UKBouldering.com

keeping it real........ ales that is! (Read 228365 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
(Excluding oddities) wheat beers come in 3 types: Dunkel (dark, unfiltered), Hefe ("yeast" opaque, unfiltered) & my favourite, the clear filtered Kristall.

Maisel's kristall is exemplary

Give it a whirl w/ a chunk of lemon if you get the opportunity this summer.

Paul B

• forum hero
they sell it at the tap...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Good for you  :)

It's one of the larger brands worth drinking.  Avoid:  Erdinger, , Öttinger, Schöfferhofer, & especially, Paulaner.

Paul B

• forum hero
I think I first had it in Pottenstein (Frankenjura), didn't get a slice of lemon though.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I was up helping my dad paint and polish the boat before it goes in the water and went to the Cuilfail Hotel in Kilmelford (15 mins south of Oban).

They had 2 ales on, which was a pleasant surprise - the first I've had before and quite like for it's hoppy flavour:

Not quite American Pale Ale, but a good Pale Ale none the less!

The second was from a craft brewery which is based right next door to the pub. It ale was called Rocky Valley and the brewery is called the Kilmelford Craft Brewey (the company is called Oban Ales IIRC.)

It was a hoppy bittter amber coloured ale. Not sure what the indredients were, but once you got past the slightly sulphurous (and midly offputting) initial aroma, it was a nice balance of bitterness and sweetness. The more you drink the more the hops fade and the subtle sweetness comes through to balance things out. Quite nice, hope they do well and start brewing more (also hope they sort out the aroma...)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
They had this on cask in the city arms in machester last week. A fine pint it was too

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
(Excluding oddities) wheat beers come in 3 types: Dunkel (dark, unfiltered), Hefe ("yeast" opaque, unfiltered) & my favourite, the clear filtered Kristall.

hey... some of those "oddities" are my dearest liquid friends...mmmmmm... weizenbocks.... weizen-eisbocks... getting a craving to seek out a Schneider Aventinus.  That said, with the sunny weather a nice normal hefe would go down a treat... might get down to Booths for a Weihenstephaner.

Duma

• forum hero
Dogfish Head makesome really wonderful beers, which are sadly a pain to get hold of in this country... I have currently drunk too much of this

to give a meaningful review, but if you like hops, it is lovely.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Oh yes. This is the one - best porter I've ever tasted:

Do it!  :beer1:

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
I've not had the anchor porter, but I'd like to try it...
It reminded me however of the Blue Anchor Inn in Helston. Their Spingo beer is bloomin' lovely.

Duma

• forum hero
Spingo! Awesome stuff, especially the specials they do for flora day and christmas.

chappers

• forum hero
beer i have liked recently: pure UBU from the purity brewing company. bloody nice it is, light and refreshing.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Was in Blackfriars in Glasgow the other night for a few birthday ales. In no particular order:

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale....on draught!  :read: OK, so not a "Real Ale" but damn tasty.  :beer1:

Brewdog Skull Candy, 3.8% Pale Ale. Nice and hoppy and tastes a lot stronger than the 3.8% suggests.

Kelburn Goldiehops, 3.8%, similar to the Skull Candy, bit less hoppy. Nice.

This was all after having bouillabaisse for the first time at City Merchant.  :thumbsup:

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • punter
I had a night of brewers passion on Friday

lovely fruity aroma, challenger hops, malt is sovereign and pioneer.

a mighty fine pint indeed :alky: :alky: :alky:

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Thay had the brewer's passion in my local - I'll have to pop in a try one. :thumbsup:

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • punter
They had the brewer's passion in my local - I'll have to pop in a try one. :thumbsup:

Don't delay.  make sure you have a good sniff before quaffing. It's a lovely aroma of passion fruit.
It could be likened to Badgers Golden Glory, but it has a maltier after taste. yum

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Good mention for the Sheffield Tap in this Guardian article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/blog/2010/jun/29/uk-railway-station-pubs

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • punter

I mentioned Knops brewery before but the California Common is a nice summer brew, caramel nose and slight malt finish, was nice cold bottled but I want to find it on tap!

Paul B

• forum hero
Don't delay.  make sure you have a good sniff before quaffing. It's a lovely aroma of passion fruit.
It could be likened to Badgers Golden Glory, but it has a maltier after taste. yum

That sounds like a good rec' right there. However a slight health trip started today. The last passion fruit beer I tasted was something bottled that Nat ordered at the Sheffield tap. It was horrible, overly perfumed, very sweet etc.

chris05

• forum abuser

That sounds like a good rec' right there. However a slight health trip started today. The last passion fruit beer I tasted was something bottled that Nat ordered at the Sheffield tap. It was horrible, overly perfumed, very sweet etc.

I have a feeling it was badgers golden glory that i had a similar reaction to, i.e. overly perfumed and tasted of sweet fruit rather than beer. The girlfriend liked it so it must be bad.

Note: I could be mistakenly refering to a different badger beer

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
No, that sounds about right. Tasty for a mouthful or two, but would struggle to finish more than a half a pint.

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • punter
must be the fags that keep these things not so perfumed for me then!

Am I also alone on the Purple moose brewery as making a good ale? or is that for perfumed ponce's as well   :'(

Dolly

• forum hero
I had a bottle of some of their stuff after a ride at Coed y Brenin - they sell it in the cafe there.
Thought it was the best stuff I'd drunk all week in Wales TBH.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Urgh... That Mws ...

They had/have (?) it occassionally at that trash pizza night in Llanber'; it did nothing to improve my woeful opinion of the dive.

Finding Kapuziner (a Kulmbacher Brauerei product) to be most aggreable of late; normally I'd take the filtered hefe but this is just dandy (no sign of the heartburn that normally accompanies my drinking of these cloudy beers).

Obligatory monk mit beir und scrofula label >

Dolly

• forum hero
Just had a pint of Summer Solstice in the Kelham Island.
Very interesting. Like a pale ale but with more of a hint of ginger in the aftertaste.
I think its a refreshing one pinter rather than a "session beer"  Apparently made with coriander and all the way from Brighton.

Apart from the beer the best thing about the trip to the pub was hearing a bloke at the bar describing his new shorts from T J Hughes as "double dead reight" ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal