UKBouldering.com

DIY Wooden holds (Read 2943 times)

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
DIY Wooden holds
July 28, 2015, 12:56:56 pm
I'm hoping to make some wooden holds , crimps and pockets for my mates home board . Does anyone know what tool is best for the job? Anyone got some experience of making some themselves? Only looking for something relatively cheap so nothing industrial
Cheers

dave

#1 Re: DIY Wooden holds
July 28, 2015, 04:54:35 pm
Saw.

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#2 Re: DIY Wooden holds
July 28, 2015, 05:06:11 pm
was thinking more to shape the holds, pockets and the such. have done with sand paper before but isnt really precise enough for smaller holds.

kelvin

• forum hero
#3 Re: DIY Wooden holds
July 28, 2015, 05:10:19 pm
Chisels.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4 Re: DIY Wooden holds
July 28, 2015, 06:04:02 pm

was thinking more to shape the holds, pockets and the such. have done with sand paper before but isnt really precise enough for smaller holds.

Well, yes of course, except the tool for the job is a router.
This, however, is neither cheap nor easy to use (initially).
 The alternative is a suite if tools including those mentioned above; but primarily a hammer/mallet and chisel.

A lot can be achieved with a circular saw and some imagination.
Even more with a chop saw.

Simple 3d contoured holds can be made by laminating up thin ply layers, a little filler (car body), sand paper and elbow grease.
This is a good way of producing symmetrical pairs.

Still, our most popular home-made holds are simply chopped "mop-stick" (a dowel with a flattened edge), or 3"x2" cut at varying angles on the table saw and rounded with a rasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#5 Re: DIY Wooden holds
July 28, 2015, 06:04:53 pm
CNC machine ::)

Try use hard wood, especially if your are going to be standing on them. I tend to cut them to a rough shape  with either a band saw or a jigsaw, then sand them down with a circular sander!

Pockets, router them out then sand them down with sand paper! Or you could use a drill? At least then you will be well trained to climb on UK sport  :2thumbsup:

cha1n

• forum hero
#6 Re: DIY Wooden holds
July 28, 2015, 10:22:46 pm
I once got a long length of 1"x1" (could have been 2x2) and just used a plane to create an incut on one side and and sanded it for comfort then chopped the length up into 4 finger sized blocks. Hold in a middle for a bolt. Sorted.

For pockets you can just use a drill and go all the way through but you'll have to experiment with the angle of the hole depending on the angle of the board. Recommend doing a few test holds initially to make sure they'll be useable before committing to doing a lot of them.

I know people say to use hard wood but we just used cheap pine and they were mostly fine. If they didn't split whilst drilling we never had one break on the board but we weren't standing on them.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#7 Re: DIY Wooden holds
July 29, 2015, 12:11:12 am
I championed the angle grinder approach recently in this thread: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,25998.msg491988.html#msg491988
obviously wouldn't help you much with pockets though...

Pako

• addict
#8 Re: DIY Wooden holds
July 29, 2015, 01:26:02 am
Using wooden dowel or a rake/broom handle, and cutting it into strips makes fantastic incuts that get harder to use on steeper terrain. Perfect holds tbh

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal