UKBouldering.com

Dogs at Crags (Read 75774 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Dogs at Crags
April 22, 2014, 03:07:24 pm
Probably preaching to the choir here but it doesn't harm to repeat.

1. Control your dog.  Having a large aggressively barking dog running up to people is generally not welcomed. If you can't control it, don't take it to the crag.

2. Having a dog roaming around a crag like Bowdon Doors without any form of control at the height of the lambing season is asking to cause problems with the land owner.

3. Blaming the person walking on the foot path for the dog's aggression 'because she's not used to people carrying bouldering mats' and 'she's just being friendly' is (no, it really is) good reason to be given a frank debrief, in fact if I hadn't been giving our son a piggy back I would have expressed myself more freely.

rant over.

Other than that, a very pleasant morning was had by all.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#1 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 22, 2014, 04:16:18 pm
 :agree:

I'm surprised you didn't get 'oooh, he's never done that before...'

Dogs are unpredictable. Keep them on a lead or at home. :worms:

Boredboy

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 22, 2014, 04:28:50 pm
As long as the dog is friendly and reasonably well behaved then that's cool by me. I know some climbers who complain about dogs being at the crag e.g. they poo everywhere. Then the climbers take themselves off for a dump in the bushes. Who is there to look after them. Dog's; if your human can't behave it's self then leave it at home or at least tie it to a tree.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 22, 2014, 05:06:06 pm
Seen the BMC vid from about a year ago Sloper? Worth googling.. Some good work from them....

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#4 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 22, 2014, 05:21:19 pm
He'll only lick you to death.

andy popp

• forum hero
#5 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 22, 2014, 05:30:02 pm
I was bitten by a dog in an unprovoked attack at Burbage south about three years ago and have definitely felt more nervous around dogs since.  The owner,  not obviously a climber but wearing a SHAFF t-shirt, ran up several minutes later.  I had my daughter with me and was still fending the thing off with my pad. I've noticed several times since that many dogs react badly to the approach of a pad wearing figure and I always take mine off now,  but it was already on the floor when I was attacked.  I grew up around dogs and have always liked them but this has been somewhat spoilt and I'd much rather not be around them at the crag.

Sloper

• forum hero
#6 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 22, 2014, 05:39:56 pm
As long as the dog is friendly and reasonably well behaved then that's cool by me. I know some climbers who complain about dogs being at the crag e.g. they poo everywhere. Then the climbers take themselves off for a dump in the bushes. Who is there to look after them. Dog's; if your human can't behave it's self then leave it at home or at least tie it to a tree.

I don't object to all dogs at the crag but there are situations where it's totally out of order, i.e. at Bamford, (where there's a sign sayign 'no dogs') Slipstones etc and others where a modicum of common sense would dictate fido shouldn't be there, i.e. at a crag when there's a concessionary access and the farmer has a field full of lambs.

As for dogs being reasonably friendly not everyone's perception of what 'reasonably friendly' is the same. Lots of people are scared of dogs for good reason.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 22, 2014, 09:20:56 pm
You Brits have no idea how much worse the dog issue can get here in North America (maybe fractionally better in Canada than in the US as you can be reasonably confident the self-righteous owners are not armed).

However I will not comment further beyond noting that Shark's dog Pip is thoroughly charming ...
Just returned from a week in the Vancouver area and couldn't believe the number of dogs. everywhere. I even stumbled across what looked like the pet district which was full of vets, shops for doggy toys and the like. nuts.

Boredboy

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 22, 2014, 09:54:52 pm

I don't object to all dogs at the crag but there are situations where it's totally out of order, i.e. at Bamford, (where there's a sign sayign 'no dogs') Slipstones etc and others where a modicum of common sense would dictate fido shouldn't be there, i.e. at a crag when there's a concessionary access and the farmer has a field full of lambs.

As for dogs being reasonably friendly not everyone's perception of what 'reasonably friendly' is the same. Lots of people are scared of dogs for good reason.

Sure. I agree with you. I said 'friendly' and reasonably well behaved, not reasonably friendly which wouldn't have made sense.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#9 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 22, 2014, 10:15:14 pm
Owning the dumbest, most energetic, Golden Retriever that has ever lived (have you seen the movie "Up"? ), it is always a bit of a dilemma.
She just does everything at full pelt and this has occasionally resulted in flying children (read "skittles").
So we usually split the day between walking/playing with the dog and climbing. When climbing, she gets clipped to a spike with shade and water.
It's not quantum theory.

It is intensely embarrassing when she jumps up at strangers, particularly those scared of dogs, but she just seems drawn to some people; as if they were old friends. Whilst totally ignoring others.

So, quite often she just gets left at home.

There are times to take the dog for walk, or have a family lunacy day that involves a bit of climbing and there are times to admit where your focus is going to be and let K-9 take a break.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 12:48:44 pm
I've had dogs rummage through my sac whilst belaying, walk all over my pad with muddy paws and lay down on my pad underneath me whilst I'm climbing.

I am not a huge dog fan but appreciate other people's desire to spend the day with their k9 companion and their right to do so out in the countryside. I would have thought a little respect for others would be common sense but some dog owners don't seem to realise that not everyone loves dogs as much as they do.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#11 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 01:02:08 pm
The one time I met andy popp at the crag:

I like dogs, I like dogs at the crag, and I prefer dogs that will come over for a stroke and tread on my bag and slobber on me rather than dogs that are all timid and standoffish (I'd quite like to meet OMM's retriever!). But obviously I agree that owners should keep them under good control as regards any potential aggression, food theft, etc.

chris j

• forum abuser
#12 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 01:15:58 pm
When climbing, she gets clipped to a spike with shade and water.

Good man, wish more owners would do the same. It gets wearing extracting someone else's beast from your rucsac and lunch to get no more response from the owner than an Aww bless, isn't he sweet....

SamT

• forum hero
#13 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 02:13:02 pm

had a evening at Max buttress totally ruined last year by two dogs (different owners) tearing round all over the place. running over ropes, sniffing in sacs, jumping up at us whilst belaying, constantly dropping sticks at our feet etc etc.  Owners seemed a bit oblivious despite mutterings.  Once the owners took the hint, their idea to occupy the dogs, chuck a stick in the river to fetch. fecking genius - now we had two wet dogs charging about.  The owners packed up and moved on when my mate chased one dog and gave it a good kick in the bootocks.  Didn't come near us again though.

I've nothing against the dogs themselves, they're just animals doing what they do. Its the owners I take umbridge with, well, the ones that think its all a bit jovial when pooch jumps up with his slobber and muddy paws, and as for the ones who put the poo in a little bag and leave it in the heather at the side of the path over to millstone or better still, hanging proudly on a bit of barb wire somewhere.  They want the stuff ramming in their faces.

[/nazi dog hater rant]

Sloper

• forum hero
#14 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 02:27:37 pm
What would happen if a dog ate a bar of laxative chocolate? I wouldn't want to cause lasting harm to the dog, but exploding canine arse gravy in the owners car might be an education for the owner.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 03:01:45 pm
exploding canine arse gravy

Think I saw them at Leeds festival in 2005.

ardeer

• player
#16 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 03:15:17 pm
 :badidea:
What would happen if a dog ate a bar of laxative chocolate? I wouldn't want to cause lasting harm to the dog, but exploding canine arse gravy in the owners car might be an education for the owner.

Seeing as chocolate is considered toxic to dogs, i think adding laxatives to the mix might result in some vets bills if, dont take it out on the dog! its is always the owners fault and i say that as a mutt owner.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#17 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 04:28:42 pm

[/quote]

its is always the owners fault and i say that as a mutt owner.
[/quote]

I've got to agree here. The title of the thread should be 'dog OWNERS at the crag'. A well behaved dog that is suitable to the owner's lifestyle is a pleasure to be around.

Sloper

• forum hero
#18 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 04:45:17 pm
If the dog owner's dog wasn't at the crag then the issue wouldn't arise.

Part of the problem is that a significant proportion of dog owners think that their mutt's behaviour is acceptable when a lot of other people find it objectionable.

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 05:13:55 pm
exploding canine arse gravy

Think I saw them at Leeds festival in 2005.

They were shit then too.. ;)

ardeer

• player
#20 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 06:06:08 pm
"Part of the problem is that a significant proportion of dog owners think that their mutt's behaviour is acceptable when a lot of other people find it objectionable."

is there a similar thread relating to children?

Sloper

• forum hero
#21 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 06:13:28 pm
"Part of the problem is that a significant proportion of dog owners think that their mutt's behaviour is acceptable when a lot of other people find it objectionable."

is there a similar thread relating to children?

Because a dog and a child are an absolute equivalent. 

Moron.

ardeer

• player
#22 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 06:18:12 pm
Because a dog and a child are an absolute equivalent. 

Moron.

it wasnt an entirely serious comment but thanks.

Sloper

• forum hero
#23 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 06:23:26 pm
O.k. I'll down grade the insult to semi-moron.

ardeer

• player
#24 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 23, 2014, 06:31:53 pm
well thats okay then. to get the thread back on a serious note, im amazed people dont follow the sensible rules, basically because having your dog under control is less hassle than having them running about and causing people problems, a clear seperation between walking the dog and climbing should be drawn as i for one have never successfully done both at the same time and as for the lambing thing, if you love your dog, remember dogs love sheep and so do farmers (fnar fnar) a farmer has a perfect legal right to shoot a dog thats worrying live stock, and nobody wants fido in the sights... apart maybe from sloper...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal