UKBouldering.com

Rodellar before the campsites open (Read 2108 times)

AJM

• obsessive maniac
Rodellar before the campsites open
April 03, 2014, 03:21:49 pm
I was planning to be in Rodellar just for a few days middle of next week, but both the campsites seem to be closed until Easter if I've understood their websites right.

We are in a van and from what I've heard its one of the few places in Spain where they actually actively try and discourage you from van camping and move you on?

Has anyone any beta on where to park up out of the way (I guess for a few days we could just bite the bullet and drive a reasonable distance back out of town, but how wide is the area in which they care?) or what they do if they find you there parked up in a van because there's no other option (with the campsites being closed)? It doesn't mention it, but I assume you can't park by kalandraka for some sort of small parking fee or anything like that?

Also, kalandraka mentions a washing machine - anyone know if that includes a drier?

Cheers,

Andy

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Rodellar before the campsites open
April 03, 2014, 04:17:44 pm
Hi Andy, when I was there last summer loads of people were staying in their vans in the big car park next to the hotel as you go into the village (I forget the name). I got the impression they only really did something once it got quite busy. Might be worth asking in the Kalandraka about that - they might not mind because its likely to be quiet at the minute, especially if you're going and buying food occasionally.

It has washing machines but no drier.

wsmith

• player
    • Hard Wood Holds
#2 Re: Rodellar before the campsites open
April 03, 2014, 04:19:46 pm
I was there a fair bit last year, although I was staying in the Kalandraka, not a van. Loads of people stay in their vans in the big car park on the left as you enter the village and along the road. I heard mixed things about it. I don't think the police come round often, but I did hear of people getting fines if they got caught clearly 'camping'. Driving back up the road out of the village wouldn't be worth it, van camping is officially banned over the whole park. At least staying in the car park gives you some safety in numbers and the ability to claim you are legitimately parking.

The Kalandraka people are really friendly, I imagine they would let you stay in their car park for a small fee. If not, you could always pay the fee for a shared room there (which is cheaper than camping!) and that gives you a parking permit for their car park.

Kalandraka has a washing machine, dont remember a dryer. They've got a drying line.

wsmith

• player
    • Hard Wood Holds
#3 Re: Rodellar before the campsites open
April 03, 2014, 04:20:37 pm
You beat me to it Ben.

csl

• junky
#4 Re: Rodellar before the campsites open
April 03, 2014, 05:18:53 pm
Andy,

I'm out there from May 10th, so would be good to know how dry it all is if you get a chance to report back!

Thanks,

Conor

abarro81

• forum hero
#5 Re: Rodellar before the campsites open
April 03, 2014, 08:01:16 pm
I stayed in the car park. The impression I got was that they only get hot on kicking you out when peak season arrives.. I had no probs for all of that may.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Rodellar before the campsites open
April 04, 2014, 11:49:02 am
Brilliant thanks guys. Ill chance the car park then, or maybe pop and have a chat with Kalandraka - have washing to do anyway and that's where our friends are staying and it'd be handy to have a "safe" base with somewhere to hang things up to dry and that sort of thing...

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Rodellar before the campsites open
April 04, 2014, 11:53:33 am
I stayed in the car park. The impression I got was that they only get hot on kicking you out when peak season arrives.. I had no probs for all of that may.

I think it heavily depends on the behaviour of its inhabitants. When we were there somebody took it upon themselves to destroy the toilet block and that got locked and some people were moved on IIRC.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#8 Re: Rodellar before the campsites open
April 04, 2014, 01:23:46 pm
Is it dry in Rodellar now?

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Rodellar before the campsites open
April 05, 2014, 01:32:52 pm
Is it dry in Rodellar now?

I've some friends who are arriving today who might be able to tell me more, in which case I'll reply back, but some other friends spoke to Kalandraka about accommodation a few days ago and they were claiming that it's been a fairly dry spring and stuff has been drying pretty well. No idea on reliability of that mind you. And it rained solid for about 24 hours on Thursday here (Terradets/Tres Ponts).

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#10 Re: Rodellar before the campsites open
April 07, 2014, 07:47:00 am
The Italian girl who runs Kalandraka is usually spot on

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal