really cricket and they might think twice next time they're out.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#227 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 01:51:43 pm
I personally dislike power screaming, babys at crags, large crowds of people, slackliners, permadraws, bongo drums, clip sticks and knee pads and find them all far more annoying than a dog running about chasing ducks. And as for those fucking fingerboards hanging in trees they really do spoil my day. But i tolerate them as i do a dog that shakes itself next to me and gets me and my rope/pad wet.

That is some top grumping sir  ;D >:(

gme

• forum hero
#228 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 02:12:51 pm

Anyway, gavs just trolling.

Fair cop. Long boring train journey so needed some entertainment. Nothing we or dogs do should impact on others enjoyment but i do think climbers seem a very intolerant entitled bunch.

If anyone is ever annoyed by my dog please tell me and i will sort it out, she does however like chasing rabbits and i dont have an issue with it so wont stop her.

And if you want a story about a badly behaved dog just last week mine ran into the middle of family group, who were in the process of having a very emotional memorial to their recently departed grandma, and stole the cake they had made for the occasion. I berated the dog and apologised, and luckily they saw the funny side of it.
To be fair to the dog they were on the main path she walks along every day, the cake was open on a plate on a rug and did look very tasty.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#229 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 02:16:05 pm
To be honest, I'm with Gav on this. I find out of control bongo hippies at crags far more annoying and detrimental to the environment than a few over excitable hounds.

I do of course appreciate the need to curtail a dog's chase or prey drive...

Teaboy

• forum hero
#230 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 02:54:26 pm
Yes but no one is making the case for bongos at the crag, Gav is trying to make a case for an owner allowing it's dig to behave in a. Anti social manner that pisses off other users and potentially the land owners/managers.

Monolith

• forum hero
#231 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 03:12:38 pm
I'll get the 'bongo hippies at crags' thread started then.  ;)

In my opinion, climbers are a thousand times more irritating and detrimental to crags than dogs. How is a power scream any different to a bark?  How many dogs park inconsiderately? How many dogs leave tick marks everywhere? How many dogs have the ability to pick up their own shits? etc. etc.

It goes without saying for me that if a dog doesn't have solid recall and/or has a high prey drive or chase instinct, it should be managed by use of a static lead. I have a Border Collie that is insanely intelligent, loves every person under the sun but is highly reactive on lead and will chase squirrels and birds etc. Thus she is managed on lead.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#232 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 03:16:09 pm
This is it though, isn't it? Dogs are more important than people. If a dog's just having fun tear-arsing round eating people's lunch and killing a few ducks then that's fine, but when I go round the crag shitting in people's rope bags and barking every two seconds then somehow that's not OK? It's political correctness gone mad.

Monolith

• forum hero
#233 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 03:25:11 pm
 :lol: If a dog eats your lunch then you're a dork for leaving your lunch out in the open!

abarro81

• forum hero
#234 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 03:34:01 pm
:lol: If a dog eats your lunch then you're a dork for leaving your lunch out in the open!

Now I remember why dogs at crags piss me off. I shouldn't have to lock my lunch away so that someone's badly behaved dog doesn't steal it. Lunch being stolen by a seagull is funny, lunch being stolen by someone's dog make me want to throw all that person's kit in the river or key their car (neither of which are a big deal, really, but both of which would piss the affected person off)

Monolith

• forum hero
#235 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 03:39:00 pm
I hadn't realised that lunch theft was such a prominent issue but quite why people can't keep their possessions in their bags is beyond me. Strewn gear across crags is another one on the slate against climbers.

Yours,

Voice for dogs  :-*

petejh

• forum hero
#236 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 03:59:01 pm
This reminds me of the time last year walking along a sunny beach with my ex’s massive old english sheepdog bounding joyfully along ahead of me. It bounded joyfully over to a small child who was proudly in the final stages of his impressive sandcastle. Old English ‘butley’ squatted his big woolly arse over the middle of the sandcastle and curled out the biggest, runniest shit ever.. right in front of the boy sitting next to the castle.. effectively destroying it in a flood of brown slurry. The boy was traumatised and starting wailing and crying and ran off to his parents. Parents weren’t impressed with me and my out of control monster destroying their kid’s proud creation and basically ruining his whole day at the seaside. The poor kid!
I felt awful and embarrassed, but it was also a little bit funny as fuck to watch it all happen in front of my eyes but totally beyond my control.
Bet that kid hates dogs forever more!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 04:09:23 pm by petejh »

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#237 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 03:59:53 pm
UKC-esque, this thread!

I'll happily contribute to an anti bongo-hippy one though!

gme

• forum hero
#238 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 04:16:34 pm

Now I remember why dogs at crags piss me off. I shouldn't have to lock my lunch away so that someone's badly behaved dog doesn't steal it. Lunch being stolen by a seagull is funny, lunch being stolen by someone's dog make me want to throw all that person's kit in the river or key their car (neither of which are a big deal, really, but both of which would piss the affected person off)
Luckily for you dogs don’t like dried seeds and rice cakes.
Although the adoption of the keto diet among sports climbers makes for much more dog friendly snacks to steal.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#239 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 04:19:11 pm
I've seen dogs go into bags to get to lunches before. When you're halfway up a route there's not a lot you can do about it.

Honestly, I quite like a nice happy dog that's just chilling out or being friendly. It's when they shit and it's not picked up, or they run round uncontrollably or bark like crazy etc that they become a pain.

gme

• forum hero
#240 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 04:34:52 pm
It's when they shit and it's not picked up,
Again humans are worse offenders for this at crags.
My dog loves rolling in it which makes for a pleasent drive home.

SamT

• forum hero
#241 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 04:57:06 pm

Mentally thinking of the times I've stood in human shit .. anywhere...... erm struggling

Now,

Number of times stood in dog shit....... 1,2,3,4...10...50...I've lost count.

Every single week my lads come home from orienteering with dog shit on their shoes...and more often than not, me too from just hanging around while they go off on a run.

Makes for an unpleasant drive home.

SamT

• forum hero
#242 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 05:01:40 pm

(I know - shit happens).

gme

• forum hero
#243 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 05:06:35 pm

Mentally thinking of the times I've stood in human shit .. anywhere...... erm struggling

Now,

Number of times stood in dog shit....... 1,2,3,4...10...50...I've lost count.

Every single week my lads come home from orienteering with dog shit on their shoes...and more often than not, me too from just hanging around while they go off on a run.

Makes for an unpleasant drive home.
Was thinking of crags not general places.
It’s the fucking cows up here that don’t clean up after themselves and don’t get me started on the sheep.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#244 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 05:13:41 pm

And if you want a story about a badly behaved dog just last week mine ran into the middle of family group, who were in the process of having a very emotional memorial to their recently departed grandma, and stole the cake they had made for the occasion. I berated the dog and apologised, and luckily they saw the funny side of it.
To be fair to the dog they were on the main path she walks along every day, the cake was open on a plate on a rug and did look very tasty.

Great story.

I’ve been lax at times as an owner including leaving my dog at the crag, twice.

One embarrassing situation was when I was out for a run coming back along Fulwood road. I had Pip with me on a leash tied to my waist. Ahead on the pavement were two students- one female and one male. Therefore I went down onto the road to pass them. Pip , instead of following me, decided to dart between the two students upending the girl with the lead. I managed to catch her by the  shoulders and just keep her off the pavement although I was struggling to avert my head from her stubbing a cigarette out on my cheek.

Her legs were akimbo in the air on the dogs back. It was all a bit of a tangle and a struggle to extricate from. The boy was laughing his head off, I was going “I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry” and the girl was shouting at the boy “Don’t look up my skirt, don’t look up my skirt!”

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:31:18 pm by shark »

Paul B

• forum hero
#245 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 06:12:58 pm
We cant usually have Nina off as being a Greyhound, she couldn't give a flying f*ck what I ask her to do if there's anything vaguely more interesting / to her liking / she just doesn't agree.

However, at Shipwreck Cove, there are plenty of gates on the access path to prevent her default "return to home" behaviour so we could have her off. She was fairly well behaved and just went to sleep in the middle of the cove. When it came time to leave I thought we'd just pack up and walk off and then at some distance the dog would sprint to catch up (this is now a very rare sight), but she didn't. She just laid there looking sorry for herself until I walked back, attached the lead and persuaded her (shoving!) to move.

Last year at Kilnsey I had a project at the opposite end of the crag to Nat and when we were each getting towards RP no. 3 of the day the dog wouldn't budge and we had to ask another forum member to keep an eye on her at the South buttress. At ~28kg and with a fair bit of mass at the back end, when she doesn't want to be moved it's bloody hard work.

She's fantastically low maintenance but sometimes I do wish she'd actually do something from time to time (she's scared of the moon / hot air-balloons etc.).

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#246 Re: Dogs at Crags
June 29, 2018, 08:35:06 pm
She's fantastically low maintenance but sometimes I do wish she'd actually do something from time to time (she's scared of the moon / hot air-balloons etc.).

Like my Grandads old dog, a Whippet / Bedlington Terrier cross, he got to go rabbiting.  He tried to give her away as a puppy when she refused to go outside in the rain; a snowy winter would see her refusing to go outside for weeks at time (and showing admirable bowel control).  Luckily my Grandad saw sense and grew to accept her lack of rabbiting expertise as a good trade for being incredibly affectionate and low-maintenance (and he had ferrets for rabbiting anyway!).

... I still get annoyed by dogs pestering me, and dog owners for not cleaning up their shit, mind.

seankenny

• forum hero
#247 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 05, 2023, 08:00:02 pm
Dogs at crags, US-states-with-decriminalised-cannabis version:
https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/123722784/high-dogs-from-thc-laced-human-poop

:'(

dunnyg

• forum hero
#248 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 05, 2023, 08:42:16 pm
Ruff

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal