UKBouldering.com

keeping it real........ ales that is! (Read 229048 times)

Eddies

• forum hero
Tirril Ale 'Old Fathful' is a fine brew, had a bight night on it last night in the White Lion Patterdale, and was suprised and pleased to wake up to a clear head this morning.

Ger it down ya! :beer1:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#126 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
November 28, 2007, 08:00:56 pm
Had a few bottles of at the weekend
very good it was too. highly recommended

also had many pints of but a little to strong for drinking as a session beer
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 08:08:52 pm by Jim »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#127 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
November 28, 2007, 08:40:36 pm
I'm developing a bit of an addiction to pedigree at the mo. Can't get enough

cofe

• forum hero
#128 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
November 28, 2007, 09:11:53 pm
I'm developing a bit of an addiction to pedigree at the mo. Can't get enough

fool.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#129 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
November 28, 2007, 10:19:00 pm
The bottled stuff is well brown. Very malty.

dave

#130 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
November 28, 2007, 10:22:11 pm
pedigree is pretty brown.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#131 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
December 22, 2007, 10:28:36 am
They don't come more real than Ajon

dave

just thought i'd break this thread the fuck into MMVIII with a shout out for this one, 6.7% Meantime London Porter:

its mighty fine, and comes in a 750ml bottle. you don't have to drink it out of a queer glass. think i actually got this in sainsburys, so its accesible. get startled yeah.

http://www.meantimebrewing.com/london_porter.html

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
http://www.blackislebrewery.com/therange.asp

Quick plug for some local stuff too. The red Kite is pretty fine and can be foind in most tescos locally, not sure about in Englandshire Though.. They claim their organic beers do not give you a hangover. I can, however, testify this is bollocks after drinking large amounts of it at the tartan heart festival.

dave

yeah i've had that shit, you can get it easily in good ale shops down here.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
http://www.meantimebrewing.com/london_porter.html

Gooooood shout - all of meantime's bottles are great.  My other favourites of the black-is-beautiful variety are Copper Dragon's Black Gold, Ossett Treacle Stout, Fullers' London Porter and, for the Sheffield masiv', Kelham Islands' Bete Noir (a Hirisk Stout whatever that is).  Brews to make Guinness weep....

Recently though, thanks largely to my parents' pecuniary beliefs, I've been drinking at lots of Sam Smiths pubs - those of the low prices and generally smelly clientele.  What's come as a massive surprise though is how good most of their bottled beers are.  The cask bitter is shite but their bottled Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, and especially Nutbrown Ale are all dead tasty.  The draught Pure Brewed Lager and wheat beer are both nice too (like Budwar and Hoegarden respectively) though their insistance on serving them in big flower-vase glasses is a bit annoying.  If you see their winter ale and russian stout in bottle shops they're well worth a shot too.

Related heads-ups:

Leeds Beer Festival is 13-15th March at Pudsey Civic Hall (Dawson's Corner).  150 ales, the thursday and friday have 11am-3pm and 5pm-11pm sessions, the saturday is 11am-4pm and 6-11pm.

Doncaster Beer Festival is 27-28th March at The Hub, Chappell Drive (DN1 2RF).  The thursday is 5.30-11pm, the friday and saturday 11am-11pm.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
German bier, mans beer.

Sample:

Andechser bier.  Trad w/ bells on.

Plus Augustiner Hell (lager bier)

Said to be the oldest brewery in Germany 1328, the beer is sublime, I'd feed it to a baby it's so mild yet strong.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Oldest beir in Germany Houd?

Not according to what I've been getting stuck into tonight...don't know if weissbier counts as a "real" ale but I can tell you that this shit it the hotstepper:

Brewing beer since 1040 apparently: http://www.brauerei-weihenstephan.de/index.php?page=home_2_1&

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I know that beer.  It's nothing special.  MOR tasty.  Find Augustiner and question.  Not sure of UK availability.  Isn't every brewery the oldest?  There's loads.

On a weissbier tip, find Andechs. It's expensive and for good reason.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Oh hang on.  Eh up?  Are you suggesting weiss bier is not real ale?  It's far more real and stronger, thicker, more hangover inducing than most UK flat offerings.  I used to think UK beer was the best, then I travelled to Germany and Czechoslovakia and wised up.  Taste sensation territory.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
EFES (Turkey) is also a great pilsner.

A strong cool clean beer, w/ a nice finish. 

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Only cheapskate wreckheads drink Chang . . .

THE Thai beer (followed by Heineken . . .

Best sipped at 2pm as the Austrian minxes are sunning their bosoms on the beach but feet away . . . :whistle:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Oh hang on.  Eh up?  Are you suggesting weiss bier is not real ale?  It's far more real and stronger, thicker, more hangover inducing than most UK flat offerings.  I used to think UK beer was the best, then I travelled to Germany and Czechoslovakia and wised up.  Taste sensation territory.

Word to that - just thought that this might be a bitter-only thread...

Been a fan of the weissbier for a while now, and know what you mean about the hangovers. Remember one Mother's Day when me and my sis were both extremely  :wall: after too much of that shit the night before.

Had a few good 'uns in Bruges last year - will endeavour to remember the names...cheers for the recommendations, I'll keep an eye out.

Oh, and on a different note I can confirm that Sainsburys do stock the porter Dave was reppin' earlier on - I'll be getting me some of that next.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Tesco's also do a perfectly reasonable generic German Weissbier, German import; it's cheap, authentic, tasty, great value.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

dave

The cask bitter is shite but their bottled Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, and especially Nutbrown Ale are all dead tasty.  The draught Pure Brewed Lager and wheat beer are both nice too

Yeah the oatmeal stout is a particular favourite of mine.

That Thai Singha beer is shite.

Had some of this last night in the rising sun, amazing:

and also this ruby stout from the wales had a remarkable roasted flava goin' on:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Mws Piws - hmmm . . .   You're right about it having flavour.  Almost too ripe for me (killer swede in the AM) but it's really popular in Wales. 

Lagers.  They can be real too.  Obviously Stella shouldn't be reprazent but Augustiner is delightful, the label does say it all.  Wasser, malz, hopfen.  (Hell means light.)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I had some bitter from the purple moose brewery a few weeks ago. T'was excellent. Can't rememeber the name off hand

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
1. Old Peculiar. Truly the legend.
2. Black Sheep.
3. Wainrights is alright.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Word, been getting my dark beer on this eve with a bottle of this:

Pivovar Herold, available at Tesco and very tasty too. Just about to even up the balance with a Weissbier.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal