technical > computers, technology and the internet

Chromecast

(1/16) > >>

slackline:
Dedicated thread for Chromecast stuff.

I document some stuff here (will load slowly as its running on my NAS).  They are one of the simplest pieces of hardware I've ever had to install/configure (so easy my technophobe wife could do it).  NetFlix/YouTube/iPlayer and all the other default supported programs work fine casting from the tablet or phone (all of which are running >= Android 4.2*).

To cast anything (web-pages, local content, media from a uPnP server on your home network) I'd recommend using LocalCast (free and works very well, picks up Mediatomb uPnP and my ReadyNAS uPnP as well as wifes M$-Win shares).  Don't see the point in paying for a Plex server having already been using Mediatomb for ages (and there not being a version for my GNU/Linux distro of choice anyway).  Found a web-site/Vimeo or anything else you want to cast, then just "Share this page" with LocalCast and it will appear on your TV.

Automation can be achieved with the Tasker plugin AutoCast (potential to turn your TV on & start playing things/showing information etc etc).

The /r/Chromecast sub-reddit is pretty useful (but has a lot of noise of repeated questions, but sift through and there are good posts with useful information and resources).

As has been mentioned elsewhere a lot of what it does can be done with a Raspberry Pi running XBMC, but there isn't any way to get Netflix working on Raspberry Pi's at present (due to lack of Linux support from Netflix) and you need to have the inclination to tinker and learn what you're doing (which not everyone is).  I can envisage TVCatchup/4OD/ITVPlayer/etc. incorporating casting in due course too (none of which currently work on Pi's).

Couple of cool things to cast and have on in the background...

7.5hr timelapse of a train journey in Norway (suggested other videos include a different 5hr journey if you like it)

5 day cruise along the coast of Norway by M/S Nordnorge from Bergen to Kirkenesshortened to 37 minutes

Paul B:

--- Quote from: slackline on April 06, 2014, 01:52:13 pm ---I can envisage TVCatchup/4OD/ITVPlayer/etc. incorporating casting in due course too (none of which currently work on Pi's).

--- End quote ---

Are the plugins currently broken, I used iPlayer just the other night via the Pi?

That said, plugins (in general) do seem to come and go as iplayer etc. change the sites etc. (that, and a text list isn't the easiest form to find things).

slackline:
4oD has been marked as broken for quite some time (Full list of Add-ons).

<aside>
I'll be re-deploying my Pi to replace my NAS using WoL and rsync to scheduled via cron on my main system to boot it and back up my main server as I've decided having a NAS thats on 24/7 is overkill as my desktop is on anyway.</aside>

Obi-Wan is lost...:
Had one since Christmas (US version, present from my 'early-adopter' bro  ;))
Initial experience although easy to set up and neat, was that it replicated built in features of our TV and Sony blu-ray.

However last night found a great feature that neither of the others let me do. My bro has a Synology Diskstation NAS on his network which he's given me access to. There is a set of Android Diskstation apps including a video one...which is chromecast compatible.

So my bro has ripped all his DVDs to his NAS, and I can access them via my Nexus tablet and them use Chromecast to play them on my TV like a private Netflix. Great quality, no lag or freezing issues. Now we just need our bro in law who has 1000s of movies to do the same.  :popcorn:

slackline:
Thats what I was alluding to when I mentioned using Mediatomb.  Your brothers NAS will have some sort of uPnP on it which broadcasts the media on it for other devices (PS3, RaspBMC, Chromecast etc.) to pick up and play back.  Sounds like you've got this working over the t'internet by setting up port-forwarding of some description?

Although re-reading it could be that the NAS is serving up the files as a network share that the tablet can see (e.g. through ES File Explorer) and these are then being cast.

Be interested in the finer details as I can then share my media with my brother too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version