UKBouldering.com

keeping it real........ ales that is! (Read 228395 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Traditional boozers soon to be a thing of the past at this rate  :thumbsdown:

It would help if Tax weren't so high (~33% of the price).

The other thing that would help would be to get rid of the fucking poncy branded glasses which only get nicked, leave you without any glasses and cost the drinker to be replaced!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
There are too many shitty pubs in Britain, and too many shitty people in shitty pubs.  I think this is a good thing. 

I doubt this will make Britons leaner, fitter and less alcoholic - but one can hope.

dave

I love how people blame the smoking ban for pubs having to close. don't blame the ban, blame the fucking lazy smoking cunts.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
How can encouraging non-smokers back into pubs be bad for trade?

All we need now do is teach smokers to put their butts in the bins and ashtrays provided and not on the floor or doorway and we'll have domesticated them fully  :whistle:

Now I like an ale (don't get me wrong) but for me pub culture is over-rated.  I drink at home because I don't like drunks, yobs staring me out etc..  I have better music, decor, general atmosphere/company @ home; not to mention not paying 3x more for a product than it's reasonably worth ...  I mean, have you seen the wines available in British pubs ...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Traditional boozers soon to be a thing of the past at this rate  :thumbsdown:

The other thing that would help would be to get rid of the fucking poncy branded glasses which only get nicked, leave you without any glasses and cost the drinker to be replaced!

I've posted about this before. Ah here we are.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Now I like an ale (don't get me wrong) but for me pub culture is over-rated.  I drink at home because I don't like drunks, yobs staring me out etc..  I have better music, decor, general atmosphere/company @ home; not to mention not paying 3x more for a product than it's reasonably worth ...  I mean, have you seen the wines available in British pubs ...

I think you've been going to the wrong pubs if thats the sort of culture you experience.  Sounds like a typical chain pub in a city center.

You can't beat a nice local or country pub which serves a good selection of beer, has warm and welcoming staff who know how to run a pub, especially after a lovely day/evening outside.

All that said, the price of soft-drinks is even worse than beer and wine.  Strines Moor Inn earlier this year was around £2.80 for a pint of coke, and the Golden Fleece in Tremadog on Sunday was £3.00 for a pint of lemonade, thats only £0.05 less than the cost of Stella there :o (sorry to sully the thread with such an abomination of the word beer but I do like a cold lager to quench my thirst at times).

Traditional boozers soon to be a thing of the past at this rate  :thumbsdown:

I've posted about this before. Ah here we are.

I had a vague recollection that someone had mentioned the theiving bastards that are the pub companies, they too should realise that they won't have any business to profit from in the near future  :rtfm:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I think you've been going to the wrong pubs if thats the sort of culture you experience.  Sounds like a typical chain pub in a city center.

Snowdon Inn AKA Y Fricsann, Cwm-Y-Glo.  Drunks, aggro, dire decor, shit beer.

Why must most UK pubs look like some Grandpa's living room?  Horse brasses FFS, and what's that miniature plough doing hanging from the ceiling, ha ha!  It's a poor imitation of culture, take it, you're very welcome  ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Snowdon Inn AKA Y Fricsann, Cwm-Y-Glo.  Drunks, aggro, dire decor, shit beer.

Why must most UK pubs look like some Grandpa's living room?  Horse brasses FFS, and what's that minature plough doing hanging from the ceiling, ha ha!  It's a poor imitation of culture, take it, you're very welcome  ;)

There will always be good/bad pubs and some exceptions to the generalist rule that a crap pub tends to be a bar in a city center full of chavs.

They don't have to look like Gradnpa's living room, but many do, its something called h e r i t a g e  :P

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
 :lol:

I like the closing quip...

Then there's the added factor that a pub with children in it isn't really a pub, it's a fucking hell hole.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
This isn't a real ale, but it went down very well at home sweet home barely half an hour ago:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
too sickly for my palette

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

Spanish John

• regular

York Brewery - Centurions Ghost
The Blue Anchor Brewery  - Spingo
Most brews by brewdog are tasty

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8170813.stm

18.2% beer anyone? Given it comes from Fraserburgh, this is what the kids are weaned on.

Spanish John

• regular
tasty brew, doesn't taste as strong as it is, and it now makes tennants super a pish weak lager! :dance1:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Ordered 3 bottles yesterday. One to try, and 2 to sell once limited edition run is over.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Brewdog have some form with these "stunt beers": their Atlantic IPA was kept for two months in a North Atlantic mackeral trawler to give it that authentic sea-aged taste!  That said, their normal beers are good too, the Hardcore and Punk IPAs are as pleasantly drinkable a pair of tongue battering hop-monsters as you'll get.  The latter was in Tesco on 3 for 2 last time I looked too - less than 90p a bottle for something so citrusy it qualifies as one of your five-a-day. 

Currently though, I'm on a US beer kick - ordered a crate of exotic Imperial Stouts, Double IPAs etc to celebrate my re-entry to employment.  Best so far is Great Divides' Hercules Double IPA: lovely taste and aroma of grapefruit and lemons, balanced by maltiness with the longest finish I've had on a beer - keeps on coming long after the sip.  Incredibly drinkable for something so bitter and alcoholic (9.1% abv).  Next stop - Stone Brewery's Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard! 

Incidentally, the best mail-order place I've found for getting hold of unusual beers is Beers of Europe (despite the name, they're very good for US beers).  The only "problem" is that as delivery is £7.50, seemingly regardless of quantity, you end up buying an entire cellar full for maximum value!

dave

if anything wants an ale thats nicely fresh and sharply hoppy, try this badboy:

Dolly

• forum hero
Did you buy that in Sheff Dave ?

dave

got it in that beer shop on archer road.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8170813.stm

18.2% beer anyone? Given it comes from Fraserburgh, this is what the kids are weaned on.
Toyko *. *? Why the fuck does it need a *? Just like Tesco's Finest fucking *, that is prime kick in the cock territory for the branding cretins.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Ah, some twerp condemns 18% beer but not 74% Absinthe?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Molecules in your beer

Beers not meant to sit on shelves soaking up the rays, its meant to be  :beer1: :beer2: :pissed:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal