UKBouldering.com

Froggatt - Tree Fellers Want Directions (Read 2568 times)

dave

Froggatt - Tree Fellers Want Directions
February 13, 2014, 10:20:16 am
No this isn't a thread about a trio of disoriented irishmen....

As you might have seen the Eastern Moors peeps have been doing some tree thinning work around Froggatt and Curbar to open things up a bit more, including a lot of the climbing buttresses. At the BMC meeting last night Dave Brown asked us if I could think of any more bits of Froggatt, specifically north of Brookside buttress, that would benefit from a bit of tree clearance to open things up a bit more for bouldering.

They're not thinking of individual trees getting in the way of problems, more like whole areas/bays/buttresses that could do with more light, maybe ones that are currently a bit dank or green.

I said I would canvas opinions and feedback. I might try for a walk out after work in the next couple of weeks to check out any potential spots, but if anyone can think of any butresses that could use a bit of TLC (no scrubs) post up. Potentially any other bits of froggatt or curbar generally might be doable too. Ideally somewhere you've checked out recently that deffo didn't get done in their last chopping stint last year.

The work will be done around the 23rd March, so don't leave it too long. next tree chopping down after this will be autumn.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Froggatt - Tree Fellers Want Directions
February 13, 2014, 10:35:17 am
The obvious candidate would be Downes buttress. The quarried bay just north with the classics Downes crack and Glass Slipper gets a bit of traffic but the main natural buttress is mostly moss. There is a decent circuit around this area that would benefit from some thinning, plus a couple of boulders on top of the edge which don't offer much climbing but would enhance the landscape value if opened up.

dave

#2 Re: Froggatt - Tree Fellers Want Directions
February 13, 2014, 10:38:02 am
Aye that's the one that jumped out at me. Must be a few more oddments too.

cofe

• forum hero
#3 Re: Froggatt - Tree Fellers Want Directions
February 13, 2014, 10:41:44 am
Downes and the stuff just below (Chin Mania), the Barrel just north again (Barrel Organist etc). That'd be a good start.

What's the scope for a bit more clearance around the Sunset Boulders? Surely they'd benefit.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#4 Re: Froggatt - Tree Fellers Want Directions
February 13, 2014, 11:28:10 am
What's the scope for a bit more clearance around the Sunset Boulders? Surely they'd benefit.

If you could create a clearing big enough, then probably. I haven't been for a while, but I vaguely remember the trees are not so near the boulders, but mostly very tall.

Also, some of the green streaks are caused by run off from earth on top of the boulders, which is created by decomposing leaf piles. If you could chop the main ones that shed on to the boulders, they might stay clean longer. You'd probably need to shovel some of the muck off the top afterwards.

cofe

• forum hero
#5 Re: Froggatt - Tree Fellers Want Directions
February 13, 2014, 01:15:41 pm

If you could create a clearing big enough, then probably. I haven't been for a while, but I vaguely remember the trees are not so near the boulders, but mostly very tall.

Also, some of the green streaks are caused by run off from earth on top of the boulders, which is created by decomposing leaf piles. If you could chop the main ones that shed on to the boulders, they might stay clean longer. You'd probably need to shovel some of the muck off the top afterwards.

Very mossy a couple of months back. Agreed on the muck on top, but opening that area up would really help. Emerald Aisle looked like it needed shaving. Proper beardy.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#6 Re: Froggatt - Tree Fellers Want Directions
February 13, 2014, 03:49:28 pm
Would be great to have those boulders in condition more often.

We probably should have cleaned Emerald Aisle more when we first did it. We just cleaned the holds. Has anyone repeated this, or has the moss been too off-putting?

cofe

• forum hero
#7 Re: Froggatt - Tree Fellers Want Directions
February 13, 2014, 07:42:02 pm
I went once but it was wet (yet pretty clean). Now it's crazy mossy. Vertical green shagpile. Looks a good problem. These things need a good clean, a few trees gone, and a video making to drive some traffic. Then they might stay cleaner.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#8 Re: Froggatt - Tree Fellers Want Directions
February 13, 2014, 07:59:03 pm
Agree with all the above. Sunset area would benefit from a good clearance, maybe including the tree/s on top of the sunset boulder itself. There's also a tree right next to what would be a great little prow nearby if the tree went. Maybe also near Green 45 and Sound of One foot Slipping.
There's a big boulder down the hill from Moon Buttress would have a couple of decent things on it sans tree.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal