UKBouldering.com

The GB Bouldering Team needs your help! (Read 26028 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I was pondering this regarding Sport England funding, what's stopping a 'team' registering as a 'club' with strict joining criteria ie. can climb 8b?

monkey boy

• forum hero
We do get Sport England funding through the BMC but that is split between all the teams and each pot of money has stipulations to where it can be spent ie. for grassroots development or coaching expertise's or elite teams.

mina

A massive thank you to everyone who has supported us!

We have raised our target and this gets us back to where we were before our lost funding!

We are now able to part fund 3 team members for the full season and 7 team members to 4 European events. We couldn't have done his without you!

We didn't expect to hit our target in one day! - the Crowd Funding was supposed to run for 6 weeks. We had a meeting last night and decided that we will keep the site running up until the first World Cup in 3 weeks so that if people want to keep donating then they can. All further donations will continue to go towards travel costs for the team, reducing the level of self-funding for team members.

We all felt that the climbing community has been amazing and really come through for us.

Thank you all so much!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Almost at 9 1/2 K!

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Quote from Mina on the BMC website "We are also trying to organise getting a logo on our kit that reads something like "Supported though Crowd Funding by amazing people".

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
When I saw this originally I thought the same as Barrows, "Do they really think this will work?"  I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised it has done so well.  I would wager part of this stems back to the work the team GB members (Mina, Shauna, Ned, Et all.) have done working in the community and involving themselves professionally doing talks, slideshows, CAC, etc.  They've indirectly built a platform for Team GB which other climbers think is worth supporting.  They've also set the stage for the next generation of climbers to do the same.

Im the member of a small bouldering facility in Macclesfield, we have 33 members. We all decided that donating to help the GB bouldering team was a good idea so we gave them £750.
We are a BMC registered club as well as being CASC registered (Community Amateur Sports Club). We take full advantage of these benefits so its only right that when another club is in need we do our best to help... So we did.

This makes complete sense to me, and my first thought was that climbing gyms should be the ones supporting team GB.  After all, they're likely the ones benefitting the most directly from the athletes spotlight.

abarro81

• forum hero
and that's a very unfortunate photo...

Ha. Don't want to know what slackline googled to find that...

At the end of the day Alex, you're in it for yourself. Self-centred and driven. Climbing is often like that. But it doesn't really tug the heart-strings

I stuggle to believe that those on the team are competing for altruistic reasons if that's what you're implying?!

mindfull

• menacing presence
    • Blog
At the end of the day, I'm happy for Mina, Shauna, Dave and others that they are backed up by a great GB community. Respect. I don't see that happen so fast in Belgium.  :great:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
and that's a very unfortunate photo...

Ha. Don't want to know what slackline googled to find that...

toboggan llandudno

Don't tell me you've spent time working problems  in the cave but never been up through the gardens to the ski-centre and toboggan run?  :shrug:

tomtom

• forum hero
and a new euphemism is born "pulling your brake lever".....

petejh

• forum hero
Don't tell me you've spent time working problems  in the cave but never been up through the gardens to the ski-centre and toboggan run?  :shrug:

Dry ski approach followed by an ascent of the 175m long XS girdle of Craig Pen y Gogarth 'A Winter's Tale' and a cuppa in the caf to finish - it's like a destitute version of a day in the Mont Blanc massif.

daprince

• regular
    • timeticks
An all round good news story for my money. It got me thinking a bit. Firstly should we do this every year? And I wonder if they will perform better as a result?

http://www.timeticks.co.uk/2014/04/we-are-all-in-this-together.html

cowboyhat

• forum hero

Also even when I am training the hardest I have ever trained Mina is still doing loads more than me. At the moment she does 2-3 sessions a day 5 days a week with 2 days off and on those days she runs and stretches. She is ridiculously strict on what she eats etc. She is good outdoors and puts a lot into outdoor climbing but the energy, effort and hard work she puts in for comps completely eclipses what she has to for outside.

This is good to know because I had worried that the 'Team' was a collection of solo enthusiastic amateurs applying ad hoc training they read on the internet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal