UKBouldering.com

Bristol gets ?fifth climbing wall (Read 17698 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#25 Re: Bristol gets ?fifth climbing wall
March 06, 2014, 02:41:29 pm

There you go! I though you had roped climbs too matt.

Nah, just bouldering and training room.
Can't say too much or Shark will invoice me...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#26 Re: Bristol gets ?fifth climbing wall
March 06, 2014, 03:16:56 pm
But I can!

http://www.theboulderbunker.com/

Wow, this place looks great! :)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#27 Bristol gets ?fifth climbing wall
March 06, 2014, 09:17:01 pm
Damn, that needs updating! New web site is coming online soon...

It got put on the back burner while we organise building a roof (money. There's never enough).

remus

• forum hero
#28 Re: Bristol gets ?fifth climbing wall
March 06, 2014, 10:48:20 pm
I've been using TCA a fair bit over winter and have had a couple of sessions at bloc now. For what it's worth:

Prefer the setting at bloc so far, more variety of moves. As Duma mentioned they'll need to keep a good team of setters on call to keep it interesting.

Training facilities are a bit lackluster at the moment, woody has potential but needs some smaller holds. Would be nice if they use another one of the back walls as a woody as well. Campus board looks a lot better than the TCA one, can actually get on it when there's other people in the wall. Will be nice when they get some fingerboards up. Bloc circuit board looks a bit shit, corner leaves too much room for technique.

Finding bloc really warm at the minute, think its going to get mega toasty come summer. Bloc is a lot more open than TCA, makes it a lot nicer to climb there as you're not always looking over your shoulder for flying punters.

Both are shit compared to The Climbing Station.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#29 Re: Bristol gets ?fifth climbing wall
March 08, 2014, 08:26:27 pm
Yeah the extra moves that the height gives you is good.

The problem changeover at TCA has been slowing down recently which isn't great.

This is largely a result of all the comps over the winter which take time out from the regular setting schedule - hopefully this'll get back up to speed now we're out of the comp season.

thats a fair point but last winter the circuits changed a lot more frequently and there were comps as well. There has been some general slackness going on. Maybe Bloc opening will make the changeovers speed up again! Lets hope so.

On that note I went to the new place last night. I thought there were some really good points to it. As previously mentioned the height of the place was really cool. Lots of vertical wall and steep slab areas which made a welcome change from the relentless overhangs of some places. Problem setting was good, I had fun and did some nice moves so I was happy. Can't comment on the coffee as didn't try. The top out boulder is a waste of space - literally. Also the main overhang sections (sort of like the comp wall) could have been a lot better by being more overhanging. Didn't check out woody or circuits so can't comment.
I'll deffo be visiting there and TCA in the future there are good and bad points to both.

Are you serious? Its not bad but its a bit claustrophobic and some of the setting is really bad. I'd rather climb at either of the two Bristol walls mentioned...

remus

• forum hero
#30 Re: Bristol gets ?fifth climbing wall
March 12, 2014, 08:00:23 pm

Are you serious? Its not bad but its a bit claustrophobic and some of the setting is really bad. I'd rather climb at either of the two Bristol walls mentioned...

Overall I don't find the setting any better or worse than most other walls. Some crud but plenty of good stuff as well. Never really found it claustrophobic, especially compared to somewhere like TCA or UCR where you can hardly get on a problem without fear of getting someones head up your arse. They've also got the best circuit boards I've ever used, a usable campus board/fingerboard setup and a pretty good woody. For me no bristol wall ticks all those boxes.

cha1n

• forum hero
#31 Re: Bristol gets ?fifth climbing wall
March 14, 2014, 01:12:37 pm
After realising that Omar15 gave me - karma for my comment about Simon, I must admit that I was wrong to say the last part of my last post. I stick my comments about going behind TCA's back but I shouldn't have added the other part.

Duma

• forum hero
#32 Re: Bristol gets ?fifth climbing wall
March 14, 2014, 03:05:16 pm
Yeah the extra moves that the height gives you is good.

The problem changeover at TCA has been slowing down recently which isn't great.

This is largely a result of all the comps over the winter which take time out from the regular setting schedule - hopefully this'll get back up to speed now we're out of the comp season.

thats a fair point but last winter the circuits changed a lot more frequently and there were comps as well. There has been some general slackness going on. Maybe Bloc opening will make the changeovers speed up again! Lets hope so.

:offtopic:
The Mothership and circuit boards have been redone over the last week, and el mocho has just been in and set a bunch of new whites (font 7's). new fingerboard and pull up bar in too.
/ :offtopic:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal