UKBouldering.com

BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY? (Read 7513 times)

walterbiggins

BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
November 22, 2010, 10:32:39 am
 :wave: HELLO! IM NEW TO BOULDERING AND HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA OF ANY OUTDOOR PLACES TO GO! I WENT TO BOULDER UK YESTERDAY AND ABSOLUTELY BUZZED ABOUT IT!

If anyone knows of any outdoor simple boulders i could visit that would be awesome!

Thanks!

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#1 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
November 22, 2010, 10:43:15 am
The best place for you to start is probably Brownstones, however the Pond end is completely wet... Guide http://brownstones.wetpaint.com/, lots of people climbe there on here:

Elsewhere there is plenty of bouldering in the Lancs quarries, see here: http://members.multimania.co.uk/southlancsbouldering/homeslb.htm you have Craig Y Longridge for when you get a bit stronger,

basically there's loads

walterbiggins

#2 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
November 22, 2010, 11:14:17 am
 :goodidea: nice one! i shall definately be checking these place out soon! :)

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#3 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
November 22, 2010, 01:26:00 pm
...also, chorley.. you are very close to denham and anglezarke, limited stuff but 5mins drive. And if builderings your thang, there's a couple of towers on the car park by the Swan with 2 necks in town centre, good for a play.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
November 22, 2010, 03:03:32 pm
Where abouts are you?
There's a lot of stuff in the quarries, plus some quality venues of Longridge/ Brownstones.

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#5 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
November 22, 2010, 03:39:57 pm
...also, chorley.. you are very close to denham and anglezarke, limited stuff but 5mins drive. And if builderings your thang, there's a couple of towers on the car park by the Swan with 2 necks in town centre, good for a play.

Eh? I didn't know that. I work in Chorley and park outside the pub when going to the bank on a lunchtime. Where abouts are they?

CBA

• player
  • Gin drinking underachiever
    • Unrepentant man child
#6 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
November 22, 2010, 04:52:39 pm
 The buildering's on the pay and display carpark at the bottom of Hollinshead St,on a couple of steepish slabby things. Worth a sniff if you're really bored. The roving alcoholics from the hostel opposite provide some entertainment too. In fact they're probably more fun than the buildering... ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 05:00:52 pm by CBA »

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#7 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
November 22, 2010, 06:57:37 pm
And if builderings your thang, there's a couple of towers on the car park by the Swan with 2 necks in town centre, good for a play.

Is that before or after a few pints of Pendle Witch?

Has anyone checked out the wall on your right hand side on the way down the the Swan. Gotta be prime for stamina trav-fests and highballs......

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#8 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
November 23, 2010, 12:42:04 am
There's a bit of buildering scattered about the area - I once asked around, and this is what I garnered. It's all on the southlancs website.

Beaumont Road Bridge - Park up on the bridge facing Chorley new road and scramble down under bridge C/N/road side and just traverse or climb up to the bridge proper resting places at the top then reverse the way you got up. Now that mats are available take one for first visit. (Geoff Mann)

Chorley bridge - Similiar to Egerton nature reserve bridge, a bit steeper maybe but about 40/50 foot wide. I went down with hammer n chisel years ago but freaked the people in the house close by out, so bottled chippin anymore holds. Definately worth checkin out,... bottom of cowling brow in Chorley turn down crosse hall street past the scrappys until the road peeters out. N its right in front of you. The leeds liverpool canal goes over the top of it. (Paul R)

Chorley Car Park - If you're passing through Chorley then have a look at the car park behind 'the swan with two necks'. 3 towers the biggest about 40 foot high with routes all over them. Bring a pad as you'll need it. The front faces are 5 deg. slabs and on the big tower the left arête is about E4 6b the centre a monstrously hard E5 6c the right arête about E3/4 6a. The outside of the right arête is vertical, well sustained and about E5 with a 6b move grabbing the top. The outside of the left arête is still unclimbed and being about 45foot high with solid 6b/6c at the top, must be E7. The landing is the car park, so if you land on a pad usually alright. The other towers somewhat smaller but excellent problems including a dyno of the pay and display machine for the top.
Absolute quality, a secret until now. (Paul R)

Darwen Chimney - The big chimney in Darwen needs an ascent, pointing is poor at the moment so 300ft of 5c/6a climbing. Good training for right wall. (Alphin)

Egerton Nature reserve bridge - SD 702 147 Possibility of a hard traverse above a flat pebbled landing. Seeps on one side during winter.

Great Harwood Viaduct - I think the road is the A680, the one that runs between Whalley and Clayton le moors. You turn left at Checco's restaurant, and it is sign posted for some hat makers or something. Basically the road takes you directly under one of the arches where you can park in a layby and hop the stile to the foot of the pillar - minimum walkage. Not bad for traversing round one leg of pillar, nice grassy landings - it's in a lush green field, but away from the roads and general public, and directly next to the river (obviously I guess). Wouldn't have thought it was very sheltered though as it is in quite an open situation facing down the valley. The traverse is pumpy and you can alter the difficulty by going high/low missing holds etc. Also a few probs up on the front face of pillar - pretty crimpy in places. The probs are also what you make them - I guess with eliminates you could invent some V5/6. Used to be able to top rope the whole thing but I think access is now denied from the top due to closure by land owner or whatever. Bottom is on a footpath though so is no problem. (Obi Wan)

Longton Bridge - When I was a youth I used to boulder for hours on the gritstone railway bridge supports (the arches were knocked down before my time) on the long-defunct Preston to Southport lines just south of Longton. Lots of fun; they haven't moved. (DesertSled)

Rivington Castle - complete traverse round the outside starting about mid-height and continue all the way round. Don't fall off above the spiked fence (if its still there). Also traverse around the inside of the round rooms using the windows as resting places. Lots of mantels etc. over the arches basically make it up as you go. (Geoff Mann)

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#9 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
November 23, 2010, 03:46:26 pm
Kinel i was a bit excited when i wrote those descriptions for the car park towers... E7s a bit hopeful.

Longton bridge sounds fun... any more idea on exact location r-man

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
March 31, 2014, 01:36:35 pm

Presumably the one on Hall Carr Lane?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#11 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
March 31, 2014, 02:40:49 pm
Look reasonable for a spot of fun.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.713641,-2.802174,3a,75y,296.05h,78.48t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s8iKvqgoJF1hrvERNwGwMHw!2e0

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#12 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
March 31, 2014, 02:58:01 pm
That's the one.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: BOULDERING NEAR CHORLEY?
March 31, 2014, 03:06:51 pm