UKBouldering.com

Sheffield city centre snooker / pool playing pub knowledge (Read 4306 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Word up.

Am in Sheffield this weekend to watch the snooker with a mate and looking like we'll have some time to kill. We'd like somewhere for a chilled afternoon of pints and pool Saturday (we're in the 7pm session at Crucible), and somewhere to play snooker Sunday morning before we head back to Crucible for 2.30pm.

Been a good while since I lived in the city so just wanted to tap the hive mind in terms of places in the city centre / not too far away for playing snooker and/or pool. Decent ales / scran / UKBers in attendance desirable but not essential.

So far I've got...

Pool:

Common Room, Division Street
Cobden View, Crookes

Snooker:

Riley's, Ecclesall Rd

Any advance on them?

Have tried to persuade my mate that a few in The Sheaf and then some pissed up bouldering on the Heeley Boulder would be fun but he's not buying it!

Cheers in advance.

TTT

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Pool:

Common Room, Division Street
Cobden View, Crookes

Other options in or near the city centre are...

Red Lion which is just round the corner from the Crucible where its £1/game.
Roebuck Tavern again just round the corner from the Crucible and it too is £1/game.

A bit further away (but my preference over the Red Lion and Roebuck when fancying a frame of seven) is The Royal Standard  50p/game. (Farcebook / Twatter) very friendly, run by the guys in a band called The Velcro Teddy Bears and two nice dogs who wander round.

In the other direction just out of town (but not as far as the Cobden) is the Star & Garter where its 50p a game.

Snooker:

Riley's, Ecclesall Rd

Hallamshire House in Crookesmoore used to have a snooker and a pool table, although I know for sure that they ditched the pool table when Thornbridge took over, but am unsure whether the snooker table survived the tendification.
The Old Grindstone (a shadow of its former self) still has a snooker table (I think its 3/4 size).

Would come and join you for a few frames but am heading to Cornwall this weekend, have fun. :beer2:

SamT

• forum hero

http://www.barabbey.com/p/snooker

Just across from the Sheaf.

Not sure what it takes to become a member, but its not exactly expensive at 10 fuck alls for the year.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Just to +1 slackers post, hallamshire house has an intimidatingly large snooker table

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Quite a few listed here
http://www.sheffield.org.uk/local/Sports_and_Recreation/Pool_and_Snooker/
Think theres a Rileys snooker place behind the Lescar, so your spoilt for choice of pubs around there.
http://www.rileys.co.uk/clubs/122-rileys-sports-bar-hunters-bar-sheffield

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Sorry - meant to add to my original post.

I gather that Riley's was in the process of a refit (well it was at the time of last year's World Championship)...anyone know if they've completed it / it's not a complete hovel?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
a few pints in the Sheaf and then pop round to Langton's for some snooker/pool/american pool and a spliff? 1 min walk

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Cheers all for recommendations, sure we'll get ourselves sorted out.

I am conscious that I've drank more than 3 pints in a sitting once in the last 12 weeks, so will be taking it easy on Saturday - I don't want to be one of those people who drops off to sleep in the evening session and then gets picked up by the TV cameras!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Oh, and one more thing...thinking about options for an early tea on Saturday late afternoon...am I right that The Old House / Forum are still decent for food?

James Malloch

• forum hero
Oh, and one more thing...thinking about options for an early tea on Saturday late afternoon...am I right that The Old House / Forum are still decent for food?

Both are pretty good, as is bungalows and bears for burgers etc on the same street.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal