UKBouldering.com

keeping it real........ ales that is! (Read 227004 times)

rossydoodle61

• player
The term "Craft Beer" is largely without meaning (IMO) in the UK and despite it trying to be defined and also protected as a meaningful term, on the most part (maybe excluding London based breweries) it has lost its way. Everyone's opinion on what it means is somewhat different, should size matter? What about how the breweries start up costs were funded? Does everyone working there have to have a beard?

I agree that it's largely without meaning. It just seems to be a general term to try and describe / sell the popularity with well made, or inventive, or experimental, relatively small-batch beers.

However, it's basically used by everyone and is so littered with inconsistencies that it's meaningless. What happens when the big boys use high quality ingredients and produce something with care? Is it craft, or not? What happens when a micro gets bought up and the processes change? When do they stop being 'craft', and become whatever the opposite of craft is?

I know what good beer (for my tastes) is, and I know what isn't. Whether or not it's 'craft' or not is irrelevent. The Ilkley example is a good one. Hawkshead are another. Good beers that are cared for and well thought out, and a nice line of more limited beers different to the usual ales. I dunno if that's craft or not, but I like it. Maybe they just have a craft corner at the brewery...

I'd be keen to know where this term popped up. Wikipedia describes a microbrewery, a nanobrewery and then says;

'Craft brewing' is a more encompassing term for developments in the industry succeeding the microbrewing movement of the later 20th century. The definition is not entirely consistent, but it typically applies to relatively small, independently-owned commercial breweries that employ traditional brewing methods

Which sounds just like the descriptions for micro and nanobreweries.

It's all just artisan bollocks. I don't buy into it. I like beer.

rossydoodle61

• player
Yakima Valley made by Arbor Ales is just stunning. Arbor are another example of a good local brewery who started out doing real ales and have branched out into IPAs. They do both brilliantly with great variety.

Arbor are making really great beers that work so well on cask, keg and bottle. Some of the best in the country, I think.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
@rossydoodle61 : Perhaps the best definition of what a 'craft' beer/brewery is is when the manufacturers decide to call it such.  And if it tastes good what does it matter what its called?  You like good beer, and have the choice to refuse to drink any given beer nice or otherwise if its branding/marketing riles you and that is your prerogative.

Anyway, rather than worrying about completely arbitrary labels/names, back to the more important topic of nice beers...

Exit 33 have been brewing in Sheffield for a few years (and have gone through a few name changes).  They own The Harlequin (or the guy who does the brewing is often in there at least) just down from The Foundry and have a good bitter, pale, stout and porter.  They experiment a bit and a month or so ago had a delicious small batch of stout that had been aged/matured in a whisky barrel.  It was delicious.

The Harlequin always supplements the Exit 33 beers with at least half a dozen other hand pulled beers and does nice food too.  Regular live music in the evenings too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Anyway, back on track.

Been enjoying the Cairgorm Gold lately

http://www.cairngormbrewery.com/index.php?com=ecom&func=view&id=1

As well as Black Isle Red Kite. In fact not had a bad beer from there

http://www.blackislebrewery.com/beer/Red-Kite-Ale.html#.VtgerfmLRQI

no idea if these are classed as Kraft, Micro or Nano.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
This is really tasty for a weaker beer. Good for a driver's pint.

http://www.perfectpint.co.uk/real-ale-beers-info/31039/Black-Iris-Brewery/Snake-Eyes

On the Brewdog story... good luck to them, it's hardly like they are the ghost of Watneys reincarnated to spread tasteless bubbly shite.  CAMRA can be real stupid at times: I left the organisation in the 80s because they defended Nottingham Breweries like Home and Shipstones producing mediocre beer,  too rarely well kept and with a nasty attitude to their tied houses serving guest beers. These days in Nottingham, after the dinosaurs have gone, the city is a comparative beer heaven.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Anyway, back on track.

Been enjoying the Cairgorm Gold lately

http://www.cairngormbrewery.com/index.php?com=ecom&func=view&id=1

As well as Black Isle Red Kite. In fact not had a bad beer from there

http://www.blackislebrewery.com/beer/Red-Kite-Ale.html#.VtgerfmLRQI

no idea if these are classed as Kraft, Micro or Nano.
The back Isle blonde is a bit of a staple for me. I'd take a jackhammer or hardcore ipa over punk any day. As someone else mentioned,  Sierra Nevada torpedo is very nice.

Craft,  micro whatever. Hops seemed to used by some to mask shitty beer, but there's loads of good beer about.

I should really have a night in the 3 judges sometime soon... Haven't had a night of cask beers in a while.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

a dense loner

• forum hero
Having a marstons old empire ipa at moment, first beer I've had in a while where I had a taste n said out loud "fuck that's good"

Dolly

• forum hero
+ 1 for Sierra Nevada torpedo
[/size]
[/size]Had a bottle of this a few weeks ago http://www.perfectpint.co.uk/real-ale-beers-info/27670/Yorkshire-Heart-Brewery/Get-Pithed
Perfect post ride/run/climbing/training beer. Good thirst quencher -  but you have to look oranges

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
There is a new micro brewery called Sentinel Brewing based near the Leadmill at 178 Shoreham Street (formerly Geoff Hall Carpets) which will be opening soon offering food, drinks and a place for events.

This friday at 8pm they are having a 'Meet the Brewer' tutored tasting of 6 core range draft beers on cask and keg for £10 for 6 halves. Paid bar after.

Article about Sentinel here: www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/theatre-of-brewing-ferments-1-6935456

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
2 new ones (to me anyway) from big breweries I had on a bike ride last Friday, both very nice and well balanced, especially suprised by the sapling as it doesn't really sound like it would work

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Just enjoying another really nice beer from beerbods: Plum Porter from the Titanic brewery, stoke on Trent. Just the one mind as connies look boss in the hills tomorrow :thumbsup:

Eddies

• forum hero
Buxton Brewery are coming to Sheffield tomorrow (Friday) for a tap takeover at Shakespeares pub in West bar.
Their putting on 9 cask beers including their new Extra Porter! It's seriously good ale, get involved :)

andy popp

• forum hero
Trip down memory lane: just enjoyed two lovely pints of Pale Rider in Liverpool city centre.

Duma

• forum hero
I've raved about them before on here, but I had the so'hop from moor beer in a can the other day - not nearly as nice as the bottled version (though the bottled stuff is fucking awesome so it was still decent). Buy the bottle if you get a choice.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Had a can of the Moor beer 'raw' last week Duma, very enjoyable!

Duma

• forum hero
I've only had the bottles before this, so maybe its just the so'hop?

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
Moor beers cans and bottles are exactly the same beer just going into slightly different package types.
 I imagine what made the difference between can and bottle for you Duma was maybe how fresh the hops were?
Southern Hemisphere hops have a certain time of harvest and freshness that does alter the taste dramatically.
Never the less, try more Moor cans as they are fantastic!

Duma

• forum hero
Good knowledge gritlad, cheers.

andy_e

• forum hero
More Moor love from me. Shame I can't get hold of them in the barren beer wasteland around here.

rossydoodle61

• player
I really rate cans for beer storage. I made up my mind when I had the same beers in cans and bottles from the US and the cans tasted significantly fresher.

I don't know whether if it's to do with the difference in packaged oxygen or just because the cans hide the beer from light, helping protect against poor handling, but I think it's a superior package for hoppy beers that need freshness. It probably gets less important the fresher the beer is.

More Moor love from me too. I love the Revival and Hoppiness beers. I'm really looking forward to trying the So'Hop.

chris20

• menacing presence
Had the 2015 champion beer of Britain last night at a beer festival - cwtch

A very good beer, well hopped but not hideously and very well balanced.

chris20

• menacing presence
I was on Heath Robinson from Barlow brewery last night.  A really good session bitter, so good I had a couple instead of trying something else.

Duma

• forum hero
More Moor love from me. Shame I can't get hold of them in the barren beer wasteland around here.
Whilst all the moor love is going round, realised the other day their new base is literally down the road from tca bristol. Sweet. Though not for my wallet or waist.

dave

Had a bottle of this in font last week - OOOOOOOFF! Quite hoppy, if you like that sort of thing it's very good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal