UKBouldering.com

Phones for oldies. (Read 1489 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Phones for oldies.
February 26, 2014, 04:57:35 pm
My dad's still on a 10+ year old flip phone but has decided he wants to get something "fancy" as his has pretty much stopped getting signal anywhere...

He's been on a sim only contract with vodafone for ages and wants to upgrade with them and the phones he has looked at are the Samsung S3 mini (free) and S4 mini (£80).

I also found the iPhone 4S for free on the same tarrif and price.

Now, I'm a bit out of touch with technology but I'm assuming he will just use it like a normal phone whilst maybe venturing onto BBC sport once in a while.  He's not the best with this kind of thing but when a man wants something etc etc...

So, are either any easier to use? I've never really been on an iPhone before.

Or any other recommendations would be welcome. It will need to look more hi-tech than a 10+ year old piece of shit, be able to get Sky Go on so he can get excited for a short while, be useable for a technophobe, and make him feel young.

Ta.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Phones for oldies.
February 26, 2014, 05:03:34 pm
The experience on the S3 and S4 will be virtually identical since they are both running Android (with Samsung's TouchWiz customisations over the top).

Can't comment on iPhone's useability.

Paul B and Nai both rate their Motorola Moto G which will likely be very cheap if not free and has a decent specification.

If he's going to use Sky Go then make sure he has a sufficient data allowance otherwise he could get hit with a hefty bill.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2 Re: Phones for oldies.
February 26, 2014, 05:14:59 pm
Yeah I use the S4 now so assumed they would have a similar system on etc which would be handy for helping out. Not sure if there's any differences though. I'm wondering if the small screen might be problematic for typing on the touch-screen keyboard. Never actually been on one though...

I'll have a look at the Moto too, thanks. I think the sky go will be a once or twice thing that he uses on wifi to be honest, though I'll definitely consider data just incase. He's getting jealous of everyone on his work shifts being able to watch the football haha!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Phones for oldies.
February 26, 2014, 05:22:10 pm
Yeah I use the S4 now so assumed they would have a similar system on etc which would be handy for helping out. Not sure if there's any differences though. I'm wondering if the small screen might be problematic for typing on the touch-screen keyboard. Never actually been on one though...

You can adjust the size of text under Android.  Under stock its..

Settings > Display > Font Size

There are also Accessibility settings to increase it further...

Settings > Accessibility > Large Text

(It might be different after Samsung have overlaid TouchWiz, but I wiped it about a year ago when I switched to CyanogenMod and can't remember, you can check where they are on your S4 though).

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#4 Re: Phones for oldies.
February 26, 2014, 05:24:57 pm
Old men often have fat fingers, especially if they have done some manual labour. Despite being not that old and having done just some manual labour I have unusually thick fingers (and very thick skin on my hands). Iphone and other touch screen phones of similar size are next to useless to me, so I went for note II which had the largest screen available on the market at the time and I will stick to the same strategy when I buy the next one.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Phones for oldies.
February 26, 2014, 05:31:03 pm
I've got a s3 Mini, I'm a fat fingered twat and manage OK most of the time. It's a Samsung Android phone, does what you ask of it.

There are still some phones about which combine smart phone capability with a normal touchpad (mostly Nokias), would he prefer that?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Phones for oldies.
February 26, 2014, 05:35:35 pm
Despite being not that old and having done just some manual labour I have unusually thick fingers (and very thick skin on my hands).

I can't imagine what you might have done over the years to cause that.  :-\ :clown:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#7 Re: Phones for oldies.
February 26, 2014, 08:07:39 pm
Not sure about the mini, but the S4 has a simplicity mode which is a very basic and large format layout

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal