UKBouldering.com

Chromecast (Read 24086 times)

Durbs

• forum hero
#50 Re: Chromecast
December 15, 2015, 10:29:08 am
I upgraded from a C1 to a C2, for no real reason other than occasionally (once a week?) it would struggle to play music consistently.

The new one has been flawless. not just with music, but YouTube, Plex (Better than the Samsung App on the Blu-ray player) and others.
They've added Spotify support too which may be of interest to people (I actually switched from Spotify to Google Play Music for this reason a few years back).

Compared to the Amazon Firestick - the main driving force will essentially be whether you use Amazon Prime or not? Amazon have decided not to support Chromecast for their instant video, so if you use this, it's a no-brainer. Netflix et al work fine on both.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#51 Re: Chromecast
December 15, 2015, 10:57:05 am
My Chromecast audio has been working well with Spotify, seems to be pretty stable. Spotify are a bit naughty and for some reason the free version works with Chromecast but not Chromecast Audio for which you need the premium version.

After using it for a while I'm not massively impressed with the sound quality, I've set it on the 'hi-fi' setting but still get quite bad distortion at medium volumes, I've not tried swapping cables/inputs etc, but don't have a problem with the same ones when using iPods etc.

Not that it particularly matters for having fun with Spotify at a party, but with less background noise it is a bit disappointing.

tomtom

• forum hero
#52 Re: Chromecast
December 15, 2015, 12:38:28 pm

Compared to the Amazon Firestick - the main driving force will essentially be whether you use Amazon Prime or not? Amazon have decided not to support Chromecast for their instant video, so if you use this, it's a no-brainer. Netflix et al work fine on both.

I'm very impressed with MrsTT's firestick... works really well - slick I would describe it as. And it has its own remote/doesnt need a phone which seemed to be the crappy going wrong part of chromecast..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#53 Re: Chromecast
December 15, 2015, 12:48:45 pm
And it has its own remote/doesnt need a phone which seemed to be the crappy going wrong part of chromecast..

Perhaps its the crappy iOS on your phone(s) since Android works no problem.  :jab: :P

Paul B

• forum hero
#54 Re: Chromecast
December 15, 2015, 03:56:28 pm
My Chromecast audio has been working well with Spotify, seems to be pretty stable. Spotify are a bit naughty and for some reason the free version works with Chromecast but not Chromecast Audio for which you need the premium version.

After using it for a while I'm not massively impressed with the sound quality, I've set it on the 'hi-fi' setting but still get quite bad distortion at medium volumes, I've not tried swapping cables/inputs etc, but don't have a problem with the same ones when using iPods etc.

I didn't realise it had different settings! It'll be interesting to see how the one I've bought for my Dad performs with his much better stereo equipment. Both of my CCs (v1 and audio) have been fantastic and I recently bought a nexus 9 which came with a free v1 (refurb).

Spotify - I think they always try it on and then see sense in that nobody will pay extra for that (plus with no T Swift who bothers these days anyway  :-* ).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#57 Re: Chromecast
November 25, 2016, 10:39:34 am
Nice. Purchase complete, many thanks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#58 Re: Chromecast
December 23, 2016, 11:05:42 am

Is there any workaround to get Amazon Prime from an iPad Air to a TV using a chromecast? Loads of "how to" guides and links to apps, but not managed to get it to work.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#59 Re: Chromecast
December 23, 2016, 11:44:22 am
I'm in exactly the same boat. I await help with baited breath!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#60 Re: Chromecast
December 23, 2016, 11:54:59 am
I don't have a Prime account, nor any Apple devices so can't offer any real insight.

You're likely going to be playing cat and mouse here because Amazon don't want you using their streaming outside of their ecosystem, so whatever solution you might find on t'web will likely get blocked in the not too distant future.

One possible option you might have is casting from the Chrome browser as described here.

Another possible solution is the LocalCast app which has the broadest, most comprehensive support for streaming I've seen (although I don't spend hours trawling around trying lots of alternatives, it was one of the first apps I used after initially getting a Chromecast and its improved gradually over time).  It supports casting to Amazon Fire (I realise this isn't what you want to do, but suggests Prime is supported) and allows you to cast from "Other Apps" so you might find that it allows you a workaround.

If neither of those work I guess you can still cast from a desktop browser, but that doesn't really solve what you are trying to achieve.

Good luck and report back.

Paul B

• forum hero
#61 Re: Chromecast
December 23, 2016, 12:24:41 pm
I'm in exactly the same boat. I await help with baited breath!

No idea but Peewee happily casted prime video to Chromecast from an Android app; he said it required the installation of Underground (?) first.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#62 Re: Chromecast
December 28, 2016, 07:33:09 am
Got a firestick with extra apps from brother in law for Xmas, so problem avoided I guess

Paul B

• forum hero
#63 Re: Chromecast
February 17, 2022, 05:00:05 pm
Has anyone on UKB upgraded to the latest generation of Chromecasts?

I was wondering if it's possible to watch LV TV through them (but streaming). I tried (and failed) last night to cast All4 live. The reason I'm asking is reception here is woeful and there's no satellite connection upstairs; I can't see rectifying that being cheaper than a CC.

IanP

• forum abuser
#64 Re: Chromecast
February 17, 2022, 06:38:18 pm
Has anyone on UKB upgraded to the latest generation of Chromecasts?

I was wondering if it's possible to watch LV TV through them (but streaming). I tried (and failed) last night to cast All4 live. The reason I'm asking is reception here is woeful and there's no satellite connection upstairs; I can't see rectifying that being cheaper than a CC.

Think it's the TV service app which impacts whether you can cast.  I have casted BBC live via Iplayer with no problem, just checked now and ITVHub and All4 don't appear to allow casting of live shows , strangely My5 does (not that I imagine you would have too much need for that!).  Casting from a Google Pixel 5 to <12 month old Chromecast.

Paul B

• forum hero
#65 Re: Chromecast
February 17, 2022, 09:23:06 pm
Thanks for going to the effort. I think you can side load apps.

Paul B

• forum hero
#66 Re: Chromecast
July 05, 2022, 12:15:04 pm
I finally cracked and bought a new Chromecast with Google TV after being unable to watch the last 5 minutes of a long movie. I should've done this much sooner as the remote, GTV interface and playback is markedly better.

They're currently discounted directly from Google at £40 vs. £60:
https://store.google.com/gb/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-GB&pli=1

I replaced one and a week later replaced the second. I haven't yet gone to the effort of sideloading any apps but it can be done (although it's a little involved).

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#67 Re: Chromecast
July 05, 2022, 01:37:08 pm
I've got a Chromecast which is more than 5 years old, I haven't really had any issues with it, still seems to work fine and stream all 4, ITV player, Netflix or iPlayer. Are the new ones noticeably better in some way?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#68 Re: Chromecast
July 05, 2022, 01:46:20 pm
asking the same! TBH we have barely used ours since we got a firestick.

Paul B

• forum hero
#69 Re: Chromecast
July 05, 2022, 02:00:48 pm
I've got a Chromecast which is more than 5 years old, I haven't really had any issues with it, still seems to work fine and stream all 4, ITV player, Netflix or iPlayer. Are the new ones noticeably better in some way?

I think mine was considerably older than that and came reconditioned with one of the Google Nexus tablets (either the 7 or the 9). It definitely struggled with some of the streaming services

GTV is as you might expect, an Android OS running on the device with a GUI and apps so that you can select directly from the device rather than via the phone and then 'casting' it to the TV. I like the remote and like that it has control over the TV in terms of turning it on/off, input, volume etc.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#70 Re: Chromecast
May 11, 2023, 03:42:41 pm
Any recommendations for an app for casting from Android phone to Amazon Firestick? Vimeo is no longer supported on my TV or the Firestick. There are at least half a dozen, but the free ones I've downloaded have been crap and keep cutting out. Don't mind dropping a few quid on one that is the most reliable. Thanks

Paul B

• forum hero
#71 Re: Chromecast
May 11, 2023, 04:54:53 pm
I take it you're looking for something more sophisticated than screen cast which is built into Android itself?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#72 Re: Chromecast
May 11, 2023, 05:21:53 pm
Yeah, our TV is too old, only casting we can do is through the firestick which needs an app.

remus

• forum hero
#73 Re: Chromecast
May 11, 2023, 05:29:34 pm
If you don't mind spending a little then you could always swap it in for a chromecast, £30 at the mo and well supported across lots of devices in my experience https://store.google.com/config/chromecast_google_tv

You can probably find older models on fb marketplace for a decent price.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#74 Re: Chromecast
May 11, 2023, 05:51:25 pm
Thanks, but, annoyingly, there is one in the house. Somewhere. Last saw it when we took it on holiday a year ago, and pretty sure it came back. No idea where now it is now though, hence the reluctance to buy another, when if I can spend a fiver on a reliable app it will do the same thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal